Default FaceTime / skype / phone calls

Hey!
    We are going to CN for our 5th anniversary April 2014 and will be sadly leaving our 18mo old with my parents. What's the best way to stay in daily communication with them, FaceTime, Skype, phone calls??? We've been to CN in 2009 and just use the Internet cafe (didn't have room wifi then), in 2011 we were at CSA and had wifi in room but just used it for email. This trip I am wanting daily communication by Skype/FaceTime or phone. Any advice on my best/cheapest options and if there is room wifi at CN now???
    Also, anyone who has left a little one behind, I could use words of encouragement! I am so excited to be going "home" and know my husband and I really need this trip but I'm already feeling guilty leaving my baby.
    Thanks for all your help!

Yes, there is WiFi in the rooms so Skype or FaceTime are you best bet. Phone is very expensive.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

First - the kiddo will be just fine and won't even remember you were gone! Sorry to say, but when we ask our kids about what they remember about our trips alone, after a bit of prodding, they finally say "oh, you mean that week I stayed with grandma? That was awesome! You were in Jamaica? "

For calling home - face time & skype will work for planned communications but requires both participants to be on Wi-Fi with a computer or tablet.

But what about emergencies or situations where your sitter only has a cell phone and no Wi-Fi?

For those situations, we have had really good luck with magicjack - which gives you a local phone number that will ring anywhere you are.

Thus, you can call your sitter anytime and not worry about them needing to be near WiFi and they can call you back and not worry about long distance charges.

In our past trips, this meant we had to bring a laptop, the magicjack and a telephone - not exactly convenient so this year I looked for an alternative but found none.

I went to the magicjack website to renew ($20/year) and guess what - they have an app!

Within 5 minutes I had downloaded the app and was making wi-fi calls to my wife's cell phone.

Once in Jamaica, I will put my phone in airplane mode, turn on Wi-Fi, fire up the magicjack app & my cell phone will now make and receive (free!) calls as if we were in Atlanta!

My husband and I will be at CSS in 3 weeks. I haven't tried it yet, but I am given to understand that if you put your phone on airplane mode, then turn your Wi-Fi on, you should be able to use your phone as if it is a tablet, accessing web sites and apps without incurring international phone charges. Also, if your phone has Wi-Fi calling, you should be able to make a call from the resort without paying international rates. It would just go towards your minute usage, as if you were making a call at home.

I am leaving my 17, 15, and 12 year old with their Dad for the 8 days we will be gone and I am having a bit of guilt and worry as the trip gets near. That Mommy guilt is a powerful thing. I keep reminding myself that I am leaving multiple people with clear instructions and all my contact information in the event of an emergency, and that they will be fine. I'm also assuming that once I arrive and am surrounded by sun, sand and water, and drinks, I will feel much better. As parents we deserve the time to take care of ourselves and I know I am a better Mom for it. Have a great trip!
    Kelly & Troy
    CTI 2010
    CSS 2013
    CN 2015

We were able to use Facetime to talk with our kids the first couple of days at CN in July. They then went with Grandpa and Grandma to Yellowstone and were out of communication except for texts (they only have ipod touches). We ran into a few spots at the resort where Facetime wouldn't work but it worked from our spot on the beach and I thought that was awesome and so did the kids.

My wife was a little worried about leaving the kids the first day or so then Jamaica takes over and it's all good. I even got her convinced that we need to add 3 days to our next trip.

Can't answer the first part but the part about feeling guilty...You are not a bad mom for taking a break from one of the hardest jobs you can do. As rewarding as it is, you are on call 24 hours a day, 4 hours of sleep in a row is a miracle, and you can never call in sick! That's just the tip of the iceberg. You have to make sure the baby's mother is happy and healthy as well as your little bundle of joy. Taking a break for a week or so is good for all. You have to recharge your battery now and then.
    I'm sure you will meet a few couples on vacation with little ones at home feeling exactly like you.

I could tell you not to worry or feel guilty... but we still worry and feel guilty about leaving our two sons ages 22 and 17.
    Have a great time. You really do deserve it!

Sincerly,
    Dr. Fill

The baby and your parents are going to love the time together. We use Skype or Facetime to talk to our kids (13, 10, and 8). The application is free and the WiFi on the resort is free. Have a great time!

They have WiFi in the rooms at CN & it worked great when we were there in December. Phone calls using the room phone are $1 per minute to the U.S. so it really doesn't add up that fast & resort credits help pay for it .... I don't know anything about FaceTime but do know a lot of people Skype daily with their children. We do not have children but am sure that your little one will be fine & that your parents will really enjoy having this special time with them .... You & your husband owe it to yourselves & your baby because you will be happier & a closer couple for having this time to reconnect. Go & ENJOY!!!!! No guilt!!!!
    Julie

Hi! We left our 3 and 1 year-olds with my parents when we were at CB last week. The hotel wifi worked both in our room and by the pool, so we were able to use skype and facetime to talk to our kids. If your parents have an iphone, the imessage feature works as well for a quick text.
    Don't feel too guilty! Even the best parents need a break every once in a while. It will be good for you and the baby to reset and recharge. Plus, he's young enough, he won't remember.

We have left our little ones 6 and 3 with grandparents, on our way to Jamaica now. I am so excited to be going back but leaving the little ones has been extremely difficult. We set up Face time to use. Will try it and let you know how it goes.

All the resorts now have WiFi. The question is how the signal will be in your room. You may have to step out on the balcony, or find a spot to sit near one of the routers; lobby, beach, etc. I have not been to CN since 2009 either, but at CSS we were able to find a strong enough signal for Face Time on our balcony. We do not have an international phone plan, so we were unable to make phone calls. So we did a lot of texting while we there. Hope that helps!

Lynzee,

You will feel guilty till you hit the airport. Change into flip flops and have your first cocktail, knowing baby is with grandma and grandpa. My hubby and I have gone every year since our youngest was approx. 18 months as well. Nothing my folks could not handle and you will find that time away with hubby makes for a better mom when you get back. Allow yourself to enjoy.
    With Wifi we bought skype credits. We called home each day ( we are from Canada) for a week and it used $4. We sat out on our balcony and used our ipod touch.
    Enjoy and relax. Remember, your folks can call you if need be. But, they will be great and you can make your little one a tie-dyed tshirt on the beach.

What are your memories from being a year and half old? Go and have a good time.

I skyped with my sister from the bar on the beach at CN in 2012, while the husband went on the night dive. It was great fun and the bartenders were a hoot.

Anyone know how the wifi signal is by the wedding spots at CN???

To use FaceTime be sure to turn off cell data. Otherwise you will get a big bill later.

Thank you, thank you, thank you everyone! Such good advice and words of encouragement. I had a mini melt down about leaving my baby but am now feeling much better about our trip

Peteandsarah

We watched a couple of weddings from our balcony in room 9301. These were at the gazebo location not the beach location. We were close enough to hear the service if there wasn't any wind. Between our balcony and the gazebo is a tall tree and in that tree is one of the wireless access points. So while I didn't actually walk over to the gazebo and try the wireless it is very close and should work fine.

I'm leaving my 12 month old in 10 days! I'm nervous too but it'll be fun I'm sure

Thank you!

Anyone know how the wifi on the beach is at CN around the wedding area?