Default Weather in October

Hi! Iím very new to this, it will be my husband and I first time going to CTI. I have a lot of concerns regarding the weather in October; we are traveling from 10/18-10/25. Can anyone please tell me how the weather around this time, I been searching the forecast and it shows continuously rains/thunderstorms. If anyone has any feedback please feel free.

October is one of the busiest months of the hurricane season and the reason why, after dozens of years of going to Couples in October, we're switching to December for 2014. While hurricanes are rare in Jamaica, we got hit with one in the Gulf of Mexico in October 2011 that screwed up the beach at CSA and Hurricane Sandy in Oct 2012 that was even worse.

Even without a tropical storm or a hurricane, it rains in Jamaica nearly every day, usually in the mid to late afternoon. The rain rarely lasts for more than an hour and after that you get wonderful sunsets as the storm moves out over the Caribbean Sea.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

Default You can't control the weather

We have traveled many times to Negril in late Oct. and Nov. Most times you have rain in the afternoon.
    In 2012, we was there during Hurricane Sandy. Not as bad as most places but still nasty weather.

We have been to Negril right after a bad storm and that is not much fun either.

Overall, Sept. and Oct. are the high risk travel due to weather. I would go but get insurance.

Just go and don't worry. Some of our best trips and weather were in Oct.

Texasbiggs

Quote Originally Posted by lisa425beth View Post
    Hi! Iím very new to this, it will be my husband and I first time going to CTI. I have a lot of concerns regarding the weather in October; we are traveling from 10/18-10/25. Can anyone please tell me how the weather around this time, I been searching the forecast and it shows continuously rains/thunderstorms. If anyone has any feedback please feel free.

Sorry my reply was for Negril but applies to CTI also....

We were married at COR sept 18, 2006, at CTI Oct 2011 and headed back to CTI Oct 1-12 this year. A rainy forecast is typical but we have short showers a few afternoons around 3-4 pm. They are short and felt great. We stay at the swim up bar or hit the hottubs. We love going in October and will continue to regardless of it being hurricane season.

We are also traveling in October and I'm not concerned about the weather reports. (But I do have insurance

Hurricane season lasts a long time in the tropics so it's not very easy to avoid - especially if you have limited travel windows because of work or like us - because of family.

However, unless Jamaica gets a direct hit (as with Sandy last year) - then a hurricane can be a good thing because it will typically pull all the moisture and energy out of the area and the aftermath will be several days to weeks of great weather. So, just having one close by doesn't mean your trip is ruined.

As for the reports - anything more than 10 days out is just an average, or historical best guess - because - it's hurricane season! One storm can change the weather report day to day.

We have traveled in May, June, October and September - and it rained at some point on every trip - but I also remember many, many hours of sunshine in between - never a complete wash out.

However - some things to keep in mind:

1> When the report says 80% chance of rain - it's usually not an all day rain - it means at some point it will rain - usually the early morning and mid-afternoon in Ocho Rios.
    2> The storms can move very fast - it can be raining one minute and be completely sunny 5 minutes later - stay where you are and wait it out if you can.
    3> The resorts can handle the rain and everything usually remains open - even the island - the only thing that closes the island is high winds which seem to be a real problem in December and January.
    4> If you're sure it's going to rain all day - go to Dunn's river falls! - you're going to get soaked anyway!

But most importantly! Sometimes things are better in the rain!

Some of our best memories are from Jamaican rainstorms as it keeps a lot of people in their rooms and we have had some really good times being one of the only couples on the island or at SSB.

Sandy was far worse from my understanding on the CTI side of the island than in Negril. As my husband said above, we won't go back in October after this year....too risky. From what I understand, storms are always worse on the CTI side... Get insurance or change your dates would be my recommendation.

We live inSouth Florida... If a storm is coming we can get in the car and leave. Not an option on an island. Oce the airport closes, there you are.

Quote Originally Posted by fawnridge View Post
    October is one of the busiest months of the hurricane season and the reason why, after dozens of years of going to Couples in October, we're switching to December for 2014. While hurricanes are rare in Jamaica, we got hit with one in the Gulf of Mexico in October 2011 that screwed up the beach at CSA and Hurricane Sandy in Oct 2012 that was even worse.

Even without a tropical storm or a hurricane, it rains in Jamaica nearly every day, usually in the mid to late afternoon. The rain rarely lasts for more than an hour and after that you get wonderful sunsets as the storm moves out over the Caribbean Sea.

Thank you so much for your feedback 

We need a sticky on the weather. The forecast always shows rain/thunderstorms. ALWAYS. This does not mean everyday will be a rain out just that you will probably have some rain everyday. In all of our trips to Jamaica (I think its 10 this year) we've only had one vacation when it rained all day everyday for our first 5 days - but you make the best of it.

Amy

Quote Originally Posted by AAS View Post
    We need a sticky on the weather. The forecast always shows rain/thunderstorms. ALWAYS. This does not mean everyday will be a rain out just that you will probably have some rain everyday. In all of our trips to Jamaica (I think its 10 this year) we've only had one vacation when it rained all day everyday for our first 5 days - but you make the best of it.
    I tried quite a while ago...
    [Bhttp://couples.com/mb/couples-main-message-board-2/hows-weather-9194/[/B]