Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How long are the wait times running for shuttles from Couples lounge at MBJ?

My husband and I recall sitting for nearly an hour in the very crowded Couples lounge last December waiting for a shuttle to CSA.

Was that normal or does it usually happen faster than that?

Trying to figure out whether we want to do Club Mobay arrival service for a December Sunday afternoon arrival of around 1:40 p.m. Historically it looks like 10+ flights within an hour of our estimated arrival time.

I am leaning toward doing this but just don't want to feel like all our time saving will be lost sitting in the lounge waiting on a shuttle. I do realize that the shuttles from Couples are independent of Club Mobay but just want to know what others have experienced with regard to the wait time for a shuttle to CSA.

I hear your concerns. Last March we got an early flight and sailed through immigration but had to wait about half an hour for our luggage. Then when we got to the Couples lounge, we were the only couple waiting for the shuttle and had to wait another half hour for a staff member to show up so she could get a ride.

We have been to Couples ten times and have only spent at the longest 15 minutes in the lounge before the shuttle takes us to the resort.

The wait is typically around 15 minutes. Just barely enough time for a restroom break and a red stripe or two.

In 5 trips to csa snd 1 to css, we've never waited more than 25 minutes.

October was my 5th trip and my husband's 20+. This past trip we waited about 3.5 minutes. The longest wait was about 35 minutes. I guess it would depend on the time of year you go. We always go April and October, which is shoulder season. We prefer to avoid peak season crowds.

Let me ask my question another way. On our flight from MCO, I know of two other couples that will be on the plane with us that are going to CSA. I know them but we are not traveling as a group and we are going to be doing our own thing that week and I don't think they would want to book Club Mobay.

Does Couples arrange shuttles based on certain people coming in on a certain plane so that if I was to book Club Mobay would I still be waiting on the same people that I know will be on the same plane heading to CSA or is it done by arrival in the lounge regardless of what plane you fly in on.

If we are going to be waiting on those same people anyway, then it would not make sense for us to book the arrival service with Club Mobay.

laharlson - I would like to know as well...we have been to CSA 3 times and were thinking of using Club Mobay this time - but I too was wondering if we would have to wait for the rest of the people from our flight (or other flights) before we were able to get a shuttle to CSA.

We have been to Couples 3 times so far and another trip scheduled in February 2013. In general, here is how it goes.

After you get through Customs and Immigration, find your luggage then proceed towards the exit. You will find the Couples Lounge near this exit, on your left. Check in there immediately.

The bus will usually take several couples. There will be buses heading towards Negril with couples heading to Swept Away and Couples Negril. There will be other buses heading towards the Ocho Rios area with couples heading to Sans Souci and Tower Isle. We have never had a bus to ourselves.

In general, we have never waited more than about 30 minutes for a bus. Kick back in the lounge and enjoy a Red Stripe or some Champagne on Couples.

Something to consider. You now know about Club MOBAY. It is a crap shoot when you hit Customs and Immigration at Sangster. The last time we went, we waited in line for an excruciating 2 1/2 hours going through Customs and Immigration. You just spent a lot of money on your trip to paradise. Why get cheap now? Club MOBAY is only about $150 per couple. How will your SO feel while waiting in line for hours because you were too cheap to get Club MOBAY. For us, we will NEVER wait in line for over 2 hours again.
    Last edited by Mad Jack; November 12th, 2013 at 08:42 AM.

They plan shuttles according to flight arrivals so you may have to wait anyway.

my guess is the contracter shuttle co. goes to "negril". I recall dropping off guests at Sandels. given that CN is before on the way in I can see dropping off guest there as well.

My guess is the shuttles go as quick as they can fill them. If the airport is busy, I would expect time to be less unless there is a backlog.

If customs is long, I would imagine you'll be leaving without them.

Couples shuttles only drop off at couples resorts I'm almost certan. They won't be stopping at the shoe resort or any other resort chain.

Quote Originally Posted by softail19 View Post
    Couples shuttles only drop off at couples resorts I'm almost certan. They won't be stopping at the shoe resort or any other resort chain.
    This is correct.

We have been there for peak season and off season and in 6 trips we have had one long wait of maybe, just maybe 25 minutes until we have boarded our shuttle. Once we were the only ones on the shuttle and a couple of weeks ago there were 6 other couples on it. Usually you have just about enough time at the Couples Lounge to check in with them, make certain the luggage (if you have any) is tagged properly, go to the bathroom and get a drink or three (I usually get a couple to go), then you are whisked away. Traffic, wrecks and weather can play havoc with the shuttles though and I have heard of others who have had a wait because of those issues. And the shuttles only stop at Couples Properties now, other then the Potty Break stop.

For our next trip in three weeks, we elected to arrange for our own private transportation for two reasons:

1) Don't want to wait on (or hold up) others before we head out.

2) On every crowded bus, there is always that one or two people that love to be louder than everyone else and are usually the ones that feel like they get to make the decision as to whether or not the bus stops for food/drink on the way.

We had that person on our last trip and decided that $50/couple is worth it for the private ride and plenty of ice cold Red Stripes in a bottle.

We've done it 8 times. I would say the average wait is 20 mins. We've been out in 10 and waited 30 max. They typically want to fill a bus so will wait for enough folks to arrive for that to happen -- but one time we were the only ones on the shuttle. The good news is there is water and soda and Red Stripe in the lounge. RELAX! On the vast scheme of things, does a bit of extra time really matter?

We have never waited long at the Couples lounge. In fact, last time we barely had time to use the washroom and change. I am thinking Club Mobay to skirt the customs line and baggage chaos. Will that work? Will Couples know we have arrived?
    Since no Couples lounge for the departure, thinking Club Mobay for then. Anyone do this?
    Flying Westjet. When/how do we book Club Mobay?

In our 8 times going to CN, we've had waits of less than 5 mins to about 20 mins at the airport. Must admit that even the "longer" waits aren't a problem. We grab a Red Stripe/Diet Pepsi and/or water, use the restroom, relax, check email . . . we have never found ourselves "bored." The time moves very quickly when you're on vacation.

Please remember, you're on Jamaica time and you're on vacation. The extra 5-10 minutes won't make any difference in how much you enjoy your vacation. If you REALLY want to maximize your time at the resort, skip the restroom/beer/smoking stop before you get there. You're ONLY 20-30 minutes from paradise where you"ll have all the restrooms, alcohol and (for those who do it) smoking you want. If you stop, that's where your time will be lost. Politely tell your driver "no, thank you" and drive on to Couples.

Our last visit, we waited in the lounge for about 30 minutes before loading up on the shuttle and hitting the road...This next visit we have booked a private transfer. No waiting for other guests and we can stop when and where we want. Oh, and cold Red Stripes sitting on ice waiting for us...well worth the $50/couple.

Quote Originally Posted by muck View Post
    For our next trip in three weeks, we elected to arrange for our own private transportation for two reasons:

1) Don't want to wait on (or hold up) others before we head out.

2) On every crowded bus, there is always that one or two people that love to be louder than everyone else and are usually the ones that feel like they get to make the decision as to whether or not the bus stops for food/drink on the way.

We had that person on our last trip and decided that $50/couple is worth it for the private ride and plenty of ice cold Red Stripes in a bottle.
    I am thinking about using a private care this time. Have you used this service before? And it's $50 per couple or per person? Any help or info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Club MoBay was only $60 per couple through CSA when we were checking out and heading back to the States. It was WELL worth our dime when we were leaving on a Sunday afternoon. Our shuttle brought us in around 12:30 and our flight didn't leave until 2:50. Needless to say, we drank our $60 worth of drinks and ate some snacks in Club MoBay. Not to mention, we were through security, etc. in about 15 minutes. It is a definite MUST in my book when leaving Jamaica.

Quote Originally Posted by muck View Post
    Our last visit, we waited in the lounge for about 30 minutes before loading up on the shuttle and hitting the road...This next visit we have booked a private transfer. No waiting for other guests and we can stop when and where we want. Oh, and cold Red Stripes sitting on ice waiting for us...well worth the $50/couple.
    Can you please share your contact for this private transportation?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MBMon View Post
    Can you please share your contact for this private transportation?

Thanks!
    Not sure if Couples will allow me to post the name but there is a list of reputable transfers you can contact over on the TripAdvisor Negril forum. Do your research. Most transfers charge about $50-$60 (+ a tip of about $5 per person) for up to 3-4 people one way (around $150 round trip total). The other benefit is that you can also use the same driver to take you around town if you like and many will loan you a cell phone to use while you are in town...although by using their phone you would be expected to provide them some business such as a return trip to Montego Bay or a Negril excursion.

About 3 Red Stripes at the bar outside and a chance for us to update our graffiti there as well, haha!

We also use a private transfer. It costs $120 to Ochee. When you book a private transfer, make sure you understand if you're booking a private transfer, or a shared ride. A shared ride will stop at more than one resort and have more folks on it. Much better off taking Couples transportation if this is the case.

We prefer the private transfer for several reasons. We can stop or not at our leisure. Our driver arranges a Jamaican cell phone for our use while we're on vacation. I call for dinner reservations from the beach. Lazy I know, but adds to my vacation experience. We also can talk to him about off-site excursions which we like to do a few. Our vacation starts when we get to our private driver who has become a regular acquaintance and the first familiar friendly face we get to see each trip. Well worth the money spent.

I will be glad to send anyone his contact information, just e-mail me at usmc7236@yahoo.com The msg board has stopped me (understandably) from posting his information in the past.

S/F
    Scott and June

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast