Thread: Tax Deduction

Default Tax Deduction

I had blood work done last week and discovered my vitamin D is extremely low. I've spend the afternoon trying to figure out how to use our upcoming trip as a medical tax deduction.....

That would be great wouldn't it. But as a taxpreparer I hate to be the bearer of bad news. Won't work. Sure wish it would though, I'd try and get my doctor to prescribe the trip every year for me.
    Linda

LOL let us know if you figure that out!
    CTI- December 2010
    CN- December 2013

After my heart attack my doctor told me I need to reduce stress and that hanging out on the beach was a good stress reducer. So...

Forget medical, start your own business and have your board meetings at Couples, then it is a legit tax deduction. That is what I do.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Quote Originally Posted by Coloradojuli View Post
    Forget medical, start your own business and have your board meetings at Couples, then it is a legit tax deduction. That is what I do.
    Same here. A wonderful Caribbean location for our annual shareholder meeting.
    Proud palapa hoarder since 2007 !!!

Wife and I are having a "Corperate retreat and training". Yeah, thats the ticket!

Lindad - many years ago, Al Franken did a comedy bit on SNL just around April 15. He showed pictures of himself and his family on the beach n Hawaii. He then said "I needed these pictures - of me and my family on the beach in Hawaii - in order to do my job as a comedian. I wouldn't be able to do this sketch tonight without these pictures. As a legitimate business expense, that trip is now tax deductible."

I know it was just a joke for TV...but could he really do that? (If so, I will start a small business doing resort review videos!)

HAHAHA I think I need a Vitamin D infusion! Going to CSA in 29 days!
    Quote Originally Posted by vjp1974 View Post
    I had blood work done last week and discovered my vitamin D is extremely low. I've spend the afternoon trying to figure out how to use our upcoming trip as a medical tax deduction.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Lindad - many years ago, Al Franken did a comedy bit on SNL just around April 15. He showed pictures of himself and his family on the beach n Hawaii. He then said "I needed these pictures - of me and my family on the beach in Hawaii - in order to do my job as a comedian. I wouldn't be able to do this sketch tonight without these pictures. As a legitimate business expense, that trip is now tax deductible."

I know it was just a joke for TV...but could he really do that? (If so, I will start a small business doing resort review videos!)
    Bert, I have heard of some trying, but that is pretty difficult to do. Unless you could prove it was an "ordinary and necessary expense" they would probably disallow it if you would be audited. I would think in this case (the joke) they would disallow it. I personally would hesitate giving it to him.
    Linda