Default Debating Flight Options

Sorry that this is so long but I need opinions! We are looking into booking CN for later this month. We have two different flight options. They each have their pluses and minuses. Just as background - I am REALLY looking forward to this vacation. We have had a stressful summer (minor problems as life goes but....) and I NEED a vacation!

The cheapest option (which DH likes of course) has us not getting into Jamaica until 7:15 PM which means by the time we get to the resort we will have missed dinner which means we only get 6 dinners instead of 7. This option also has us not leaving Jamaica until 8:15 PM. The plus side of this is you get another almost whole day at the resort! The negative is not having a room for the afternoon and getting home LATE! I realize there are showers you can use and I am assuming we could leave our luggage with the bellman. It would be MUCH nicer though if we could stay in our room until close to departure (which I'm guessing would be around 4:15 PM). How is CN for allowing you to stay in your room past check out time? We are looking at going Friday to Friday. Is this a big changeover day (which I am assuming would affect our chances)?

The other option is flying business class - NICE! but of course is a LOT more money. The flight times are MUCH better IMO - get to Jamaica at 1:00 PM and leave at 2:00 PM. We would arrive at the resort in time for dinner the first day which would be great. However, we wouldn't have any time the last day to enjoy the sun and beach but we would get home at a reasonable hour. The other flight doesn't get home until 1:30 AM which seems to me kind of spoils the end of the vacation.

So which would you pick?!? Thanks!
    COR Feb 98; CN Jan 09; CN Oct 09; CSA Feb 10; CN Oct 10; CN Sep 11

Definitely the second!
    I'm saving up now for next August

Take the 2nd option. Once you land at MBJ, you still have to collect your bags, clear Customs, ride to the resort ( 90 minutes ). So you need to add 2 hours to your arrival time with NO FLIGHT DELAYS.

The savings on the 1st option don't outweigh the time lost and paying for a whole day at the resort when you might not arrive until 10pm or later

I vote for the second option as well. Besides first class is so much nicer than coach.

Amy

Depends on what a LOT more money is....but I would chose the second choice if it didn't break the bank!!!
    Kristen

Personally, I'd fight for the 2nd option too. I don't know how much more expensive it is, but you need to factor in the fact that with the cheaper flight, you are missing a whole day at the resort for which you are still paying the full nightly/daily fee. So you don't get to the resort until late and you still have to pay several hundred dollars just to sleep. It may not really be the cheaper option if you look at it that way.

Second - when yoou say alot how much are you talking? If it's $350 or under I would definitely go with your second choice.
    ... it keepsh me shane

Pay the xtra $$$, and make your life easier. Arriving home at 1:30 am after a great vacation sucks.....

In our experience, we have not been able to stay in our rooms past check-out time. One time we were allowed an extra hour, but that was it. And, even then they were rushing us to get our bags at the usual check-out time. It is nice be able to spend that last day on the beach longer and enjoying the resort, but my overall preference would be the second choice you have listed if you can afford it. It is much nicer and more relaxing to arrive at the resort on the first day and have time to settle in and to have dinner, and it isn't always very relaxing having to spend that last day at the resort without a room.

Just to add my two cents in...I certainly don't want to make your decision any more difficult, but are you sure those are your only two options? You certainly don't want to miss out on a day at the resort...that's uncool. But if it's FAR more expensive the other way, well, that's uncool too.

1. Not sure where you are contemplating flying from, but could you check the departures from another airport, maybe a larger one to see if the flight times are better? We have to fly out of an airport which is two hours away because our tiny airport has few good options too.

2. Could you possibly use the extra money that you would possibly pay for the business class for an extra night and go with the first flight? Maybe the return times would be better on the following date and with an extra day maybe you would not feel quite so crummy about the late arrival?

3. Could you consider booking a bit later to see if the flight options improve?

I wish you the best.

we flew out late and asked to stay in our room an extra couple of hours, they told us no problem! Because of course its never a problem in Jamaica mon!

Jay

also, keep this in mind. If you have 2:00 departure back to the US at 2:00, couples will make you leave at 10:00 am

Thanks for all the replies! We have just booked the 2nd option - executive class here I come!!
    COR Feb 98; CN Jan 09; CN Oct 09; CSA Feb 10; CN Oct 10; CN Sep 11