Default Best place to exchange currency? - Staying at CSA

Will CSA exchange currency? Is it cheaper to do it somewhere else off resort?

On the second floor of the lobby, there is an exchange window. It's open during normal working hours. They will change all the cash you want or give you an advance on a credit card for up to $100 US worth of $J. It really is a very nice service, with very competitive rates

As far as being the cheapest? It's a great deal. I you scoured Negril, you *may* find a better rate but it won't be worth the effort. If you really want to know where some Cambios are just DM me and I'll tell you.

The airport is the second most expensive place I know to change money. Don't get excited and do it there. Under no circumstances should you try to change cash on the street. This is by far the most expensive (not to mention dangerous) way to do it. I know this from experience. Im telling you this because more than a few will offer this service. Don't do it. Just use the CSA window.

You don't need to exchange currency, unless it's something other than US Dollars. Every vendor will take US Dollars.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

yes , swept away can exchange money for you , but why ? for all the times we have gone i have never done this, on propery for the vendors or off property, everyone gladly accepts american dollars, some times i think it is preferred. have a good time

Although not all who go to Negril are from the US. Or don't want to carry a lot of cash on the plane.
    We are from Canada but have easy access to both US currency and in our city also J$.

But on this subject matter...has anyone spoke to the locals to find out what currency is best/beneficial to them?

the cambio at the traffic circle in downtown Negril is great if you want to exchange money
    Randi & Sherri
    (Pork Chop)

If you're from the US, don't bother. USD is preferred and enjoyed!

I'd only suggest an exchange if you go to places like pattie shops, or other local "non touristy" places. I say this because the calculated exchange rate in the clerk's head is WAY higher than it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by waynef View Post
    yes , swept away can exchange money for you , but why ? for all the times we have gone i have never done this, on propery for the vendors or off property, everyone gladly accepts american dollars, some times i think it is preferred. have a good time
    It's true that most vendors will accest USD, but any change coming back your way will be Jamaican...and I've found that the conversions they use can vary from vendor to vendor. It's much easier to just carry Jamaican dollars and not have to always do the conversions in your head, especially after multiple Red Stripes.