Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default News on legalization of marijuana

I just read that Jamaica has legalized marijuana as of Tuesday Feb. 24th, 2015. Anyone else hear about this?

Legalize it! (link)
    Last edited by Bert; February 27th, 2015 at 12:02 PM.

Yes. There is an article posted on the couples facebook page.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason B View Post
    I just read that Jamaica has legalized marijuana as of Tuesday Feb. 24th, 2015. Anyone else hear about this?
    I heard about it. They decriminalized small amounts of "Ganga" I'm in favor of that but I am wondering what the resorts will do now. When it was illeagal a no law breaking policy made sense but if it is legal then what would be the justification for forbidding it. We shall see.

KINGSTON, Jamaica (AP) Jamaican lawmakers on Tuesday night passed an act to decriminalize small amounts of pot and establish a licensing agency to regulate a lawful medical marijuana industry on the Caribbean island.

After several hours of debate, legislators in the lower House on Tuesday gave final passage to drug law amendments that make possession of up to 2 ounces of marijuana a petty offense that would not result in a criminal record. Cultivation of five or fewer plants on any premises would be permitted in Jamaica, where the drug has long been culturally entrenched but illegal.

The law paves the way for a "cannabis licensing authority" to be set up to deal with regulations on cultivation and distribution of marijuana for medical, scientific and therapeutic purposes.

Rastafarians can also legally use marijuana now for religious purposes for the first time on the tropical island, where the spiritual movement was founded in the 1930s. And tourists who are prescribed medical marijuana abroad will soon be able to apply for permits at a cost authorizing them to legally buy small amounts of Jamaican weed, or "ganja" as it is known locally.

Peter Bunting, the island's national security minister, said authorization of the law does not mean that Jamaican government plans to soften its stance on transnational drug trafficking or cultivation of illegal plots.

"The passage of this legislation does not create a free-for-all in the growing, transporting, dealing or exporting of ganja. The security forces will continue to rigorously enforce Jamaican law consistent with our international treaty obligations," Bunting said in Parliament.

William Brownfield, the U.S. assistant secretary for counter-narcotics affairs, told The Associated Press days before the Tuesday vote that "Jamaican law is of course Jamaica's own business, and Jamaica's sovereign decision." But he noted that the trafficking of marijuana into the U.S. remains against the law.

"We expect that Jamaica and all states party to the U.N. Drug Conventions will uphold their obligations, including a firm commitment to combating and dismantling criminal organizations involved in drug trafficking," he told AP.

For decades, debate has raged in Jamaica over relaxing laws prohibiting ganja. Previous efforts to decriminalize small amounts of marijuana have been scuttled because officials feared they would violate international treaties and bring sanctions from Washington.

But emboldened by changes to drug laws in other countries, Jamaican officials now have high hopes that the island could become a player in the nascent medical marijuana industry, health tourism and the development of innovative pot-derived items. Local scientists already have a history of creating marijuana-derived products, such as "Canasol," which helps relieve pressure in the eyes of glaucoma patients.

On Tuesday, Commerce Minister Anthony Hylton said the industry holds "great potential" for Jamaica, which is laboring under its latest loan program with the International Monetary Fund.

The Tuesday move by Jamaican lawmakers adds to an international trend of easing restrictions on marijuana for medical or personal use. More than 20 U.S. states allow some form of medical marijuana and last year Colorado and Washington legalized personal use. On Tuesday, Alaska became the third U.S. state to legalize the recreational use of marijuana for adults.

In the Americas, Uruguay last year became the first nation to create a legal marijuana market. Other countries in the region have made similar moves to Jamaica. In Argentina, personal possession of marijuana was decriminalized under a 2009 Supreme Court ruling that jail time for small amounts of drugs violates the country's constitution

The Justice Minister Mark Golding said the cabinet was supporting a proposal to allow possession of up to two ounces (57 grams) of marijuana, known locally as "ganja.".

Mr Golding also said marijuana would be decriminalised for religious, medicinal and scientific purposes.

It is expected parliament will approve the changes by September.

"I wish to stress that the proposed changes to the law are not intended to promote or give a stamp of approval to the use of ganja for recreational purposes," said Mr Golding.

Read more at: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-27827678
    <font size=2>
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015, CN 2016

That article says it would make possession of up to 2 ounces a petty offense that would not result in acriminal record. So does that mean it is still illegal, but you will just get a slap on the wrist instead of handcuffs?
    Is this Love that I'm feelin'?

CSS March 2013, April/May 2014
    CN April 2014

I love that 2 ounces is considered a small amount. Would last me a year.

A petty offense usually means a small fine with no criminal record, much like a minor traffic offense.

Possession of up to 2 oz. is a petty offense = still illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    The Justice Minister Mark Golding said the cabinet was supporting a proposal to allow possession of up to two ounces (57 grams) of marijuana, known locally as "ganja.".

Mr Golding also said marijuana would be decriminalised for religious, medicinal and scientific purposes.

It is expected parliament will approve the changes by September.

"I wish to stress that the proposed changes to the law are not intended to promote or give a stamp of approval to the use of ganja for recreational purposes," said Mr Golding.

Read more at: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-27827678
    Wally, your info and link are about a year old. The law has passed both sections of parliament.

I hope they at least adopt the same policies as they have with smoking cigarettes. I would not want to be in a restaurant and have someone light up a joint right next to me. Same goes for just about any other enclosed area. I also would not want my expensive resort suite to stink because a previous guest was smoking weed.

I do not partake myself. But I am not opposed to others using pot as long as they are not obnoxious or behind the wheel of a motor vehicle.

I feel that for the most part law enforcement will look the other way when it comes to tourists as long as they are not obnoxious. When it comes to the tourists, they have sort of looked the other way all along. They know that the tourists bring in a lot of money. But I would not bet on this either. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out over time.

Quote Originally Posted by JR&Naise View Post
    Wally, your info and link are about a year old. The law has passed both sections of parliament.
    Ops!
    <font size=2>
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015, CN 2016

451 views in only one day. If it has do weed or nudity... we are curious!

Even Colorado's laws do not make weed legal. You've got to get past the regular media to get to the bottom of how the law really works. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Jack View Post
    I hope they at least adopt the same policies as they have with smoking cigarettes. I would not want to be in a restaurant and have someone light up a joint right next to me. Same goes for just about any other enclosed area. I also would not want my expensive resort suite to stink because a previous guest was smoking weed.

I do not partake myself. But I am not opposed to others using pot as long as they are not obnoxious or behind the wheel of a motor vehicle.

I feel that for the most part law enforcement will look the other way when it comes to tourists as long as they are not obnoxious. When it comes to the tourists, they have sort of looked the other way all along. They know that the tourists bring in a lot of money. But I would not bet on this either. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out over time.
    It has the same provisions that were in the smoking laws from a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Jack View Post
    I agree that the best policy would be to treat it the same as nicotine smoking. No smoking in the buildings or rooms or in public gatherings. I believe the current policy is on record to expel guests for ganja and that really needs to be changed even if it is not actually enforced.

Just remember even if its legal in another country, once you get home if you get tested and its in your system you are screwed. Doesn't matter if where you smoked it is legal.
    CSS OCT 2009, 2011, 2014,2015

Pretty sure that most people who have a job that will, or might, test will not partake. We are adults after all.

If you want to chase away customers, by all means, allow Pot on your resorts.

That craps smells like crap, it permeates everything. Can you imagine going through security coming back into the USA with the stank of pot on your clothes........ and anyone that says it doesn't smell bad or permanent your clothes is being untrue.

When I was a stupid kid I smoked Pot. stupid yes, but I clearly know of what I speak when I say I don't want to be anywhere around it, or around stoned people when I'm on vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by ironranger View Post
    If you want to chase away customers, by all means, allow Pot on your resorts.

That craps smells like crap, it permeates everything. Can you imagine going through security coming back into the USA with the stank of pot on your clothes........ and anyone that says it doesn't smell bad or permanent your clothes is being untrue.

When I was a stupid kid I smoked Pot. stupid yes, but I clearly know of what I speak when I say I don't want to be anywhere around it, or around stoned people when I'm on vacation.
    I'm not sure if you're serious. I'd hope not.
    I'm far more inclined to be put of by drunk, ignorant people than someone who puffed a bit then sat down to relax for the afternoon. It doesn't "stick" to clothing, and you're already around "stoned people" most of your vacation anyway; they're simply discreet.

Mad Jack, the smoking regulations don't say "no smoking cigarettes."... Or pipes. Or cigars.. They say simply NO SMOKING. That applies to all products.

If it's legalized in the country how would it be Couples chasing away guests? Based on your logic, it would be the country doing so... If you are a repeat guest I can guarantee you have been around at least 1 "stoned" guest on your vacation and likely never knew it... This type of closed-minded perception is what led to the Reefer Madness craze in the US back when it was declared illegal... Unfounded myths and these types of baseless and blanketed thoughts... Do you drink sir? Recall prohibition? I am in no way lobbying for a free bag upon check-in and open smoking where ever you want, but your argument is just a little silly... I myself have been stopped by security when we arrive in the US, they politely ask if I may have came in contact with it while out of the country, I say yes it's possible, Did you bring any back sir? No... Can we check your bag? Of course! They have yet to ever even open my suitcase... I suppose you have vowed not to visit Washington DC, Colorado, Washington, Oregon and Alaska? Just another person hung up on the thought that they can manage another persons thoughts, desires and actions... Good luck in a few years when over half of the US is legalized...

For what it's worth, I asked couples what their policy on marijuana will be now that it is legal in Jamaica and I received a response saying that it will still not be allowed at the resorts. So I guess there's no reason to worry about coming into contact with it at the resort.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfhary20 View Post
    If it's legalized in the country how would it be Couples chasing away guests? Based on your logic, it would be the country doing so... If you are a repeat guest I can guarantee you have been around at least 1 "stoned" guest on your vacation and likely never knew it... This type of closed-minded perception is what led to the Reefer Madness craze in the US back when it was declared illegal... Unfounded myths and these types of baseless and blanketed thoughts... Do you drink sir? Recall prohibition? I am in no way lobbying for a free bag upon check-in and open smoking where ever you want, but your argument is just a little silly... I myself have been stopped by security when we arrive in the US, they politely ask if I may have came in contact with it while out of the country, I say yes it's possible, Did you bring any back sir? No... Can we check your bag? Of course! They have yet to ever even open my suitcase... I suppose you have vowed not to visit Washington DC, Colorado, Washington, Oregon and Alaska? Just another person hung up on the thought that they can manage another persons thoughts, desires and actions... Good luck in a few years when over half of the US is legalized...
    Well said!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast