Hybrid View

Default Handicapped access at CTI

I have had both knees replaced (May, 2009) and am going to CTI at the end of Oct. I see lots of steps in the pictures. Are there any handicapped accessible rooms? What kind of provisions are there for those of us who have trouble with stairs?

CTI has elevators in building 3,4, and 5. If you plan out your route I think you can get any place without steps or very few, (under four).
    Irie Mon

Default Handicapped access

Quote Originally Posted by debo View Post
    I have had both knees replaced (May, 2009) and am going to CTI at the end of Oct. I see lots of steps in the pictures. Are there any handicapped accessible rooms? What kind of provisions are there for those of us who have trouble with stairs?
    I went to CTI 4 months after having one knee replaced and had very few problems. You MUST ask for a room in a building with an elevator. We had a Premier ocean, but in the MAIN building. The new pool building rooms have no elevator and all rooms are on the 2nd & 3rd floor. The Premier ocean room we were in the Main building had a zero entry shower which was great.

There are some stairs to the beach, but not too difficult with the handrails. When I was there there were about 4 or 5 small stairs to the Eight Rivers Restaurant but no handrail. I made it fine with the assistance of my DH, but did make a suggestion to add handrails.

I did not go on the Catamaran cruise even though I really, really wanted to because you have to climb up to the Catamarin from another small boat. I had a little trouble getting in and out of the glass bottom boat, but at least it did load at the dock. Other than that it was great....we even had one of the guys take us sailing. You just walk in the water and kind of throw yourself on the hobie cat...not hard at all.

EVERYONE was so nice and helpful as well and that made a real difference. We loved it so much we are returning in the middle of December. I'm going to try the horseback riding and Catamaran this time...hope I can do it.

Good luck to you..I know you'll love it.

BTW...do NOT go to Sans Souci. I have friends who went there and said I would have never made it...way too many stairs and hills everywhere.

CTI has elevators!! There are some stairs to the beach from the main bar though. Maybe 10 or so.
    Kristen

Two years ago I had one knee replaced and last year had the other ankle rebuilt (the other knee is next!). We were at Tower Isle in July and had minimal problems.
    Would suggest trying to get a room on the first floor of the main building. We were just down from the lobby and it was a great room. Showers are walk-in, so no problem there. The main building does have elevators in case you are up on the higher floors.
    As far as stairs...they added a ramp going from the long porch up into the hotel lobby. It comes out right by the Veranda and 8 Rivers restaurants. They also added rails to the stairs, if you want to use them, going from the porch into the lobby. The rest of the stairs all have rails and if you just take your time, there shouldn't be any problems. I also suggested that they put a handrail going up the stairs at 8 Rivers.
    One thing though, I did find it was a bit difficult to walk in the sand, but again if you go slowly it's fine.
    We explained before we arrived my limitations, and the staff couldn't have been more accommodating and thoughtful.
    With the refurbishment of Tower Isle, perhaps the powers that be are aware that many of us are aging faster than we like to think we are- hence the ramp and showers. It is much appreciated!!
    Just be sure to contact Couples and let them know your limitations and I'm sure they will be able to accommodate you.
    Have a great time! Another 10 months and we'll be back.

Jean & Ron