Thread: scuba equipment

Default scuba equipment

what brand does Couples Negril have for use--need to make decision on whether to bring my own stuff or not

Mostly Sherwood. The BCDs do not have integrated weight pockets and the gauges are analog. Obviously, you are probably bringing your own mask/fins, but the other two bits of info might help guide your decision. Enjoy! The guys at the CN scuba hut are easily some of the best people at the resort.

Quote Originally Posted by leonard View Post
    what brand does Couples Negril have for use--need to make decision on whether to bring my own stuff or not
    CSS had Sherwood. Not sure on other resorts

My two cents is to take your own stuff... My rationale is simple, if I'm trusting my life with the equipment, I want to know it's history and maintenance record. I've been taking my own stuff since 2011.

I can't recall what the brand name the regulator and BC was but it was very well kept and new looking. The regulator (I'm a heavy breather) was easy to breath through. I've been diving for 20+ years and it was all quiet comfortable for me. I'm glad I didn't bother with bringing my own. If anything, I might bring my own mask.

Scubapro

We are here now for our 3rd visit and even though we are taking it easy this trip and only doing one dive per day we still bring our own gear.

Betty
    Betty
    Couples Negril - September 2011, 2012, 2013 and have just booked 2014
    Scuba Club Cozumel - Jan, Apr & Nov 2012 and Jan & Nov 2013
    Cobalt Coast, Grand Cayman - May 2013
    Retiring & moving to Cozumel, Mexico in early 2014

Quote Originally Posted by BettyinToronto View Post
    Scubapro

We are here now for our 3rd visit and even though we are taking it easy this trip and only doing one dive per day we still bring our own gear.

Betty
    Hi Betty, just out of curiosity, did they replace their equipment in the last 2 years, or could you find out? They had all Sherwood regulators and a combination of Sherwood and Scubapro BCDs on our first 3 trips. Thanks!
    "Brutalize me with music..."

CN: 11/2007, 11/2010, 11/2011, 11/2013

What is the thoughts on bringing your own fins? I can understand why you would want to bring your own mask and snorkel but why would you carry the extra weight of the fins?

Live2ski

We bring our own gear!

Tammie & Mike
    CTI-Feb'08/CSA-Dec'08/CSA&CN-Mar'11
    CSS Mar'12/CSA Nov '12/CSA Dec '13/CSA Feb '15

Sherwood at CN.

We bring our own gear every year. We just prefer having our own masks, regs and computers. .. and if we're bringing that, might as well bring all of it.

Happy diving!

dnak120. I thought it was Scubapro. We are here now and I will check and get back to you.

Betty
    Betty

We bring our own masks, they aren't one-size-fits-all, our own fins, we like the way they fit, and our shorty wetsuits.

We bring our masks, booties, fins, snorkels, and shorties. I also bring my knife, underwater light (for looking under crevices & in holes and stuff), and our underwater camera housing. We leave our BCDs, regs, and gauges at home, because there's nothing technical or deep that you dive in the Negril area. It's all fairly rudimentary diving, and it's not worth the extra weight.

We brought our Mask, fins and snorkel. Like knowing that those are a perfect fit. I dove for a week in July and I had Sherwood at CN. There are only to integrated BCD's at CN, I think the sizes were XL and 2XL otherwise its weight-belts if that matters to you.

OK I was wrong. We always bring our own gear but we just finished the 9am dive using their BCD and it was Sherwood. We squeezed in this last dive with their equipment so our BCD & wetsuit can dry for the trip home tomorrow. My BCD was a brand new Sherwood and it was nice. My big hang up is having to use a weight belt after years of having my weights integrated into my BCD. Still had a great time.

We did a total of 6 days going easy this time as we need the rest. One morning we saw a eagle ray which is a first for us here in the 3 years we have been coming to CN. Also last night on the night dive we saw the biggest hawksbill turtle I had ever seen. Biggest one for our Dive Master Taffy too.

The crew at the CN dive shop are the best. Even if you are not a diver; I highly recommend you take the free intro course. It is just one morning of your vacation and you may just get hooked!

Betty
    Betty