Default Smoking at CSS and CTI

We are planning a trip in January, traveling with another couple. Two in our group are smokers. We were considering CSS or CTI.

I understand Jamaica has had a smoking ban in effect banning smoking in all covered public spaces on the island, since July 15, 2013.

I heard resorts (in the last week or so) have actually started to enforce this rule, with some places only allowing smoking in designated areas.

Has anyone been to either CSS or CTI very recently who can confirm if smoking on your room balcony is acceptable? The Beach? The Pool?

Many thanks in advance.

I was at CSS at the end of July. There were some who smoked outside but never inside. At the beach and outside the balloon bar was were I saw it.

We were at CSS in August. We smoked at the pool at SSB and on our balcony.
    Drew & Gina

Your balcony will be a covered space so smoking is not allowed. However, I've heard that some guests have smoked at the swim-up pool bar at CTI and nobody has stopped them (despite the fact that the swim-up pool bar at CTI is a covered and public place, which should mean that no smoking is allowed there).

Please do not smoke on your balcony. You may not realize how much your second hand smoke travels . Your second-hand smoke can make the balconies surrounding yours unusable for guests who have a strong aversion to cigarette smoke. Nobody wants to go to Jamaica and pay for an oceanview room, and then not be able to use their balcony and be unable to enjoy the view because someone in the room next to theirs is smoking outside on their balcony.

We were at CTI in October last year. I was able to smoke on our patio, by the pool and on the beach, and at the outside bar. No smoking inside. I don't remember seeing any designated smoking areas. This may have changed the past 10 mns but not that I'm aware of.

You are allowed to smoke on your balcony as it's not public space, but not in your room. All the bars had no smoking signs. This was in July of this year. I believe you can smoke anywhere that is out in the open, just remember those around you and dispose of butts properly.

A balcony or patio to a room is a private not public space by defination.

For CSS, there is no smoking allowed in any enclosed areas, such as the Balloon bar, Casanova, the lobby, your room, the internet/games room. Also any area of gathering including any bar, swim up or not, and the outside seating at Pallazina. You CAN smoke in any outside area including pool decks, beaches, and your balcony.
    There is always a pro/con debate when it comes to smoking. Please if you do smoke, be courteous to those who don't, and those who don't, please don't expect others to not smoke in areas where it is allowed. CSS is all about respect and harmony. Lets all vacation that way and have an awesome week or two in Jamaica.

Actually, CSS provided an ashtray on the table that was on our balcony. We used it.
    Drew & Gina

Our view from D-4

Name:  DSCN0598.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  291.5 KB
    Drew & Gina

We just returned from CSS and no one said anything about our cigar smoking. Several in our group smoked at the pools, beach, and our balcony. In fact, they still give a "free cigar" certificate in the welcome packet. We did not smoke in any inside facility, of course.
    Cigar Dude
    Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

My cigar blog: http://tinytimblog.blogspot.com/

Is it possible to acquire the devil's lettuce around CTI or must you travel into town for such acutruma? Of course we will always be respectful of others.

You will be removed from the resort if caught...

That said, it will be legal in small amounts by the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisJamie View Post
    You will be removed from the resort if caught...

That said, it will be legal in small amounts by the end of the year.
    Bwah ha ha ha ha. Funniest thing I ever read.

Quote Originally Posted by jimpat1 View Post
    Please elaborate. One statement is the official policy, the other is the forthcoming legislation from the health ministry.

Why is that comment so funny... It will never be legal? You will not be removed from the resort??

The last time we visited Jamaica it was offered pretty much wherever we went, including within the resort (Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton). In fact quite a few resort workers had made it clear it was available and it was pretty clear many people chose to partake in that sort of activity. We are not bothered either way...

Quote Originally Posted by KrisJamie View Post
    Please elaborate. One statement is the official policy, the other is the forthcoming legislation from the health ministry.
    Ever see or hear of anybody being removed from the resort if caught? Relax mon.

Ever see or hear of anybody being removed from the resort if caught? Relax mon.
    Or, I can just state the policy to advise people of risk. They can make their own decisions from there.

You certainly can. I am just trying to provide the balance to your comment. You know, so people can make their own decisions from there.