Default Distilled Water Available at Couples Negril for CPAP machine?

I just got bad news last week, found out I have sleep apnea and will need a CPAP machine. It uses distilled water ... I'm wondering if the resort has distilled water on site or will I need to bring some bottled distilled water?

Check with you CPAP manufacturer. Mine said that tap water was fine for the 10 days I will be at CN.
    CTI- December 2010
    CN- December 2013

Bamelin,

I have used a CPAP machine for over six years. Every night, all night. It'll make a huge difference in the quality of your life.

I have no idea if they have distilled water or not at Couples, because I have never asked for it. I've been there five times with a CPAP machine, and just not worried about it.

At home I use distilled water, because I can buy it easily. On vacation... I tend not to worry so much, and use bottled. In Jamaica I have also used the tap water because the quality is very very good.

I am not a doctor, but I've had one doctor who told me nothing but distilled, and two others that will grudgingly admit that filtered/bottled water is good enough, even over a long period.

Most newer machines have tanks that are designed to be replaced after six months anyway. What you are worried about is residue building up on the bottom of the tank as it evaporates. Turns out in six months... It's not that much unless you use really poor quality water.

The more important thing to worry about is keeping the machine clean where it touches the skin and handles the air you breathe. Change your mask, hoses, and filters regularly, as they tell you to do.

That being said, would I use city tap water? NO!!! But I wouldn't go too far out of my way to get distilled when perfectly decent water is readily available.

My best advice to you just starting out? The last thing you worry about is the water. Worry about the overall quality of the machine you're getting. Ask your doctor to prescribe/recommend a higher quality model and just don't accept whatever the durable medical goods company pulls off the shelf and throws your way. I firmly believe that I am absolutely dependent my CPAP machine. It helps me to maintain a much higher standard of health, welfare, and happiness than I had before I got it. Therefore, I invest in it and treat it that way.

YMMV.

Jeff

My husband uses a CPAP machine. We find that tap water works okay for the time we are in Jamaica. At CTI we use the filtered water.

Thanks for the advice guys.

My doctor has recommended ResMed machines to me: Resmed CPAP Machines Supplies | FPM Solutions

It's my understanding that buying a CPAP machine is kinda like buying a car .... you don't want a clunker but you also don't want to be talked into buying a Ferrari either.

OHIP (Ontario Universal Health) covers 750 dollars on the cost of the machine and I think my insurance will cover the rest although I have to check. For years I've been waking up exhausted in the morning, and even worse I often oversleep (despite multiple alarms going off around me), which for obvious reasons has caused me countless problems over the years with various jobs. I'm hoping this CPAP machine helps make a big difference.

Thanks for the advice as well about the water ... sounds like my K-cup coffee machine. They recommend distilled water to prevent scum buildup but I've been using brita water and it seems ok.

Have used tap water every time we go 7-8 times, no problem mon

My husband took his CPAP the last trip to CN & will be taking it again in a few weeks .... He just used the tap water for the 8 nights & it was fine .... He uses distilled water at home but can't think that a few nights is going to hurt anything. You can get bottled water, though, if you want. I'm just SO GLAD that he's now traveling with it .... He's more rested & so am I, since he's not keeping me up.
    Julie

My wife and I are both on CPAP and both work in the sleep field. We both use the bottled water at csw with no problem.

Thank you for all the responses.

I haven't seen anyone confirm though if distilled (de-mineralized) bottled water is available at the resort? I'm probable being hyper sensitive because my machine is so new but my doctor insisted that distilled water can only be used in the water chamber and that tap water will cause problems.

I mean, I can pack distilled water if I have to, but i"d prefer not to if there is distilled water on site.

Also, while we're talking about it ... should I be putting the CPAP machine in the safe at night?

Quote Originally Posted by bamelin View Post
    Thank you for all the responses.

I haven't seen anyone confirm though if distilled (de-mineralized) bottled water is available at the resort? I'm probable being hyper sensitive because my machine is so new but my doctor insisted that distilled water can only be used in the water chamber and that tap water will cause problems.

I mean, I can pack distilled water if I have to, but i"d prefer not to if there is distilled water on site.

Also, while we're talking about it ... should I be putting the CPAP machine in the safe at night?

I currently have a Resmed S9 Elite that I love. It is probably the most tolerant to not using distilled water of any machine I've used over the past six years. I believe you stated your doctor was going to prescribe a Resmed machine also, so yours should be similar.

The decision to use only distilled water is up to you. I wouldn't count on it being there. It is worthwhile to note that the very unscientific poll that is this thread has had zero replies that packing your own distilled water was necessary.

Regarding the safe.... Never thought about locking it up, maybe I should. I have doubts it will fit though. The safes are not very big. I always leave mine on the floor ready to go..... In case a nap strikes suddenly.

Here is a tip from experience: I always put mine together and set it up as soon as we get into the room. Its not something you should deal with after a few cocktails.

Regarding security though, make sure you carry your CPAP on the plane with you. NEVER CHECK IT. You will have to open it up at the x-ray machine, so go ahead and unzip the bag and lay it open before it goes through. Most airlines, but not all do not count your CPAP against your carry on bag allowance, as it is medical equipment. Ryan Air is the only one I've found that did not do this, though I would suspect that Spirit airlines is probably the same way..

Never seen distilled water at csa or css.

It won't fit in the safe...day or night . Your cpap machine will be just fine on your night stand. If you are this concerned, take distilled water. My husband uses the bottled water while there and he has a resmed machine as well.

I'm on day 3 of using the machine. I'm actually starting to regard it as a magic life giving box. I never realized how abnormal my morning exhaustion really was .... 3 days in now and I'm waking up feeling like a million dollars. Can't believe the difference. I've never felt this awake and energetic in the morning in my life.

Spiff I ended up with the same machine as you, the S9 Elite. It's a great unit, very quiet and also very portable. Thanks for the advice regarding carrying it on. I didn't realize it would not count against my carry on allowance. That's great news. Wife and I leave for Couples Negril a week Thursday for 10 days. We can't wait!

Regarding the distilled water, I think I'll pack a couple 500 ml bottles in my luggage. If it runs out it runs out, but hopefully a few days of spring water won't cause any damage. I'm just hypersensitive about it right now because I literally just got the machine home on Saturday.

I'm on day 3 of using the machine. I'm actually starting to regard it as a magic life giving box. I never realized how abnormal my morning exhaustion really was .... 3 days in now and I'm waking up feeling like a million dollars. Can't believe the difference. I've never felt this awake and energetic in the morning in my life.
    It's amazing the difference it makes. It will also add literally years to your life. I forgot to take mine on a business trip once. That is a mistake I'll never make again! LOL. Glad it's working for you .

I believe the water issue is all about the calcium build up in the storage tank. I've just used tap water for 2 years and no problems. Its like a drip coffe machine, you need to de-scale it occasionally. Had my CPAP at CSA last year and just used the bottled water, I may have even used tap water there a couple of times, could have possibly even put vodka in ocassionaly that week !!!
    The tank gets a build up on metal bottom, so dump in some vinager and let it soak, then flush it out well. There are new tanks that seperate for cleaning.
    I dont recall any distilled water at CSA, but I never inquired about it.
    Like all others have already said, the CPAP has been a life changer, wish I had of got it sooner.