Default Flights from Northern Virginia/DC Metro Region

My fiancee and I are getting married in October and want to honeymoon at CTI.

We admit we slacked on looking up flights, but I was quite surprised at the lack of options from a major area like northern Virginia/DC Metro region with 3 major airports (Dulles is closest for us), but especially with the number of overnight flights. I thought at first that there were other flights but they were all booked, but upon looking six months out it was basically the same options.

We saw a Jet Blue flight that departs at 10am, but it's not at the closest airport (about a 40min drive) and with international travel, that means we're leaving our hotel by about 8am at the latest, which is quite early after you've been up late and had a super long day the day before.

The only other viable option I saw was flying out on US Airways and returning on American, but we'd be booking those as one-way flights because one was on Expedia, the other on Travelocity, and the price jumps up really quickly (to almost $600/flight each).

I'm wondering what other couples flying from northern Virginia/DC metro have done to get into Montego Bay with a reasonable travel arrangement. I really find it hard to believe that we're that limited on flights, but that could just be the case.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

Colin

Air Tran out of BWI is direct, cheap and gets you to MO Bay at around 12:15

We fly out of Richmond on Delta. They connect in Atlanta. Have you looked at Delta flights out of DC?

CSS April 29-May 10, 2013

Two words, Travel Agent. We pay no more using an agent that we would booking on our own. Better insurance options are also available. If you want me travel agents info, just drop me an e-mail at "usmc7236 at yahoo dot com".

We also live in Northern Virginia (Stafford) and normally fly out of Dulles. We have flown US Air, Delta, and United. Rates and schedules always vary of course and is part of the determining factor. A travel agent has more tools available and more experience in finding flights. They can determine what is the best flight for your schedule much easier than the on-line sites that tend to give you one rate, then present a much higher rate once you go to pay for the flight.

Given that legendary traffic nightmare that Northern VA/DC is, we always drive up the night before and use the Hilton to "park-and-fly". The hotel rate which includes parking is less than just parking alone, and it takes away the stress of potentially being stuck in traffic.

S/F
    Scott and June

I agree with Jamie&penny! There is a non stop flight out of BWI that leaves at around 8:30 am. As my husband likes to say when explaining the reasons why we like Couples, "We can make it to CTI in time for a late lunch!" We do "stay and park" at one of the airport hotels, which usually isn't much more expensive than parking for a week at the airport.

We live in S.W Va, only (2) options for us, Delta or USAirways. 3 years ago Delta decided not to fly to Mobay on Tuesdays in November, they sent and email saying there was a schedule change, luckily I noticed that the dates changed and they had rebooked us for the next day. We were not happy, ending up cancelling and rebooking with USAirways.

This year we had an 8:00 departing flight connecting in Clt for Mobay arrival at 11:30, USairways cancelled that flight and booked us on a 5:30 am flight. So now we have to be at the airport at 4:30 am and sit in CLT for 3+ hours. All this for the bargain price of $700 pp.

So, things could be much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by cmurray80 View Post
    My fiancee and I are getting married in October and want to honeymoon at CTI.

We admit we slacked on looking up flights, but I was quite surprised at the lack of options from a major area like northern Virginia/DC Metro region with 3 major airports (Dulles is closest for us), but especially with the number of overnight flights. I thought at first that there were other flights but they were all booked, but upon looking six months out it was basically the same options.

We saw a Jet Blue flight that departs at 10am, but it's not at the closest airport (about a 40min drive) and with international travel, that means we're leaving our hotel by about 8am at the latest, which is quite early after you've been up late and had a super long day the day before.

The only other viable option I saw was flying out on US Airways and returning on American, but we'd be booking those as one-way flights because one was on Expedia, the other on Travelocity, and the price jumps up really quickly (to almost $600/flight each).

I'm wondering what other couples flying from northern Virginia/DC metro have done to get into Montego Bay with a reasonable travel arrangement. I really find it hard to believe that we're that limited on flights, but that could just be the case.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

Colin

We booked a direct flight out of BWI for $411 per person round trip! Leave at 825 am and arrive 1050 am!

We have flown twice from Philly and once from BWI, all direct flights. AirTran out of BWI has good prices and a somewhat early flight.

I wish Caribbean Air was back in Philly though. That was a nice 6am flight.

We are from RI but always have to make a connection in your area. Have you tried Air Trans? They are owed by Southwest. They do not usually show in the searches on major travel websites... We are leaving from Providence at 6:00 making a connection and arriving in MB at 10:53. $718.00 round trip for both of us. Our trip is on Sept 9th but I purchased the tickets only a few weeks ago. Good luck, hope this option works for you.

We use BWI and fly AirTran out. Direct flights and early flights + great prices. We generally stay at the Sheraton BWI the night before. They have a parking package and you can leave your car there while away for no additional cost and they will take you to the airport no additional cost. They also pick us up at the airport when we come back to get our car. All that for about $120 not bad at all!

There's a terrific United direct flight from Dulles. However, it only runs on Saturdays and usually only during the high season (late Nov. - April). Leaves at 8:15 and lands at MBJ at 12:15. Returns on Saturdays leaving around 3 pm. Right now, for April 2014, it runs around $800. You can probably find something cheaper but not having to change planes (and have two flights each way go wrong) is worth any extra cost -- at least to us.
    Last edited by ggo85; September 1st, 2013 at 09:51 AM.