Default CN first timer- where for dinner our first night?

My hubby and I are heading to CN in January... and are counting the days until we see that lovely beach! Our flight arrives at 3:00 so we are hoping to make it to the resort by around 6:00. One of the things that gets me through my wait until we leave is thinking about the details. I am trying to figure out where we should go for dinner our first night. Would you recommended Heliconia or Cassava Terrace? I am excited to try all of the restaurants but we are looking for something low key for the first night. Thanks!

Definitely Lychee!

After a long day of travel and flying we would choose to enjoy a view of the ocean and relax at the Heliconia. It usually helps us to begin the decompression from the stress of everyday life and prepare for a relaxing stay at CN. Enjoy your first dinner and a relaxing stay no matter where you choose to start your adventure.

It would depend on the day of the week you are arriving. I think Heliconia is closed Saturday night and The Beach party is Thursday night. Some nights are buffet at Cassava Terrace and some are a la carte. I don't remember which. We always go to Lychee our first night there. We love the appetizer tray for two. Heliconia is probably our favorite, as we like eating outside near the beach. We look at all the menus posted by the beach grill each day and then decide where we will go that night. All three of those are casual and you don't need a reservation. Have fun! You will love it!!

The first night there, we usually play by ear. If we are tired we usually just go to the Buffet. I would save Lychee for the 2nd or third night. It is great but after a long day of travel you don't want to fall asleep in your soup. Any where you eat the food and service is great. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by blondedoc View Post
    My hubby and I are heading to CN in January... and are counting the days until we see that lovely beach! Our flight arrives at 3:00 so we are hoping to make it to the resort by around 6:00. One of the things that gets me through my wait until we leave is thinking about the details. I am trying to figure out where we should go for dinner our first night. Would you recommended Heliconia or Cassava Terrace? I am excited to try all of the restaurants but we are looking for something low key for the first night. Thanks!
    My wife and I are arriving on Thursday Nov. 21st so the choice is being made for us ... fabulous beach party buffet to kick off our vacation! yaaay!

Heliconia for sure!
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

Thanks for the replies! 120+ days left... Reading this site only adds to my excitement!

Helloconia Grill- outdoors and overlooking the water and beach. A great place to start your holiday. Plan accordingly. It opens at 7 and you should be there at 7 to avoid a little wait. Having said that. There is a bar area there you can sit at or stroll around. If you go at 8 or so, that's a popular time for people. Longest wait we've had is 10-15 minutes. Enjoy. - Lisa ( 3rd time @Couples Negril)

We usually get to the resort about 5:00 or 5:30 since the earlier flight we used to use that got us there in time for a late lunch was cancelled a few years ago. We now go get a couple of dirty bananas & a quick snack to share of jerk chicken & fries at the beach grill/bar as soon as we've seen our room because we are starved after a travel day that started at 3:00am when we left for the airport. We then head back to the room for a shower, to rest for awhile, & then to the Cassava Terrace for dinner .... If you see us on that first night, we're both in shorts & t-shirts with wet hair & I may not even have any make-up on because we go straight back to the room after we've had a meal to unpack & go to bed by 9:00 so we can be up bright & early the next day to start our vacation.
    Julie

Quote Originally Posted by chasandpeg View Post
    It would depend on the day of the week you are arriving. I think Heliconia is closed Saturday night and The Beach party is Thursday night. Some nights are buffet at Cassava Terrace and some are a la carte. I don't remember which. We always go to Lychee our first night there. We love the appetizer tray for two. Heliconia is probably our favorite, as we like eating outside near the beach. We look at all the menus posted by the beach grill each day and then decide where we will go that night. All three of those are casual and you don't need a reservation. Have fun! You will love it!!
    Good question as I was thinking the same thing for our trip in Nov (T-Day week).

We arrive on Sat so Heliconia is out (since they are closed on Sat, I checked online). So either Lychee or Cassava. Guess it will depend on how we feel and if we want to get a little more dressed up the first night. We arrive at MBJ around 1pm so we will be there around 3pm or so (we use the Club MoBay VIP service to get to the resort ASAP since we fly in on Sat's... which is always packed).

We've been to CSA, CN and just recently CSS. We usually have a late lunch at the "Grills" since we haven't eaten since early breakfast and by the time we finish, our room is ready. On our recent trip to CSS, we just went to Bella Vista since that is the only place you can go w/o reservations. I like the concept of CN better where there is only one restaurant that requires reservations. I don't like being tied down to a dinner time nor do I like to eat really late. So excited to "go back". 67 days and counting!
    Last edited by lsm1212; September 18th, 2013 at 08:24 AM.
    Linda & Nick
    CSA - Oct 2004 (for our wedding!!!)
    CN - March 2006, Nov 2013
    CSS - March 2013

Our very first night at CN in 2007, we went to the bar at the Heliconia Grill, basically just to chill a bit and figure out where we wanted to go. While sitting at the bar we struck up a conversation with another couple and ending up having dinner with them. That was the start of a great friendship and we met at CN the next couple of years, planning our trips to coincide with each other. They were from England and we are from the US. Alas, though they have not been able to join us the last several years because she is suffering from Alzheimer but we do keep in touch. We go there our first night still, in honor of them. So I guess based on that, I would say the Heliconia and enjoy the surroundings.

chasandpeg nailed it. It totally depends on which day of the week you arrive. Your best bet is to check out the dining schedule and menus when you get there and decide what sounds best. If you arrive on Thurs, it's beach party all the way. IMO, Cassava's a la carte menu is much better than the buffet, so I would save Cassava for an a la carte night. You may or may not be able to get a same-night reservation for Otaheite. If you arrive on Friday, all of the restaurants serve the same preparation of lobster, so you can't go wrong. Just go with what calls you when you arrive.
    "Brutalize me with music..."

CN: 11/2007, 11/2010, 11/2011, 11/2013

Our first night we usually go to Cassava, especially if a buffet. It's very casual and is a great way to relax, pick and choose what you want (if buffet) and a nice way to feel the ocean air. Heliconia is also a good choice if it's open. We typically choose Lychee on night #2 -- but that's us.

What's the beach party like? Specifically what's on offer food wise ?

After a long day of travel we like to do Heliconia. It's so nice and relaxing! You'll love it. Have a great time!! Really you will not go wrong with anything you pick!!

Quote Originally Posted by bamelin View Post
    What's the beach party like? Specifically what's on offer food wise ?
    Cassava Terrace has nights when it's a la carte and nights when it's international buffet on the pool deck with everything from sushi rolls to curried goat. The beach party buffet is very similar to the international buffet with some additional Jamaican variations. We'll see you there for sure! That's our third night and we usually hit the cat cruise, beach party, and the Piano Bar for the dance party.
    "Brutalize me with music..."

CN: 11/2007, 11/2010, 11/2011, 11/2013

Bottom line is that you can't go wrong with any restaurant. You can't do Otaheite the first night but there will be at least 2, often 3 alternatives.

All are great. You can check out the menus when you arrive and make your choice!

Quote Originally Posted by ggo85 View Post
    Our first night we usually go to Cassava, especially if a buffet. It's very casual and is a great way to relax, pick and choose what you want (if buffet) and a nice way to feel the ocean air. Heliconia is also a good choice if it's open. We typically choose Lychee on night #2 -- but that's us.
    100% agree on this one...of course we arrive on Saturday, so Heliconia is closed and we aren't fans of Lychee. But no matter what, I think we would do buffet the first night. It's faster and so much variety and because it's the international buffett, the food is so good and it gives us the opportunity to try different things if we want to and if we don't like it, try something else. Though there isn't much there we dont' like!