Thread: Newbies

Default Newbies

We just booked CN March 14-21. Just wondering if anyone else was going to be there the same time. Any advice for newbie on their first trip to a couples resort??

Canadian Couple,

Check out the thread that is about what to bring the first time, it's quite good. Second, relax and enjoy. There is no need to rush down to the beach to get a lounge chair at 7am in the morning- although some people do. There are plenty of spots. Make sure to sign up for romance rewards, BEFORE you go so you can start collecting the moment you leave your stay- I bet you will return. It is all couples but everyone there is friendly and outgoing. Head to the swim up bar in the late afternoon and you are sure to meet people. And remember, your excursions are included so I would say for the first time, go on the booze cruise, glass bottom boat tour, etc.
    Unlike most resorts that are perpindicular to the beach, couples is parallel to the beach so everything is right there.
    Oh, and make sure you allow for some time to go to the piano bar in the evening for a cocktail before dinner. Everything about this resort is pure romance without being cheesy. And, it's a relatively mature crowd so you can feel comfortable anywhere you go.
    Go to Shoppers Drug Mart and buy the SPF 30 lip balm they sell. And, make sure you have plenty of sunscreen. And it never hurts to have a Timmies travel mug for your Jamaican coffee in the morning.
    Any specific questions feel free to post. THere are some amazing folks on-line that are always willing to share info about CN.

Lisa ( Lisa & Brian)- our 3rd time is Feb 5-15th, and we're also Canadian.

Thanks..... this is our 5th time south, first to Jamaica and the couples resorts. Can't wait, hope it's half as good as it sounds!

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Couple View Post
    Thanks..... this is our 5th time south, first to Jamaica and the couples resorts. Can't wait, hope it's half as good as it sounds!
    We are Canadian as well (Rob and Debbie from Edmonton). We will be there on Feb 19. I have been there 5 years ago and I would say it will be better than it sounds. There is a reason why so many people go back there year after year. Definitely do the catamaran cruise and a trip to Rick's Café to watch the sunset is a must. Other than that, relax and enjoy the awesome staff and fantastic food.

You will love Couples. We have been going there for 10 years now and never thought I would go to the same place twice. We usually go to CSA but went to CN last year and loved it. Try to fit in the Trading Places one day.
    We are also from Canada (Ontario). Hope you enjoy your time atCouples.

Brennie,

We thought about the trading day but enjoy CN so much that we never seem to do it. Can you share some details about where to go at CSA?

Lisa

We are from Detroit and just booked our 4th trip to CN. We tried Mexico in 2012 and while we tried really hard not to compare it to CN...we couldn't help ourselves. The food and consistency of the drinks is far superior at Couples. We also kept wishing the staff was not so reserved in Mexico. Most importantly you will make so many new friends at Couples. We like the fact that you can find alone time if you want, but if you want to be social...you will meet the coolest people from all over the world! And the staff...they are exceptional. They are the reason we keep returning and are going again at the end of January.

Maybe we will try another island or Europe in a few years or 10 years from now. But for the foreseeable future...we will be going home to CN every winter for at least 10 days if I have my way
    Holly Irvin

Thanks everyone, some great advice.... can't wait. I know on the website it says no tipping. Is that for real??

Thanks everyone, some great advice.... can't wait. I know on the website it says no tipping. Is that for real??
    ABSOLUTELY! It is a strict policy. The best thing you can do for employees is remember their names and make note of the exceptional ones (all are so great) on the comment cards when you are checking out.

Have fun.

Canadian Couple,

Yes, that's for real. Tip the porters that bring your bag from the Couples waiting area at the airport to the bus. They are not greedy at all but they are not part of the Couples experience and $3-5/suitcase is great for them. Also, we tip the bus driver that takes us to the resort. I think the first time I was so excited I tossed them $20 ( for the 2 of us). They might stop on the way for you to get a drink. Grab a Red Stripe or better yet, ask for a Vodka and Ting (BEST drink ever).
    In terms of the resort, yes, the staff are kind and eager to help you without any expectation of tipping. Unlike Mexico and DR where you have to tip for everything, here you do not.
    Having said that, I may discreetly tip a waiter or cleaning staff if I so chose. They are pleased but make no mistake tipping is really frowned upon by the resort and it is all inclusive and they mean it. If I bring gifts (I brought ice wine, t-shirts, etc. I write a note of thanks and explain who I was giving the gift to and what the gift is.
    You will pleasantly surprised with the no tipping. It makes for an even more relaxing vacation.
    I will tell you this. We dispense roughly $60-100 over the week. Take that for what it's worth. Oh, and tipping at the spa is expected ( and well deserved).
    Let us know if you have anymore questions.

llivingston absolutely can give a few pointers.
    Have lunch at Seagrapes. CN really doesn't have a lunch option to compare to this.
    Walk the grounds. CSA is larger than CN. Go across the road where the fitness centre is but also a great pool which is never crowded.
    The beach at CSA is much larger. If you want to walk for a bit and explore go out towards the beach and turn left.
    There are many little beach bars along the way including Margaritaville. You can walk all the way to Negril but it is a bit of a hike.
    The best thing about trading places is getting a chance to check out another resort. We are returning to CSA in Feb. but will set a day aside to go back and spend a day at the beach at
    Canadian Couple yes there is no tipping. I know some have posted that they tipped or saw it happening but can honestly say in all our visits have never tipped, been pressured to or seen any one else tip. We do tip when we use the spa services.

Employees can get in trouble if you tip them. At the end of your stay you will be asked to write down any employees you felt gave exceptional service...this is how they get their bonus. You can tip spa employees but that is it
    Holly Irvin

Quote Originally Posted by hillystyles View Post
    Employees can get in trouble if you tip them. At the end of your stay you will be asked to write down any employees you felt gave exceptional service...this is how they get their bonus. You can tip spa employees but that is it
    Almost sounds too good to believe.

Almost sounds too good to believe.
    I know right...I remember our first bus ride from the airport. The driver asked if there were any repeaters to CN. There was a couple from the UK that was coming to CN for their 10th trip I think. I thought to myself that no place was worth visiting that many times especially because it's a big world! But January will be our 4th time to CN in 6 years. We take one big trip a year so that should tell you something...we tried Mexico in 2012 and this year we couldn't afford to go anyplace. CN really is the perfect vacation. Last time we met people from all over Canada too...even Thunder Bay! We still keep in touch with a couple we met from Toronto...they want to come visit us so we can go to a Red Wings game now that we get to play Toronto.

Oh don't forget to sign up for the rewards program so you can start counting your nights stayed right away! That way on your next trip you will be an old pro and get to meet more repeaters at the special repeaters dinner
    Holly Irvin