Thread: Hubby in a tie?

Default Hubby in a tie?

Quick question for all those in the know~
    My husband likes to dress up. Should he bring ties for dinner or just nice khaki's and linen shirt? We are staying at CSS.
    Thanks!
    t

From the FAQs:

What is the dress code?

During the day normal summer and swimwear attire is appropriate.

Beach Grill:
    Swimwear is permitted.

Breakfast and Lunch:
    Swimwear must be dry and covered. No bare feet. Shorts / t-shirts / flip-flops are most common.

Evening:
    Gourmet restaurants and repeat guest dinners: Semi-Formal – summer or cocktail dress and sandals, or skirt and nice top for women. Dress pants, khakis, shirts with sleeves and collar and dress shoes for men. Jacket not required. (Elegant dress sandals are allowed). Jeans, shorts, sneakers, flip flops are not permitted.

Other restaurants:
    Resort Casual - shorts with a nice shirt/blouse and sandals are allowed.

From the Couples brochure:

Be sure to pack lots of light and comfortable clothing—and remember to include a few nice items to wear at night! We like to think we’re pretty casual, but there are a few minor dress requirements. When dining in any of our restaurants—besides the laid-back Beach Grill—during the evening hours, we request that you keep your sneakers, shorts, t-shirts, and tank tops in your room. And while casual elegance is the preferred style at most of our restaurants, we request a slightly more upscale look at [the gourmet restaurant]. Men are asked to wear slacks, collared shirts, and closed shoes, while dresses, skirts, or dress pants are requested for ladies.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Quote Originally Posted by terri565 View Post
    Quick question for all those in the know~
    My husband likes to dress up. Should he bring ties for dinner or just nice khaki's and linen shirt? We are staying at CSS.
    Thanks!
    t
    Nothing says dressed up like a tuxedo. Of course if you bring along the cumberbum and vest he can mix and match for a different Tux look each night.

I have seen men wear ties to the gourmet restaurants, so even though a tie may not be required, your hubby would not look out of place if he chose to do so.

I have never seen a tie at a Couples resort. No ties and no suit jackets.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

He actually does have his own tux.... We could be known as "those" people. haha
    Thanks for the tips. I'll tell him to leave the ties at home.

When we went I took ties to wear to the evening meal since we wanted to feel fancy. We don't get that chance often and it was nice. Teresa wore some nice black dresses. I never wore a coat due to the hotter weather. I say if you like to be a little fancy go for it. If you don't then leave the ties at home.

I also might suggest against linen, or at least to bring alternatives, particularly if you're planning to eat outdoors. I grew up in a family of "those" people, and I always felt rather disheveled wearing wrinkled linen, and trust me, it will get wrinkled and quickly!

But really it's about you, not about others. I've always been one to err on the side of formality - I'd rather be overdressed than underdressed. If he's comfortable in a tie, it's not like people are going to point and laugh.

Hi Terri,

As a friend of many of "those people" (LOL) I say if he like's to dress up for dinner then encourage him to do it. It will offend absolutely no one, and it may even be fun for not only you two but also for others. Plus it may just encourage others to do the same.

Now for full disclosure on my part:

• I too, own a tuxedo. It's totally worth it.
    • I also have posted a picture of a set of crocs that I will wear to dinner without the slightest bit of shame.

That's just how I roll.

Spiff - I'm holding you to the picture of you and your crocs!! LMAO
    Kristen

Spiff- it would really be something if you wore the tux and the crocs... especially if they are grass green like my husbands. haha .

He may want to take a tie for at least one night. Maybe lobster night. We really enjoy dressing up and don't get to do it much anymore. We went on a cruise a couple of years ago and people were actually snickering at him when he wore a suit on a night besides formal night. Some people are just rude. Of course I thought he looked amazing and I guess in the end that is what matters.
    Last edited by terri565; September 29th, 2009 at 12:22 PM.

Spiff- it would really be something if you wore the tux and the crocs... especially if they are grass green like my husbands. haha .

He may want to take a tie for at least one night. Maybe lobster night. We really enjoy dressing up and don't get to do it much anymore. We went on a cruise a couple of years ago and people were actually snickering at him when he wore a suit on a night besides formal night. Some people are just rude. Of course I thought he looked amazing and I guess in the end that is what matters.
    If you wore crocs with a tux do you think people woudl have a problem? Did we ever get an official fashion rulling on whether or not crocs are considered a closed toe shoe and eligible for closed toe shoe eateries?
    btw everyone knows black crocs with a black tux

I work in an office and am required to wear a tie every day. Not one tie is going into my bags to Jamaica. That is the last thing I want to wear on vacation. Just my opinion...
    Kevin & Tammy
    CN 2005
    CSS 2010
    CSS 2014

He actually does have his own tux.... We could be known as "those" people. haha
    Thanks for the tips. I'll tell him to leave the ties at home.
    Obviously a person with good sense of humor. And what's funny is the question is usually asked in reverse, meaning most folks are usually trying to learn how much they can dress DOWN. Quite refreshing to see someone ask how much one can dress UP.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

When it comes to dressing up and down, i always say that you can never be too dressed up. I'd rather people look at me and say, 'wow, look how smart she is and takes care of her appearance' than 'She looks a bit casual'.