Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by FLgypsies View Post
    We LOVED the grotto and waterfall and agree it is sad to see it go. Our last trip saw it host an awesome game of pool beer pong Still, the hot tub will be nice.
    Pool beer pong???? Now that sounds awesome!

The hot tube looks very nice, the other one was practially worthless. The grotto was kind of cool, although I can see taking it out and opening up the area. Too bad ethe shallow end of the pool could not be deepened to the rest of the depth. Then we could play pool volleyball without disturbing the sedentary ones near the bar. As it is, pool volleyball most likely will not be played as it was (or wasnt') before. Mixed feeling for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bonethugs View Post
    Pool beer pong???? Now that sounds awesome!
    It WAS awesome Great times with great people. Glad they redid the pool, but won't be quite the same without the grotto.

Default sad the grotto is gone, but it's not a pool for volleyball

Quote Originally Posted by FLgypsies View Post
    It WAS awesome Great times with great people. Glad they redid the pool, but won't be quite the same without the grotto.
    the grotto gave the sunset beach pool a very unique feature which provided a nice waterfall visual as well as great waterfall sounds to relax and enjoy. It also provided some additional private relaxation space and separation from the swim up bar area.

This pool is not a volleyball pool. Although a net has been put up from time to time, the watersports staff do so reluctantly and would rather not do so at all. The pool is not designed nor sized for volleyball. It is very dangerous to have a game in this pool. When the grotto was there people would fall back and hit the rocks as well as the swim up tables as they get too competitive and get carried away with the game, and even now without the grotto the shallow end and slope create an issue. Liquor consumption and watersports do not mix well.

The game disrupts many other guests, the majority who don't want to play or have it played and the game is a liability and not worth the effort. We have been there when an inpromptu game happens and gets very noisey and rowdy and the ball goes flying into the bar area knocking down bottles and smashing glasses, the ball hits people sitting at the pool bar trying to enjoy a drink, the ball splashes and bounces out onto the pool deck and disrupts people trying to relax, read, suntan etc. it also negatively impacts guests who want to enjoy the pool as a pool, enjoy a swim, relax, chill, talk, or just "be" on a floatie.

Many times it's usually only a few people who want to play, so the majority of guests should not be negatively impacted for the small few who do.

Fantastic!...this is perfect timing, as we arrive on Tuesday, Nov 19 at CTI...we'll give it a try during Trading Places...

It looks good, but we will miss the peaceful sounds of the waterfall.
    CSS/SSB October 2009, October 2011, October 11-19, 2014!

Quote Originally Posted by you me & sans souci View Post
    the grotto gave the sunset beach pool a very unique feature which provided a nice waterfall visual as well as great waterfall sounds to relax and enjoy. It also provided some additional private relaxation space and separation from the swim up bar area.

This pool is not a volleyball pool. Although a net has been put up from time to time, the watersports staff do so reluctantly and would rather not do so at all. The pool is not designed nor sized for volleyball. It is very dangerous to have a game in this pool. When the grotto was there people would fall back and hit the rocks as well as the swim up tables as they get too competitive and get carried away with the game, and even now without the grotto the shallow end and slope create an issue. Liquor consumption and watersports do not mix well.

The game disrupts many other guests, the majority who don't want to play or have it played and the game is a liability and not worth the effort. We have been there when an inpromptu game happens and gets very noisey and rowdy and the ball goes flying into the bar area knocking down bottles and smashing glasses, the ball hits people sitting at the pool bar trying to enjoy a drink, the ball splashes and bounces out onto the pool deck and disrupts people trying to relax, read, suntan etc. it also negatively impacts guests who want to enjoy the pool as a pool, enjoy a swim, relax, chill, talk, or just "be" on a floatie.

Many times it's usually only a few people who want to play, so the majority of guests should not be negatively impacted for the small few who do.
    Buzz killer! Wow! When we played volleyball last summer everyone had a great time. Pretty much everyone participated in some way. The staff didn't mind either so I'm curious where you came up with that idea.

I don't want to sound lie an old moaner but my wife and I like to lie by the pool and relax and read a book and the first thing my wife said when she heard the grotto was being knocked down was that she hoped they did not increase the depth of the shallow end where she likes to lounge on her floatie as she did not want people playing ball games there with all the noise and disruption caused with the ball flying around knocking drinks over, hitting people on their sunbeds and books getting wet and I agree with her and I suspect a few others will also agree with her view. Its the same when you lie on a beach near the sea (anywhere in the world) and you have people who can't lie down and relax and they have to play bat and ball in the shallow water all day long next to you and besides being hit by stray balls even with your head phones on all you can hear in the background is the ball hitting the bat constantly rather than the gentle sounds of the sea. We have no problem with people wanting to do their own thing on holiday and if they wish to play games (and I do join in as well at times) then that is great but all we ask is they consider other people and play them away from where others are relaxing.

Default Volleyball maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
    I don't want to sound lie an old moaner but my wife and I like to lie by the pool and relax and read a book and the first thing my wife said when she heard the grotto was being knocked down was that she hoped they did not increase the depth of the shallow end where she likes to lounge on her floatie as she did not want people playing ball games there with all the noise and disruption caused with the ball flying around knocking drinks over, hitting people on their sunbeds and books getting wet and I agree with her and I suspect a few others will also agree with her view. Its the same when you lie on a beach near the sea (anywhere in the world) and you have people who can't lie down and relax and they have to play bat and ball in the shallow water all day long next to you and besides being hit by stray balls even with your head phones on all you can hear in the background is the ball hitting the bat constantly rather than the gentle sounds of the sea. We have no problem with people wanting to do their own thing on holiday and if they wish to play games (and I do join in as well at times) then that is great but all we ask is they consider other people and play them away from where others are relaxing.
    While I understand your points here, some like to be more active and get up and move around, maybe get a little exercise. If the volleyball is on the schedule, maybe 1 hour for 2 or 3 times a week, those who want to play could enjoy playing and those wanting to relax during that particular hour could plan to be down by the water at SSB, or in the water, or some other activity on the resort. They way it is, or at least the way it was when we were then last June, there was pretty much no physical activity of any kind. One day bocce ball was played with me, my wife, and two others, that was it in 8 days. It seems to me a schedule could be worked out that would permit volleyball playing occasionally without overly disturbing the relaxers. I went to play beach and pool volleyball on the clothed beach, but it is not nearly as enjoyable as playing naked.

Default Volleyball

Totally agree with Falcon.

I understand not wanting the noise and flying balls all day long, but when we were there we played for a couple ours in the afternoon, and it seemed pretty calm and well accepted. It was nice to get up and move around a little after relaxing all day. It also gave people a chance to start socializing. I sure hope we can do it again this year!

Volleyball sounds like a blast - although I can certainly sympathize with those who prefer to just relax. I like the idea of a scheduled game. I don't know if we'll be hanging at SSB all day long, but I'd certainly make an effort to be there when the V-Ball was happening.

At least it sounds appealing sitting here in the 25 degree Chicago weather. After a few days in the Jamaican sunshine - not sure, could go either way.

I agree with You me & Sans Souci and Falcon - the SSB pool is not meant for volleyball. It totally interferes with those who want to relax by the pool or have a drink at the swim-up bar. We have seen guests jump out of the pool to get the ball and slip on the edge, and also others who fall against the in-pool tables and scratch the side of their bodies. I have spoken to watersports and they have told me of numerous times when guests have been hurt. Also, if you're trying to have a nice quiet massage in the SSB hut, all you hear is the yelling and screaming from the volleyball game. If you want to play volleyball for an hour, go to the textile side where the pool is much larger and can accommodate such.

Looks great and the hot tub looks like a great improvement. We'll be in it in 2 weeks.

Great pics! Thanks! I should have kept looking! This are the pics I was looking for. Thanks!

Anyone have pics of the beach and water?
    Looking forward to April!

It's changed a lot in a year...we'll be there the last 10 days of March.

We'll miss the grotto but not that much. The hot tub appears to be a major improvement and the whole area looks crisp and new.

We are looking so forward to shedding multiple layers of clothes in exchange for no layers of clothes

(oops...duplicate post)
    Last edited by Nautical4life; February 7th, 2014 at 11:30 AM.

In the minority here. So no swim-up bar?? And the grotto was so very special. Improvement's are always nice. But now just a regular pool. Everything that made it special is gone. Yuck! Sad!
    The new whirlpool is nice.
    Mi love fi binaked inna Jamaica
    (Patois for: I Love To Be Naked in Jamaica / At the island or SSB Mon!)

JamAmericans
    No swim-up bar???? Where did you hear that??? Look at the pictures on page on.

The swim up bar is still there and a great place to meet people and chat.
    Chuck and Gail
    Washington DC area (Northern VA)
    CSS April 19th
    7th Trip to Couples (2xCSA 4xCSS 1xCTI)
    Too many trips to JA to count and still love it!

My best answer for you would be to look at the daily schedule. during the time pool volleyball is schedule, don't be at the pool or move to the beach area.

We booked CTI in November and now I think I'd rather go here LOL. Are there are shuttles from CTI to CSS so we can check it out?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2