Hybrid View

Default Booking for high season - Any Tips???

I'm having an itch to book a Couples trip in January after the holidays, but the prices are really high... significantly higher than we have paid at other times when we booked further in advance, which I suppose makes sense.

Does anyone know if the prices ever drop a bit on flights or on the resort closer to last minute? Or do you know of any way to find deals/discounts? I've looked at all the different travel sites but they are all showing similar rates.

I really want to go, but not sure I can justify spending so much... what to do!!!

The rates for the resort will not go down. The cheapest time to book is when the prices are first announced about 1.5 years in advance. Planning way in advance really is your friend when it comes to a Couples vacation. If you want to go, I'd suggest booking before Thursday as the prices go up then.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

If you're not choosy about the resort, Secret Rendevous can be cost effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Coloradojuli View Post
    The rates for the resort will not go down. The cheapest time to book is when the prices are first announced about 1.5 years in advance. Planning way in advance really is your friend when it comes to a Couples vacation. If you want to go, I'd suggest booking before Thursday as the prices go up then.
    I was afraid that might be the response... ack! That's very little time to make up our minds, yikes. Will the rates really go up on Thursday? They already seem higher than I've ever seen them in the past. Although I don't mind the kick in the butt to just make the reservation...

I would really think that Couples would not lie about the impending rate increase November 14th. Book now to avoid paying even more money if you are serious about going in January.

The rates will usually be higher the more you procrastinate. Meaning that if you wait until the beginning of the busy season to book your trip, you won't get the best rates, you get the most expensive rates.

To get better rates you must book as early as possible. You can also get a better rate if you stay in the off season. After April 15 until mid September. However, if you book for the middle of the summer you would want to add traveler's insurance just in case a hurricane disrupts your stay.

We typically go to CSA in January/February and we usually book in April for our winter trip. January is peak season in the Caribbean. The prices would only come down if there were unbooked rooms. But the resort is almost always at 96% occupancy when we are there in the winter. If you are not picky about the room type, you could try waiting until the last minute. But then your airfare will most definitely be through the roof. Also, when we booked in April, we had asked our travel agent to check on the premier beachfront suite rooms. There were none available, and that was 9 months ahead of time! As another poster noted, you could try Secret Rendevous, but then you have no control over the resort or room type.

Just booked for Late January. Got an amazing deal! Don't give up and keep looking. It's worth the search! Sometimes we can't plan a year in advance especially if you have a new job or children. I wish I could private message you, but I don't know how???

michelpr - I'd love to hear how you got your discount! Email me at alison.johannes@yahoo.com if you wouldn't mind.

Also Jane - try Vacations, Resorts, and All-Inclusive Packages | CheapCaribbean.com

we used them for our trip in September and after checking EVERY other option I could find, it had significant discounts compared to everyone, even better than booking directly with Couples!

We ended up booking before the rates were supposed to go up. Was definitely more expensive than in the past when we booked ahead or in off-season, but I know it will be worth it and we won't be thinking about that money once we're there! I found that travelocity was hundreds cheaper than all the other sites I was looking at, so ultimately went through them and then bought the insurance separately after shopping around a bit for that as well. I AM SO EXCITED.

I sent you an email Aaly

I spent 8 years in the resort industry in South Florida. Rates don't go down in peak season; airline or hotel/ resort. Makes it tough when you LIVE in the tropics and want to take a trip elsewhere in season lol! The outbound flight is low, but you pay through the nose coming home. That's the price you lay for paradise.