Thread: SSB etiquette

Default SSB etiquette

Hi Guys,
    As you will no doubt figure out I am completely new to this but I have some enquiries about the protocols to follow when first attending SSB and subsequent visit there after.

I have never been AN nor has my husband so not sure how or what we do. As a woman of nearly 50 this sounds a bit strange but never had the facility to go AN have never really considered it but.

What do we do, get undressed once we have found a seat? or as we first enter SSB?

Where's the best place to sit if we are feeling a little shy at first?

What do we do for food, get dressed or not?

Do we get dressed to get a drink?

The biggest question is around grooming of both of us, what how etc.
    As you can see from the questions above we are really new to this so any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jim& judy we will be there November 4th thru 13 just walk down there find you a place you like rather by the pool or on the beach thing will come naturally we like the pool area our selfs . some people just wrap a towel
    , some just get there drinks with out nothing after a few day no one cares

First of all, read the "Feedback After Your Vacation" thread.

1) Find a seat and strip off, or when you first enter SSB. Either works, but I prefer to find a seat first.

2) On the far right (away from the bar). SSB is quite large so you can find a place pretty well isolated if you want.

3) No, there is lunch by the pool. Do grab a towel to sit on, though.

4) No

5) Whatever feels right to you. The vast majority of women do. I am told a majority of the men do but I was not paying close attention.

First let me say you will not regret your choice of Couples Sans Souci and especially SSB.

What do we do, get undressed once we have found a seat? or as we first enter SSB?
    You can just remove whatever it is you are wearing once you have found a place at SSB. No hurry to disrobe.

When we went on the orientation tour during our first trip in 2010, Miguel was giving us the tour and told a story of a couple who walked AN from their room to SSB because they thought it was the right thing to do. Still chuckle about that one today.

Where's the best place to sit if we are feeling a little shy at first?
    If you're looking to stay a little more remote from others, you'll want to be on the beach rather than the pool area. My guess is you will find yourself spending much time at the pool as you become more comfortable.

What do we do for food, get dressed or not?
    If you eat at SSB, no need to dress. Lunch is served and everyone eats AN Good idea to bring your towel to sit on either at the tables they set up or at the bar seats. Some people do dress and walk back to either the Beach Bar or Pallazina where they have the lunch buffet.

Do we get dressed to get a drink?
    You will be AN when you venture to the bar for your drinks.

Grooming is your personal choice. You can go completely bare, no trimming at all, or anything in between. Nobody really cares how you are groomed south of the border.

You will meet the most friendly folks of all ages and sizes at SSB. Enjoy.
    CSS 2010
    CSS 2013
    CSS 2014

Q. What do we do, get undressed once we have found a seat? or as we first enter SSB?

A. We found a place to plant ourselves and then got undressed.

Q. Where's the best place to sit if we are feeling a little shy at first?

A. Our first day we sat on the far right close to the water. By that afternoon we were at the pool and having a great time.

Q. What do we do for food, get dressed or not?

A. They will serve lunch. When we were there the grill area was by the pool so we really didn't worry about getting dressed.

Q. Do we get dressed to get a drink?

A. Nope. They have a swim-up bar and a walk-up on the other side. (at least they did before the remodel) . I will say to take a towel to sit on.

Q. The biggest question is around grooming of both of us, what how etc.

A. It's all a personal preference. At SSB you will see from one extreme to the other and everything in-between. No worries.

The biggest answer is to enjoy yourselves and have fun. CSS/SSB is a magical place. We will be returning there in 51 days.

Hi, the first thing to do when you go A/N is relax, everyone has to do it for the first time, once in their life. You will find that most people are "mature". Go to the beach, find a spot you like, get yourself organised, then when you are ready, get your kit off lol. No really, there is no hurry, no-one will come running up to you as soon as you get there and say, "quick take your clothes off".

Most people stay undressed whilst they are there. No need to cover up to get a drink. There is a grill by the pool, again, you dont have to cover up to go there.

Grooming is down to you, you will see, hairless, trimmed, wild - there is no etiquette.

Most important bit, is do it on day one, you will regret it if you leave it until the last day.

Have fun, we will be there in March 2013

At SSB, the more quiet area is to the right, away from the pool. The pool is the social point. Find yourselves a couple loungers and undress. You do not have to undress as you enter.

For food, they bring a buffet over and serve it up at the grill, which is next to the pool. People in general do not get dressed to eat, but some will wrap a towel around their waist while eating. I will cover my nether region with a towel or my napkin in case I spill something hot. Never good...lol. Sometimes we will get dressed and go over to the Pallazina or beach grill for lunch.

For getting drinks, nekked.

There is a whole section on the message board regarding grooming methods. As stated above, you see from one extreme to the other, although you will find most do groom to a point. Go with what you are comfortable with. no worries.

At SSB, you will find some of the most coolest, chilled out, nice people you will ever meet. There is no pretense, no pressure to join in. Many just stay to the right to be alone with your spouse, and no one will bother you. This is your vacation, so no worries. Chances are you will not be the oldest, youngest, biggest, nor smallest. Best thing is, no one cares!!! Everyone is accepted as they are. You will wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

On a hygienic note, be sure to use a towel wherever you sit, including your lounger, any chairs, or the stools at the bar.

You're going to enjoy the heck out of it... The shyness will wear off by the afternoon and by the second day you'll already have made friends.

The wife and I did it for our first time last January at CTI (we spent one day at SSB using our trading places option) and we fell in love with it. I'm a bigger guy and have always been shy at the beach due to my size, not so at the nude beach, if anything I felt liberated and more comfortable in my skin than ever before. And the wife, although shy at first, ended up trading emails/facebook info with people by the end of the week. We had so much fun that we couldn't wait a year to go back, we'll be at CSS in December.

- Greg & Irene - CSS 12/7-12/15/13 CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!

Thank you guys for all the replies. I am soooo looking forward to visiting SSB, just have to covince my hubby that it is worth having a try and if he doesn't like we will go to the textile beach, but 93 sleeps to work on him yet.

Yvonne,
    Lots of great advice....my wife was a bit shy so we spent the first few days on the beach away from everyone...didnt take long until we didnt want to leave You (and he) will discover the nude side is less judgemental and more comfortable than the regular side
    good luck and enjoy the trip!!

My wife and I are considering going over to SSB, me more than her . Any advice to help would be great. I never thought I would want to do it but the more I think about it and read the MB the more I think I would like to. I am nervouse about getting drinks and food. Will it be OK to cover up with a towel when I go for the drinks? I know I would like to at least at first. Thanks for any advice, I don't want to seem like I am pressuring her to go.

There are a number of people who will put a towel around their waist when they go up for lunch, or some put a napkin on their lap when they eat. Generally no one wears a towel when ordering a drink, as everyone around them is nude. No clothing is allowed and at times, wearing a towel has lead to someone wearing a cover-up, and then someone else putting on their shorts, at which point staff or a security guard will remind them of the rules. There are very few rules at SSB - no clothing (including cover-ups), no PSAs, no drugs. On our last trip, there was a man who never took off his towel, even when he was lying down - it made everyone uncomfortable. Finally, someone took it off for him! If your wife is not comfortable and you would feel better wearing a towel, then I would suggest that you remain on the textile side, and wait until you are both ready. It's your vacation, no point in it being a stressful one.

Quote Originally Posted by jhenderson View Post
    My wife and I are considering going over to SSB, me more than her . Any advice to help would be great. I never thought I would want to do it but the more I think about it and read the MB the more I think I would like to. I am nervouse about getting drinks and food. Will it be OK to cover up with a towel when I go for the drinks? I know I would like to at least at first. Thanks for any advice, I don't want to seem like I am pressuring her to go.
    Actually, I think covering up with a towel will draw attention to you...walking to the bar AN like pretty much everyone else does will help you blend in better if that is your desire.

If you are going to sit at the bar though, bring a towel to sit on. That is considered the polite thing to do in AN circles (unless of course you are going to sit on the stools in the pool).
    CSS - March, 2012
    CTI - March, 2013, 2014
    ??? - 2015

jhenderson.... relax for an hour or so at your computer and read this...

http://couples.com/mb/au-naturel-13/...acation-10073/

Once you go, you know! It really isn't a toughie and you'll never want to wear swimming costumes again (except at your local pool!! He he). There is something incredibly liberating about public nudity. It isn't some sort of letching fest and, believe me, once you have got your head around the fact that the men aren't walking around in a state of tumescence and the ladies aren't all catwalk models then you can relax and enjoy that camaraderie that seems to pervade SSB.

Try it on the first day otherwise you'll regret it!

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by jhenderson View Post
    My advice is "Just Do It"!!!!! A little liquid courage helped me at first because I was really nervous. My husband pretended to be brave because he thought I was going to chicken out. I decided you only live once and went through with it. It totally freaked him out and HE ended up being the shy guy! The bottom line is that nobody cares and nobody is watching you.....just have fun.

Mommamel

Hi jhenderson,
    I think you will be quite surprised how quickly you and your bride will be comfortable in the au-natural setting. It certainly something that I nor my bride would have ever consider a number of years ago. Before you go/try you have lots of thoughts going through your mind, but the reality, at least for us, is that it is far more comfortable, nor judgmental, less sexual, etc that on the textile side. Certainly not what we had thought pre-A/N. Now A/N option is a major consideration in our vacation selection.

As others have stated, and it is so true, there is a much more relaxed, friendly, natural, non-judgmental environment on the A/N side. My guess is that you will discover this to be true.

We are returning to Couples for the 14th time in a couple of weeks and will hit the A/N beach at Couples Negril on the first day.

We love SBB, and do that side of the island in the April-May time period. Know you will enjoy.

Thank you all for the advise. We will see what happens in 166 days, we cant wait to go back!

Quote Originally Posted by winlove View Post
    Hi jhenderson,
    I think you will be quite surprised how quickly you and your bride will be comfortable in the au-natural setting. It certainly something that I nor my bride would have ever consider a number of years ago. Before you go/try you have lots of thoughts going through your mind, but the reality, at least for us, is that it is far more comfortable, nor judgmental, less sexual, etc that on the textile side. Certainly not what we had thought pre-A/N. Now A/N option is a major consideration in our vacation selection.

As others have stated, and it is so true, there is a much more relaxed, friendly, natural, non-judgmental environment on the A/N side. My guess is that you will discover this to be true.

We are returning to Couples for the 14th time in a couple of weeks and will hit the A/N beach at Couples Negril on the first day.

We love SBB, and do that side of the island in the April-May time period. Know you will enjoy.
    Is there a reason you go to that side of the Island in Apr.-May? Had to cancel Oct. trip due to job(heartbreaking). May 31/14 is our anniversary and the best soonest time we can go. Been to Sans Souci in 2002 and then found Couples. Always wanted to go back to Sans Souci after it became a Couples property but the beach at CN on Bloody Bay is soo beautiful. Just checkin out opotions eh.
    Ere De Fun Don Done
    Grand Lido Sans Souci Feb. 2002, Couples Negril Feb. 2010,
    Couples Negril,Feb. 2011, Couples Negril Jan. 2012,
    Cool Runnings eh!

Default ssb etiquette and rules and protocol to respect everyone

it's a nude beach, a nude pool, a nude jacuzzi, and a nude bar and a nude grill...so simple rules:

1. no clothing, no towels, no wraps, just your birthday suit, ok, if you want to use a napkin on your lap when you eat - understandable, and yes put a napkin or towel on the seat when you sit to eat or have a drink, and do not pretend it's your time of the month (if it is and you need to cover up - go to the textile side). It's not clothing optional and towels and wraps and things are considered clothing and then it doesn't make you nude. If you are not comfortable with the totally nude SSB experience, well then, please go to the textile side of the resort.

2. no photography, please, that doesn't just mean cameras, so don't be trying to use your cell phones, smart phones, e-readers, smart devices of any sort to sneak a shot....if you try, your device will be getting a salt water bath....so leave your papparazzi tendencies for your room, or for the rest of the resort, or for sunset hour when it's ok to take pictures, and those who want to stay au-natural know that cameras are a coming and it's up to them to suit up, hide or smile wide!

3. no reserving the palapas or lounge chairs unless you are there and are going to use them. This behaviour of rushing to sunset beach before breakfast to reserve chairs and palapas is selfish and disrespectful for other guests. First come first serve. And please, don't be grabbing a beach palapa and lounger and then go up to the pool and grab an umbrella spot and or lounger only to leave your beach palapa reserved for " future use". Again, this is simply disrespectful.

simply, 1,2,3 and everyone will be happy!

Hi mark527,
    Yes... We alternate between the Negril and San Souci sides of the island. In the Fall (late Nov/early Dec) we generally go to the Negril side (CN and/or CSA), and then for our Spring trip (late April/early May) we go to the San Souci side (CSS) for our first week and then a different resort in the MoBay area our second week.

We have found that because the San Souci side is cooler with the mountains, it is more enjoyable, weather-wise, in late Spring that in Nov/Dec. Whereas we find the Couples Negril/Sweep-Away side more ideal weather in the Nov/Dec time period.

Whatever you choose is going to be perfect for you. Enjoy...

Quote Originally Posted by dawi View Post

Grooming is your personal choice. You can go completely bare, no trimming at all, or anything in between. Nobody really cares how you are groomed south of the border.

You will meet the most friendly folks of all ages and sizes at SSB. Enjoy.

In anticipation of this question coming up again:

Do what you are accustomed to doing and what has been comfortable for you in the past. One should never have to worry about what another thinks of one's grooming methods.

Remember that a few decades ago almost no one was bare down there and full bush was the order of the day and no one thought that it looked odd or dirty.

Check the 'Playboy' magazines' 'Playmate of the Month' centrefolds of a few decades ago. None of the models had their pubic hair removed. That was in vogue then. What is the difference now; and why should pubic hair become so unacceptable to the point that we feel the need to adopt other people's standards of grooming?

Our first visit to a nudist beach was to Sorobon Naturist Resort in Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles, in 1987; and everyone's pubic area was covered with bush at the time. That was norm. Some from that era want to go that way still and would not allow themselves to be bothered by the new grooming methods which see the removal of almost all hair.

We expect to be at CTI later this year and we shall be there in our natural states; complete with bush, which we prefer.
    Last edited by clydealp; March 6th, 2014 at 11:34 AM.