Default Sea Urchins @ Ocho Rios!

Just wanted to post a warning that there are a LOT of sea urchins around Tower Island & SSB right now

You should be fine on the main beaches, but definitely be careful around tower island in the sea grass and close to the rocky cliffs to the right of SSB's beach - I counted 15 in just one small area!

One person stepped on one while we were there and had to go to the nurse and get antibiotics ($65+ just for the medication plus 1/2 a vacation day ruined!)

Fortunately the water was pretty clear so it was pretty easy to avoid them, but be aware that they are around.

Most water shoes should protect you, but I wouldn't take the chance of trying it out...

Michael

Default this is a good warning

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelAndKristin View Post
    Just wanted to post a warning that there are a LOT of sea urchins around Tower Island & SSB right now

You should be fine on the main beaches, but definitely be careful around tower island in the sea grass and close to the rocky cliffs to the right of SSB's beach - I counted 15 in just one small area!

One person stepped on one while we were there and had to go to the nurse and get antibiotics ($65+ just for the medication plus 1/2 a vacation day ruined!)

Fortunately the water was pretty clear so it was pretty easy to avoid them, but be aware that they are around.

Most water shoes should protect you, but I wouldn't take the chance of trying it out...

Michael
    This is a good warning and very true...in AUG at ssb, Me and my wife bouth stepped on them,.Me 2 days in a row. it hurt it stung..I still have it in my foot.....one second your having fun in the water....and then.....AHH.....still had a great time.
    (medication RUM)