Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

We always leave a day early and spend the night in a hotel. It is a lot of fun and adds a day to the vacation! In the past, we've done a park and fly in Minneapolis so that we can take the early Delta non-stop flight the next day. Another time, we flew to Detroit the first night and took the non-stop early the next morning. Detroit was awesome - there is a hotel right in the airport. We've decided to try spending the night in Atlanta on our next trip. Anyone know of some good hotels near the airport?
    Jan and Mark
    CN 2009
    CSA 2011
    CSA 2013
    CSS 2014

Last time, using cheapoair, we flew into Charlotte from Minneapolis the night before our Couples reservation, stayed at a hotel/motel in Charlotte ($50-$60) with free shuttle from/to airport (10-15 minute ride), then took an early flight from Charlotte to Mobay the next morning. We prefer stopovers at the Charlotte airport over others like Atlanta because it is smaller and easier to navigate.

It was not really stressful at all. In fact, it was nice to spread the flying time over two days (about 2-2.5 hours in air each day). The only minor negative was claiming and rechecking luggage at Charlotte. And if I recall correctly, we didn't need to pay another baggage fee to recheck the luggage in Charlotte.

you are all so great and helpful!!
    we did club mobay leaving one time and it was awesome. we will absolutely do it again. i am not sure it is worth it when we arrive bc i have to think a wed morn isn't too crazy. so this will be my 6 couples trip-i always have a suit in my carry on. i want to be on the beach with drink in hand asap! i could care less when my room is ready.
    although it may cost the same to take a later flight and just add a day at the resort, where we are in our world, that won't work. adding another day away from our children isn't a choice so we are willing and able to go to traveling "extremes" to get in as much beach time as possible. i had looked into flights from toronto before as they were relatively cheap and often went nonstop.
    thanks for all the tips! keep them coming!

Jamaicaready, we too love Sun countrys direct flights. Just wish they flew later into April

We're from Madison too. We drive to Chicago the night before, stay at a park and fly near O'Hare, and grab the early morning nonstop on American. We usually get to MBJ around noon, and going nonstop each way really takes some of the stress out of the travel.

We live in NY and always take Air Jamaica/Caribbean Air from JFK. The flight used to be at 6am but they moved it to 5:50am but we are leaving in 7 weeks and just received a phone call that we are now leaving at 5:40am. We will be getting in before 9:15. Getting in that early we are the first flight and thru in no time at all. The other thing is the flight home is not till 7:50pm which might be a problem for you as it gets into JFK after 11pm. We love it as we don't leave Couples (we go to Negril) till about 3:30 so you have a good portion of the day on the beach but we live only 20 minutes from the airport.

Quote Originally Posted by madtown mom View Post
    you are all so great and helpful!!
    we did club mobay leaving one time and it was awesome. we will absolutely do it again. i am not sure it is worth it when we arrive bc i have to think a wed morn isn't too crazy. so this will be my 6 couples trip-i always have a suit in my carry on. i want to be on the beach with drink in hand asap! i could care less when my room is ready.
    although it may cost the same to take a later flight and just add a day at the resort, where we are in our world, that won't work. adding another day away from our children isn't a choice so we are willing and able to go to traveling "extremes" to get in as much beach time as possible. i had looked into flights from toronto before as they were relatively cheap and often went nonstop.
    thanks for all the tips! keep them coming!

Take a look at flights out of Windsor Ontario. They have direct Air Canada flights and Windsor while far, is still drivable from where you live (approx 6.5 hours -- Windsor is basically nestled up against Detroit).

Use the site I linked earlier tripcentral.ca and set your gateway to Windsor. They have a great chart that also includes taxes in the final price.

Alternatively you could see if Detroit has direct flights. I'm pretty sure they might as Detroit is a Hub airport. Flying out of Detroit is usually super cheap too.

Not sure if it is an option but there are direct 6AM flights from Ottawa, Toronto (I think...) and Montreal.

Once we get to Mobay, we take a flight via Intnl Air Link. 10 minutes and in Negril. They have flights to Ochi as well. There is Timm Air too but we have not used them.

When going to Negril - after "Spring foreward", we are on the resort by 10:30 AM or so.

we look at it like you, a couple hundred bucks for what amounts to a full extra day. Plus the flight is like an excursion - they fly low along the coast. Very pretty

First time to Negril we did the air as we wanted to get there early.

Truth be told we got there the same time as bus did with people we met on the plane.

How? Rain storm delayed flights a bit and they had a rush of people. Still had to take a cab from aiport. If at couples negril, its across the street!

What they charge now makes it worth it? I don't know. We used to go 5 days. Then 6. Now 7. I take the bus now, chill and soak in the culture.

Its a beautiful flight and the island is beautiful! Its all good anyway you go!

Caribbean air out of JFK at 5:50 is awesome!! MBJ is empty when you arrive at 9:30 so within 1/2 hour you are leaving the lounge heading to the resort!!! We have done this twice and so far it has worked out getting us on the beach around 11-11:30!

Yep. JFK is calling to us! Dear friends/family we can have late
    dinner with and the early flight to the beach.
    Seeing dear friends and an extra day of sunshine is worth an extra
    Couple $$$

Check Funjet for just the flights. They often have direct chartered flights from many international airports into Montego Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by madtown mom View Post
    Yep. JFK is calling to us! Dear friends/family we can have late
    dinner with and the early flight to the beach.
    Seeing dear friends and an extra day of sunshine is worth an extra
    Couple $$$
    Last year we stayed at the Hampton Inn JFK and it was nothing special but clean and comfortable. There was a Bar/Restaurant in the Hilton next door that was great. It was connected by a long indoor hallway. Which is a big plus, you don't want to go walking around this area! The year before we stayed at the Fairfield by Marriott and it was Very Nice. The Bar/Restaurant only serves Pub style food (Burgers, Wraps ,Etc.). Which is fine by us. Both offer free shuttles to all terminals.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2