Default I got laid off on Tuesday...

No Couples for Bearso and Ms. P for a long time. No way to know when that will be. Bummed beyond belief. I am too young to retire and too old to be really interesting to an employer. It sucks as bad as a Salty Dog. (Sorry Tommy hugs) Wish me luck. If anyone knows of a good job for a Safety Professional, give me a shout "rutryder at yahoo dot com".

Quote Originally Posted by Bearso View Post
    No Couples for Bearso and Ms. P for a long time. No way to know when that will be. Bummed beyond belief. I am too young to retire and too old to be really interesting to an employer. It sucks as bad as a Salty Dog. (Sorry Tommy hugs) Wish me luck. If anyone knows of a good job for a Safety Professional, give me a shout "rutryder at yahoo dot com".
    I just sent an email to you....looks like our company has some postings for safety professionals here. It will have my email and contact information on there if you need to get in touch with me. Good luck! Want to help you get back to Couples ASAP!

Sorry for your misfortune. Hope something comes along for you soon!!

Hello Bearso, I feel your pain. My husband was laid off from the water department at the utilities company Dec 1 2011. Thank goodness we had a trip in January but were planning our trip for 2014. My first thought was "oh no! we wont be able to get to Couples". I cut back, got a second job, prayed, he picked up odd jobs and decided to do Real Estate. Turned out to be a great thing for him. He enjoys his job and the market is picking up. Our trip is booked for January to CSA. Fingers crossed that you will be returning soon. The message board has helped me get my fix in the meantime. Good luck!

Hang in there! When one door closes, another one will open. Positive thinking keeps you up and ready to see the new opportunity!

so sorry, You'll bounce back and find a way to go home. My buss. went to China and I had to reinvent myself. Coloradojulie and her husband went thru it too and found a way to get back home. Wishing you lots of luck.It Friday the 13th,my lucky day, maybe it will be yours too. I had a tough time looking for a Job too because of my age, I know were your coming from. Hopefully we'll see you soon!

You're right, it sucks big time. So all you can do is tough it out. I hope things break for you in a positive way and you'll be booking Couples again before you know it.

That really sucks Bearso, good luck

I don't know you Bearso but I am truly sorry that you got laid off. I can "feel your pain" somewhat. I'm in the housing industry and only recently came off of almost 3 years of my hours being cut to 20 per week. And that was after taking a $16k pay cut the month before. It took us 4 years to save the money for our upcoming trip to CSS in 10 days. I know this is little consolation at this time but I truly belief things happen for a reason and that we all come out of difficult situations stronger and for the better. As you work through this try and keep up a good attitude. If for no other reason than for your own emotional health. Good luck.

where do you live?
    I ask becuase I know there are a few postings in the oil and gas industry in Calgary Canada.
    Rob

I work for a living as a Job Coach

Make sure your Linkedin profile is up to date with recommendations and your public profile linked on your resume. Utilize job search engines (search engines similar to Google but are optimized to find job postings in your area based on the search terms you use)... indeed.com is a great one.

Find a local Career Centre near where you live. Employment Counsellors/Job Coaches/Career Coaches are usually available funded by your state or provincial government. They can help you to update your resume and give you advice on how to job search in the current job market.

Good luck!

Oh no, Barry, I'm so sorry to hear this yucky news !! Good luck w/ your job search (what a bummer that thought is). I'll be thinking of you guys & I'm sending good, positive thoughts to the west coast for you !!

Jackie (& Dave)

Man, that sucks. I was sort of forced out of a long time job almost two years ago. Luckily, I guess, I was 62 at the time so I could retire and work only part time. I know the frustration. Hang in there.

Bearso! All the best to you and your family! I will cross all my fingers and toes and anything else that will cross that you find a job soon!!!

Hey Bearso - sorry to hear the news. That's a tough one to take. I had a stretch of working for a few real winner companies and did 3 layoffs in about 6 years. Ouch. You will be okay. You've got the experience that the others don't. If it's been a long time since you have been in the market I would honestly suggest you look into a placement agency / consultant that does more than spiff up a resume...In my last layoff it was part of the exit package and at first I wasn't interested, figuring I'm a dynamic guy and can nail an interview no problem...wrong. The coaches really assisted in sharpening my ability to sell myself and truly come across in a positive light even with some tough questions.
    Best of luck, hope you nail something even better. You Can Do This!

Bearso...I truly do hate to hear this bad news..Keep your head up and look forward...Your Salty Dog will wait for you at a Couples Resorts.
    Hugs

Bearso please PM me with some contact info, I might have something for you!

I don't know your age, but my husband and I work for the Bureau of Prisons. He's a Safety Administrator. It seems like they are always posting job openings for Safety. State prisons do the same without the age restrictions. It seems like the safety profession overlooks working in the prison environment, but I know my husband loves his job. Something to consider!
    Stephanie

Bearso, so sorry to hear your news. As someone else said, I have been through it. Ended up reinventing myself and now am VP of a company. You never know what may happen. It's tough, but enjoy your time off as you seek your next adventure. Don't be afraid to step out and do something you have never done before. Good things are lurking around the corner.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Thanks everyone for you thought and support. I am using indeed.com to find openings. Good web site if anyone needs to look for a job. No bites yet and not a single word from the EED. Tanfastic, how can I PM you? By the way, I live in San Diego, CA.

Thanks everyone for you thought and support. I am using indeed.com to find openings. Good web site if anyone needs to look for a job. No bites yet and not a single word from the EED. Tanfastic, how can I PM you? By the way, I live in San Diego, CA.
    You can reach me at bruregan@gmail.com