Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default November honeymoon at CSS, nervous about reviews

My fiancee and I booked our honeymoon for mid-November at CSS and I'm starting to get a little nervous about our choice. I've been stalking the message boards, and keeping up on trip-advisor reviews, and now I'm doubting our selection of CSS.
    Can someone reassure me?
    The last few trip advisor reviews have not been good, and my hopes are high based on the mostly glowing reviews I've read on the message board. This will be our first trip to an AI resort, but I'm wondering if I should lower my expectations? Or should we consider switching to a different resort? The latest reviews have mentioned poor service from the employees, the rooms are dated, and beach isn't great. Those are concerns for me. I'm curious if the "no tipping" policy might effect the quality of service?
    I know we won't be spending a lot of time in our rooms, but this is our honeymoon so I do expect we'll be there somewhat often. Is the quality in furniture lacking? Should I consider upgrading to a better room? Right now we're booked for a beachfront suite.
    We live in North Carolina, so we get to the beach occasionally. I'm not expecting a pristine beach - I know if that's what we're looking for we should book Negril instead - but I do want to be able to wade in and enjoy it. How rocky is it? Can you just float around and lazily enjoy yourself, or is the water and sand not accommodating for that?
    We don't get to vacation often. This will be our first trip to Jamaica and my fiancee's first trip outside of the U.S. I know it's not going to be perfect, and vacation is what you make of it, etc., but I do want it to be a fun, comfortable trip and I don't want to regret our choice.
    Any help/reassurance would be greatly appreciated!
    Michelle

I don't even read TA any more. While csa is our favorite, we did try css in 09 and we experienced excellent service most of the time. Th food was also oustanding. While the beaches are not Negril, they are still pretty and never felt crowded.
    We had a one bedroom ocean suite (c3) I think and it was HUGE! I really couldn't believe all the room. We didn't hsve the best view but we still enjoyed our veranda for pre breakfast. Could the room use some updates? sure. We just don't spend much time there . We got married at csa and stayed in a garden suite. Loved it! From what I've read on the beachfront suites, they are very nice.
    Css is a gorgeous resort and would be a great place for a honeymoon. Only you can decide if it's right for you. It's really a unique property. Congrats and I'm sure you'll have a great trip!

We have been to CSS at least 10 times- most recently last summer when we stayed at CTI and traded places to CSS. We love CSS and think that the grounds are lush, the food very good to excellent, the pools offer a variety of choices, the water sports team is terrific, all the staff friendly and accommodating, the spa very good, the excursion offerings solid.....we got married at CSS 10 years ago and it is a very special place. BUT if you are expecting shiny, polished glitz and glamor, monster sized pools and late night partying/ dance club action, you will not find that here. Instead you will get old world Jamaican charm, more relaxed Caribbean charm, you can do as much or as little as you want, join in the fun & games or not, mix & mingle or stay quietly together.....we LOVE CSS and have read the recent negative reviews on TA and personally take them with a grain of salt. If your expectations for what you will get there are realistic, CSS will far surpass those expectations. (We are returning to CSS for Christmas this year and will be spending New Years at CN)

If you're not expecting perfect, you will have the best vacation of your life. It's about as close to perfect as you can get. Service is usually excellent, but people do have off days. The bad reviews are from people who expect perfect and wouldn't be happy anywhere. Stop worrying and read all the good reviews instead.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

Michelle,

If you're expecting glitz and glam, then CSS may not be the place for you. You must remember that the resort is older, and with that Couples has stayed the way of keeping with an old world charm. Some call it "dated". We call it "vintage". Yes the rooms and resort are older, but they are clean and comfortable. It's almost like stepping back in time, to a true island experience.
    For us really, it's the service, the staff, and the food that make or break a vacation or honeymoon. You will not find more friendly staff, better service, nor better food at any resort anywhere. CSS is a true jungle paradise.
    The one thing that many don't get, nor comment on, is the ambiance. CSS has this certain vibe, a feeling, that at times is hard to put a finger on, but it's there. It makes you feel welcome. It makes you relax. It takes hold of you, and will carry you through that time, giving you a feeling of contentment, of peace and love.
    Too many reviewers look at the little things, a crack here, a leak there. So what??? If that is enough to "ruin" your vacation, then you are way too uptight to actually enjoy anything, anywhere, and really I would rather those who rate things by how they look stay elsewhere. WE go to enjoy and relax. At CSS you can actually do that!!! If you sweat the small stuff, then there is no way to enjoy anything, anywhere, EVER.
    Open yourselves to new experiences, try everything and anything. Do the tours, do the water sports, try everything on the menu, do SSB. What is life but a bunch of experiences strung together by days???
    Fill your time with each other as this is your honeymoon, your start in life together.
    After spending so much time in the planning process, your special day and your honeymoon may end up in a blur, and you will get lost in the time.
    My best piece of advise, for both your wedding day (congratulations btw ) and your honeymoon, is to step back from time to time, and take in that moment. Live in that moment, and remember it for eternity.

Hi! Hubby and I have been to CSS 7 times with number 8 planned for 2014! We love CSS and have seen many a young honeymoon couple at the resort! I think you will have a wonderful trip but just spend your time enjoying YOUR trip and not worrying about someone else's! Your honeymoon will be what you make it!!!! The staff will go out of their way to make you happy! The rooms are dated, but they are CLEAN!!! The beachfront suites are at the heart of the beach you will have a room with a jacuzzi and a separate shower! You will be next to 2 of the restaurants on the resort without having to climb any stairs and will have access to room service if you don't want to leave your room!! I can't think of a better place to celebrate your life together!!!! Enjoy! Much happiness to you and your future spouse!!!:-)
    Last edited by suzyQ; August 25th, 2013 at 02:59 PM.

We've been to CSS 1 time, CSA 4 time, CTI 1 time and are heading back to CTI this coming Oct.

CSS grounds are beautiful, in my opinion the prettiest of the 3 locations we have stayed. Agree with Softatil on the beach it is not Negril. The beach area is smaller and is more like a cove, private and when we were there it did not feel crowded, like it better than CTI beach. We experienced no rocks, just a little sea grass but if on a float it is not that big of a deal, still nice. I think the AN beach is a bit rocky but not the main beach. Yes, you can float and laze around and it is much quieter/peaceful than the Negril beaches.

Our stay at CSS was a few years ago and we would definitely go back. We experienced no service issues and the food was really pretty good. Food at all the Couples locations we have stayed is very comparable. IMO the people/employees in Ocho Rios are hands downs without a doubt nicer, happier and much more friendly than in Negril. Overall, we also think CTI has the best food and employees.

We have not stayed ocean front at CSS. We stayed in a One BR Ocean Suite and loved it! There were pros and cons. Con - There were 125 steps from the beach to our room, so when we left in the morning we did not make several trips back and forth during the day but if you are beachfront you will not have this. Some activities, Cassanova, the balloon bar, SPA and lobby are all up those steps. Pros - this is the only room of all our Couples stays where we felt like we could live there. Phenomenal views, gigantic balcony with double lounger (can't comment on beachfront suites).

I think overall Con - the rooms are dated. They look just like the pictures. The furniture was a bit weathered, all blue and white linens. You could tell that the humidity had played a part in that or people had returned to their rooms damp or with sunscreen and sat on furniture, but it wasn't anything that grossed us out or felt dirty. I think this is all Couples locations, I'm sure you have already read many posts stating that you will not find marble and fancy/shiny furnishing at Couples.

Just another opinion....CSS SPA was our least favorite, but still really good, just didn't like as much as CSA or CTI.

Now for your big question, should you worry or change locations.......That choice is totally up to you but something initially drew you to CSS, I personally would stick to my 1st choice. Remember when reading reviews (including mine) that everyone is different and some people cannot be pleased. Go into the trip with an open mind and remember why you are going. Don't sweat the small stuff and be patient, you are on island time.

We are totally Negril fans due to long white sand beach & CN is our favorite resort but we did stray over to CSS in 2009 & even though I have no interest in returning there because we REALLY missed the beach at CN, CSS is an absolute GORGEOUS resort. The room we had was the least expensive & it was nicer than any of the rooms we've ever had at CN or the one we had at CSA the 1X we stayed there ..... We had a large balcony that looked out over the main beach .... The rooms are a bit "dated" at all the Couples resorts but that doesn't make them bad. The beaches are small but very pretty ... The sand is more rough & brown .... Not soft & white like in Negril ..... But the water was pretty & you can get in, swim, float, etc. The service was fine .... No problems .... We've been to CN several times so are friends with a lot of the staff there &, of course, we didn't know any of them at CSS so it wasn't as comfortable for us but made lots of new friends there. I don't think you need to have any regrets by your choice of CSS. It sounds like you had done your research when you chose it so you already understand about the beaches, etc. & if you're good with that, then just go & ENJOY!!!! CSS is lots of the repeaters favorite resorts & it may become yours .....
    Julie

No worries. The floaties are nice and comfortable while you float, being entertained by the pelicans and having a nice drink! . There is some stones to walk but its like two steps. No big deal( this coming from a girl who is not a beach fan!)The beaches don't feel crowded (we have been there 3 times) and the mineral pool is our favorite. We tend to go the pool in the afternoon. If my hubby has had too much sun he will stay in the room for the afternoon, then I will go to the main pool since its right by A/B blocks. I have never had an issue with getting a seat. Occasionally I will grab a chair at the bar if there is a lot of people there. I really enjoyed that much more than sitting on a lounger! I had my iPad to read, plenty of diet coke and all the ice I could want!!

The rooms are nice, I don't know which you chose, but we always go with a beachfront jacuzzi suite in A/B Block, Never an issue. Remember tho, its not glitzy nor glamourous. This is nothing like what people expect when they go to Mexico. The pictures you see are truly what you get.

Don't tip. It doesn't help. This is one place where a thank you really is appreciated and also make sure you remember to fill out the comment card. If you find the room isn't too your liking ask the front desk girls, they are lovely! and there is plenty of delicious cookies they keep up at the grill, office, and veggie bar at the mineral pool. The mineral pool has great food, you have to try the hummus platter it is amazing!! (even if you don't like hummus, you should try it, they do a pumpkin dip to die for!)

Go and have a wonderful honeymoon! and don't forget to try the AN beach. even if you don't like it at least you will know.

kelly

My wife and I went to CSS for our first trip and our honeymoon in 2008. We have returned every year since. We even went through Sandy last year. I can't say enough about the staff, food, and facilities. Like the note above, could it use some updating, yes, but is it a dump? NO WAY. We have always stayed on the ground floor in the deluxe ocean suite. We like having direct access to the pool, the beach, the bar and two of the redcurrants. The rooms are very roomy with the king bed, a flat screen TV that serves the 'sitting room' or can swing around to the bed room. The bath is large with a walk in shower, two sinks and a Jacuzzi tub. The food is to dye for -- hint, make your reservations when you arrive to get the times you want. The two special evening events are great fun. I can't believe you will not LOVE your stay. Another hint: join the romance rewards program. If you return (and I'm sure you will) you will get 'rewards' each time you come back. Enjoy, just the way we have. BTW, we enjoy the AN beach so being on the ground floor of the "A" or "B" building gives you great access. If you have specific questions email me or Judy, my wife, at jjprescott@aol.com. We have booked the last week in October this year and in 2014!!!! Can't wait.

I haven't been yet, we go in Oct. ... that being said, you have to take the negative reviews with a grain of salt. Everyone's expectations are different, everyone has different attitudes, what might seem "rude" to me would be ok with you ... make sense? I have gleaned from this message board that I need to go expecting to spend nice, quality time with my husband, some good alone time in a truly romantic setting.

I understand your concerns, truly I do. This will be our 25th anniversary and it's important to us. We never had a honeymoon and it has been a trip we have saved for years for! If you want, here is our email ridgways@mac.com I would be more than happy to give you our thoughts and feelings about CSS when we get back. To answer any questions you have ... I can try to find the answers while there.

Try not to stress too much, it's your honeymoon, in a magical beautiful place. If the dresser is scratched, so what? Right?!?
    Congratulations on your upcoming wedding, I wish you many happy years together!
    Brenda CSS Oct. 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mformichelle View Post
    My fiancee and I booked our honeymoon for mid-November at CSS and I'm starting to get a little nervous about our choice. I've been stalking the message boards, and keeping up on trip-advisor reviews, and now I'm doubting our selection of CSS.
    Can someone reassure me?
    The last few trip advisor reviews have not been good, and my hopes are high based on the mostly glowing reviews I've read on the message board. This will be our first trip to an AI resort, but I'm wondering if I should lower my expectations? Or should we consider switching to a different resort? The latest reviews have mentioned poor service from the employees, the rooms are dated, and beach isn't great. Those are concerns for me. I'm curious if the "no tipping" policy might effect the quality of service?
    I know we won't be spending a lot of time in our rooms, but this is our honeymoon so I do expect we'll be there somewhat often. Is the quality in furniture lacking? Should I consider upgrading to a better room? Right now we're booked for a beachfront suite.
    We live in North Carolina, so we get to the beach occasionally. I'm not expecting a pristine beach - I know if that's what we're looking for we should book Negril instead - but I do want to be able to wade in and enjoy it. How rocky is it? Can you just float around and lazily enjoy yourself, or is the water and sand not accommodating for that?
    We don't get to vacation often. This will be our first trip to Jamaica and my fiancee's first trip outside of the U.S. I know it's not going to be perfect, and vacation is what you make of it, etc., but I do want it to be a fun, comfortable trip and I don't want to regret our choice.
    Michelle
    Gail and I have stayed at 3 of the Couples properties in Jamaica - You CAN'T go wrong with any of them We have stay at CSA, CSS, CTI, and traded places over to CN. They are all Fantastic!! Food is good, service is very good, rooms are very nice, and the relaxation is perfect!! We are going on our 6th visit to couples and my 20th visit to Jamaica...Couples is the BEST. Go and relax, connect and enjoy the fantastic service you will get at CSS...don't worry about the room or the beach - it all good - Grab a floatie for your new spouse and float out into the ocean and smile....no problem!!
    Chuck and Gail
    Washington DC area (Northern VA)
    CSS April 19th
    7th Trip to Couples (2xCSA 4xCSS 1xCTI)
    Too many trips to JA to count and still love it!

The resort is what it is...nervous is up to you. (and my hunch is that CSS has it all together)

You will love CSS. we have been there twice and are have our third trip planned. We have stayed in the beach front suites and love it. The room in this asection are close to just about everything. The food and staff are excellent. Dont have any worries mon, relax and enjoy once you are there.
    CSS OCT 2009
    CSS OCT 2011
    CSS OCT 2014

Thank you for the responses! I am starting to feel much more comfortable with our decision. We booked a few months ago, and I was completely confident in our decision to choose CSS until this past week when a few negative reviews came through on TA. The majority of the reviews on TA have been very positive though, so I probably shouldn't let myself get swayed by the handful of people who didn't enjoy themselves.
    What I'm looking forward to the most is a couples massage! We plan to do that on our first day there and I think after that, my worries will just melt away

We've been to CSS and CSA. I tell people if you want to get married in Jamaica go to CSS. If you want to honeymoon, go to CSA.

CSS has spectacular views, scenery, etc. This is the reason I recommend it for weddings. You will have pictures for a lifetime that are gorgeous. The food is outstanding and the desserts are to die for. The Friday night gala was absolutely a not miss event. In fact, CSS is my wife's favorite.

But the reason I recommend CSA for a honeymoon is the beach. The beaches in Ocho Rios don't compare to those in Negril. I like the grounds at CSA, but they don't compare to CSS, but that beach at CSA just calls to me.

My husband and I are booked for Nov. 6th thru the 13th of this year and your wedding day approaches. I hope you decided to stay with your choice of CSS. This will be our 3rd trip to CSS with 2 trips prior to this at CTI (before renovations). We love Couples and always feel as though we are returning "home" with each trip. We have never had a bad experience. All these posts are right on the money. This will be an unforgettable experience and truly what you make of it. Much happiness to you both! Everything will be irie.

@goodspkr, we thought about CSA, but the cost was more and we were trying to find the right combination of a relaxing environment and entertainment. If we have a good trip to CSS though, we may have to think about CSA for our five year anniversary or another special occasion. Thanks for the advice!

@rickndebbie - we'll probably see you there! We are set to arrive November 9th.

Thanks so much everyone, I'm starting to feel much better. With the upcoming wedding, I didn't need one more thing to have to stress out about and you've helped to calm my nerves.

@goodspkr, we thought about CSA, but the cost was more and we were trying to find the right combination of a relaxing environment and entertainment. If we have a good trip to CSS though, we may have to think about CSA for our five year anniversary or another special occasion. Thanks for the advice!

@rickndebbie - we'll probably see you there! We are set to arrive November 9th.

Thanks so much everyone, I'm starting to feel much better. With the upcoming wedding, I didn't need one more thing to have to stress out about and you've helped to calm my nerves.
    ...my brother, Jamaica and Couples taught me 'respect' & 'no worries'. I was soooo stressed
    about it not being perfect for my diann. keep calm, breathe, enjoy the wonderful lady that you will be in Jamaica with. she will see your confidence, she will see your immense love for her and she will be happy. the staff at any of the resorts will take care of you both. scott@pickitupfoundation.org

...and now my wonderful Diann is laughing at me hysterically, because I thought Michelle's fiancee' was writing this post. sorry!! BUT everything I wrote is true! breathe, stay calm, enjoy each other...the resorts are all unique, but all are a very special experience. you both will have a great time. I think I have to go schedule a trip to Jamaica so my wife will quit teasing me about this... scott & diann

We've been twice, and are arriving at Css for the third time this sunday. You have NOTHING to worry about. We honeymooned there, fell in love...and have gone back for a couple of our anniversaries. I know ppl think CSA or CN are nicer accomodation wise....but what I have heard from a LOT of ppl who have been to multiple couples resorts is that you can't beat the nooks and crannies of CSS. That is one of the reasons we love it so much. So many places you will be walking around....and find an empty hammock with an ocean view...perfect for a romantic nap. People who complain about the rooms are snobs in my opinion. They were clean, neat, mini bar well stocked...roomy....flat screen tvs....what else could you ask for?

We love CSS. Have thought about trying CTI or CN....but we love the idea of a smaller resort with less ppl...more intimate feel. Laid back.....ABSOLUTELY PERFECT for a romantic honeymoon. Enjoy it. We did ours. And the scenery is perfect....we took this picture on the beach at sunset for our honeymoon. Couldnt be more pleased

We honeymooned last November at CSS. We travel all over the place, and rarely repeat. But we were SO blown away by the whole experience we had a return trip booked within two weeks of getting home. We are eagerly looking forward to our second Thanksgiving in a row at CSS!

The weather was perfect, not too hot, sunny, just humid enough to feel tropical but not oppressive. The resort never felt full or busy, lots of off the track places to spend romantic time with your new spouse. Staff were phenomenal - friendly, interesting, fun and laid back all at once. The food was out of this world and we are both quite used to being disappointed at resorts. Not here - a ton of attention to detail here!

You won't regret your choice. And I wouldn't be surprised if you check out rebooking after you get home, very reasonably priced when booked that far out. Congrats and have a great time!
    Last edited by racegrrl; October 12th, 2013 at 06:14 PM.

Default Christmas/New Year

Quote Originally Posted by clkbjk View Post
    We have been to CSS at least 10 times- most recently last summer when we stayed at CTI and traded places to CSS. We love CSS and think that the grounds are lush, the food very good to excellent, the pools offer a variety of choices, the water sports team is terrific, all the staff friendly and accommodating, the spa very good, the excursion offerings solid.....we got married at CSS 10 years ago and it is a very special place. BUT if you are expecting shiny, polished glitz and glamor, monster sized pools and late night partying/ dance club action, you will not find that here. Instead you will get old world Jamaican charm, more relaxed Caribbean charm, you can do as much or as little as you want, join in the fun & games or not, mix & mingle or stay quietly together.....we LOVE CSS and have read the recent negative reviews on TA and personally take them with a grain of salt. If your expectations for what you will get there are realistic, CSS will far surpass those expectations. (We are returning to CSS for Christmas this year and will be spending New Years at CN)
    We're also doing a split holiday - CSS and Negril. We're travelling between sites on 29th December and would really appreciate any advise you can give us on the general scene over the festive season at both resorts. Also, should we bring little Christmas presents for exceptional members of staff/room staff? Will the evenings be more chilly at CSS?

Huge thanks
    Jean

"#4 of 38 Hotels in Ochos Rios"... nuff said!
    Last edited by Artie; October 14th, 2013 at 09:15 PM.

So Michelle by now you have gotten plenty of responses
    So I hope you guys are relaxing a bit....
    but I will throw in my two cents worth

My wife and I love CSS
    We have been to a lot of resorts in a lot of countries (RIU in Puerto Rico, Hard Rock in DR, St Maarten, Cancun, Florida, Padre Island, Hawaii). We have been to CTI 2 times and CSS 6 or 7 times (I've lost count)

We keep going back because of the feeling of relaxation at CSS
    The staff is outstanding
    The people really care about you
    The resort is small so they get to know you. It is pretty unusual to have to actually order a drink at your regular bar because they generally know what you drink and will just bring it to you.
    In all of our trips, I have never had a Couples employee ask or act like they expected a tip
    In the DR early this year, you could not get any service without tipping

Yes the rooms are less fancy/updated/glitzy than other places
    but they are clean, the bed and pillows are comfie, the AC works
    and the views from the balcony are amazing

We love the food. Particularly breakfast at Palazina
    That first cup of Blue Mountain coffee is always the beginning of a great day
    We enjoy eating dinner outside at Casanova. It is great to listen to the tree frogs and have a fancy candle light dinner. It feels like a romantic dinner for two every night.

The beach is not as nice as others we have been to (we live in Miami so its not that big a deal for us)
    but the water is warm and on the main beach very calm because it is in a protected bay.
    At SSB it is a bit rocky and the water is colder but in July when we usually go that feels nice

I think your attitude is right and will help you to have a great time
    Our first trip was our first big trip after our youngest child was born. We needed relaxation and time as a couple. CSS fit that perfectly. It is the most romantic place that we have ever been!

We are lucky and have to/get to travel to a lot of great places
    But we come back to CSS every year because it is our home away from home
    It tugs at our heart whenever we are gone
    and we compare every place we go to it

enjoy the wedding and the honeymoon
    I know you will have a great time!

John

Can someone reassure me?
    Michelle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast