Default CSA in May - Atrium or GHVS

I am a bit torn on this. I like the look of the Atrium suites but am worried that the room will be very dark with the shutters closed with AC on. Is there any natural light? AC is a must so this is a big concern for me. I also want a view of water so was leaning towards the great house verandah suites. Any info will be greatly appreciated. This will be my first time to Jamaica and I am more than excited! It is going to be a loooong 7 month wait!

We really like the Atrium suites. When the shutters are open, there is plenty of natural light that comes in. When they are closed, it is obviously very dark.

That being said, the only time we close the shutters is before we go to bed, in the morning we open them back up to let in the sunlight. With the shutters closed, the A/C keeps the room very cool, no problems there.

The main reason we like the Atriums is the location. They are located in the part of the resort that has the thickest foliage which allows for extra privacy. The rooms are nice and spacious and they are also the only ones that include a hammock on their very large verandas. For added privacy, we request a 2nd floor suite at check-in.

There are a couple of Atriums that have a view of the ocean, but nothing like the beachfront rooms. I'm not sure if all of the Greathouse suites have a good ocean view, either. If I'm not mistaken, some look out over the alley between CSA and the neighboring property and others have a nice view of the ocean but also are right above the swim up bar.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the Greathouse Veranda Suites as it has more of a hotel vibe. The other rooms are more villa style with 4 rooms (older side) or 9 rooms (newer side) to a building. The only other room I would consider staying in are the Beachfront Premium Suites.

We haven't stayed in either but if you want more light and a water view, ghvs would be the choice. I have a couple pics of the greathouse and the view you'll get if you're interested, saraclemons19@yahoo.com

We love the old section of the resort, so would choose the Atrium. You're right, with the window slats closed and the shade on the door closed, this room can be dark (although some sunlight peeks in). Perfect for afternoon nap in the AC or for the evening.

We were "upgraded" to a GHVS one year and really did NOT like the room, so we returned to the front desk and finally got our requested Atrium. We didn't like the GHVS because we find it to be too "hotel-like" and really too close to the action of the pool bar, Cabana Grill, restaurants, etc. We also didn't like the view from the room (we had "lucked out" and been assigned the room that overlooks a beat up old building next door to the resort).

Some of the GHVS rooms do have a nice view, though, and it's really up to you whether you want to be in the thick of things with more of a hotel feel, or if you'd prefer to have a more rustic room in a (generally) quieter part of the resort. Also, some of the Atrium rooms do have an ocean view, but these are few and far between.

Oh, and the Atriums don't have TVs (the GHVS do).

Good luck with your choice! We love CSA, and hope you will too!!

Thank you for all the responses. Right now I am booked in a GHVS. I guess I will wait and see what room we get at checkin and if it is going to be one with an alley view, I will ask to switch to an Atrium.

Quote Originally Posted by moiira View Post
    Thank you for all the responses. Right now I am booked in a GHVS. I guess I will wait and see what room we get at checkin and if it is going to be one with an alley view, I will ask to switch to an Atrium.
    Just understand that your backup of switching most likely will not be an option. May will sell out. With honeymoons and weddings, it is very busy season at CSA. Atrium is a very popular category, so one being available would be unlikely.

Ok, seems I need a new plan. After talking to the SO we decided that we really want to be in the Atrium suite. Unfortunately, I booked the vacation through allinclusivevacations.com and they want a $50 fee just to change the room type (plus Iwill have to pay the upgrade fee ). I wonder if it would be possible to make the change directly with Couples?

Go for it, all you can do is try. Better call 1-800-couples quick.
    Last edited by softail19; October 16th, 2013 at 04:38 PM.

But honestly, it won't be a disaster if you end up with the GHVS....If that was the room category I had initially been drawn to and if it cost extra to change categories, I'd just stick with what I have. If you do happen to get the short end of the stick and overlook the next door alley, well that wouldn't be a lot of fun, but you could always request a room transfer (within categories is often easier to do). The rooms themselves are very nice - modern, clean, nice flat screen TV and nice bathroom. The GHVS with a view really do have a lovely view of the ocean and beach.

Please relax and see what Couples can do for you.

Ok, did try to call but since I booked outside agency I have to make changes through that agency ... which I just did. The more I look at pictures of the Atrium suites the more I love them. So, I will suck up the extra charge. Now, do I want 1st or 2nd floor? I am not happy if I am not planning and since Couples includes EVERYTHING I would want to do on vacation I have to have something to keep me occupied for the next 7 months!

Hey Mollra! Congrats on your switch! While you can't request a specific room (other than room type), I'll bet you'll love either the first or 2nd floors. They're both great! Have fun -

Quote Originally Posted by gonegril View Post
    Hey Mollra! Congrats on your switch! While you can't request a specific room (other than room type), I'll bet you'll love either the first or 2nd floors. They're both great! Have fun -
    Unfortunately, the change didn't go so well. Even with paying all the extra money I would have lost my $300 resort credits So, I will see what I can do when we get there. Either way I know I will love my room