Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Large group

Default Large group

In six long days we will be arriving at Sans Souci with a group of 10. We booked 9 months ago and have been super excited ever since. Im worried about getting seating and room for tours for a group this large. Has anyone gone with a large group before? Recommendations? Im sure we will do our own things some days but would like to have dinner once or twice together. Thanks!

I am sure they will do everything they can to make your stay wonderful; just keep in mind your staying at a resort that is geared to couples not groups.

We have just returned from CSS and I have to say that while there were some groups of 4-6, we didn't see a group of 10. As redinthehead says, the resort is geared towards couples so whilst I'm sure they will do their best, you may not get seating for that large a group in Palazzina or Bella Vista simply because it isn't physically possible.

Default No problem mon

Quote Originally Posted by radgirl View Post
    In six long days we will be arriving at Sans Souci with a group of 10. We booked 9 months ago and have been super excited ever since. Im worried about getting seating and room for tours for a group this large. Has anyone gone with a large group before? Recommendations? Im sure we will do our own things some days but would like to have dinner once or twice together. Thanks!
    We had 10 in our group and we ate together in Casanova Rest. the first night and got a table for the whole group. The Gala and Beach party they put a big table together for all of us to sit. It was great. Just ask the people setting up the parties and they will set the table up and reserve it for you. The other night everyone was on their own. We had a great time.

"Once you go...you know."
    Steve & Victoria

Phew - why on earth do you want to go Couples in a group of 10? It's for couples.

I appreciate you can probably flex the theme and the ambiance to suit you and so you and your mates will have a good time...... but what about everyone else?

It will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthjfj View Post
    Phew - why on earth do you want to go Couples in a group of 10? It's for couples.

I appreciate you can probably flex the theme and the ambiance to suit you and so you and your mates will have a good time...... but what about everyone else?
    They've booked a group of 10 because (unfortunately, IMO), it seems that Couples is really marketing toward the destination wedding crowd….And a group of 10 can be small in that context….Too bad - when I see a big group, I RUN the other way….

Try 90+ at CTI, though they were respectful to staff. Restaurant bookings took the hit.

Thanks for the imput. We are looking forward to the trip!

Although Casanova may accommodate you at dinner, generally it's groups of 4 or less at breakfast and lunch. As others have said, it's Couples and CSS is known for its romantic setting for couples, not groups. When booking a dinner reservation, we ask in advance if there are any wedding groups, as we then will eat at one of the other restaurants.

We were at TI last weekend for only three nights and tried to go to the Verandah our first night. We found that the entire restaurant was reserved for a wedding. There were a number of couples that weren’t very happy. This was the only night we could eat there because we booked Bayside and Eight Rivers the other nights.

Life is good

"Try 90+ at CTI, though they were respectful to staff. Restaurant bookings took the hit. "

I think if I knew a group that large was going to be there, I would ask for a refund. I'm sure they can be considerate and respectful, but I would for some reason feel out of place. Probably just being selfish, but I don't want any of the wonderful service we have received over the last 20 years or so being diverted to accommodating a large group. Would never want to hear "Sorry, the catamaran is booked for ...", or "the pool bar is closed for a special function for ...", or "no palm leaf hats today because ...".
    Although, I have been trying to find a place to hold a reunion for my fraternity brothers - I think most of them are still married and the rest can certainly find dates (just kidding of course - they could never find a date).

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_and_Sandi View Post
    "Try 90+ at CTI, though they were respectful to staff. Restaurant bookings took the hit. "

I think if I knew a group that large was going to be there, I would ask for a refund.
    Sure, but how will you know? I just didn't get my Bayside fix(es) that I would have liked.

Please, Please, Please, be mindful of the people around you while dining. I am far from a prude but if we dress up for dinner I expect a to enjoy a quiet romantic meal with my wife. Last time (CTI) there was a table of 8 with two or three very loud people, while I'm happy they had a fun time, it just wasn't the place for it. Hope you all have a great time!

I just noticed on the new website, there are group packages for "Contracted Groups" or "Group Celebrations." They may have had this before, but I never noticed it until now.

It's really sad that Couples markets themselves to large groups. I understand small groups for destination weddings, but I thought the purpose of a destination wedding was not only for the location, but was for the intimacy of a small group wedding. I think an increase in larger group activity (10+ rooms = at least 20 in a group) on the resort is really going to deter from the peacefulness that being a couples only resort provides. Especially if the group is just there to party, it is much more likely that a group of friends will be loud and rowdy and will infringe upon another couple's day.

The fact that groups have been so large that they have kept couples from dining in one of the restaurants just isn't fair. If you consider that a couple chooses their resort and books their trip with the intension that all the activities and restaurants will be available to them, and then they are not because another large group has overtaken them, shouldn't Couples lay some ground rules for groups? Like if a group wants to book out an entire restaurant, then they must do this on a night that the restaurant is normally closed. Then other couples will not have anything to complain about.

That's the question, how do you keep a large group from interfering with another couple's vacation?

I absolutely agree with benandmiranda and as we'll also be at CSS from 18th December, I really hope that it will be back to 'couples' for the Christmas period. We were at CN last year at the beginning of December and there was a group of maybe 10 people, who were very loud and took over the restaurants. Not exactly conducive to a romantic meal!

I hope Couples will be careful about the booking of large groups! Large group bookings at some other resorts have made those places undesirable for many reasons.
    This is especially true if the group is given special considerations ahead of other paying guests (seating at dinner, etc...). This is a dangerous path with the lure of group $ for the resort but often brings with it a diminished vacation experience for other paying couples.

I believe Couples large return crowd comes back because of the romantic experiance they enjoy while at the resort. I can't believe the large crowd, party atmosphere is going to help that. They are kind of hurting the unique atmoshere in my opinion. It will only take one group messing up our vacation to have me venturing out to other destinations.

Last year at CN there was a group of about 30 from Maine. I think they pretty much did their own thing so there was really no impact that I could tell...other than meeting a bunch of really great people. I enjoyed that trip and would love if that group returned during our next trip. (hi John!)

Although we went with another couple our last trip, we met a few other couples, and we all ate dinner together one night. There were 6 couples (including us) that dined together. We had to wait till much later in the evening to get a table together, but in the end, what is the difference if people traveled there together, or met at the resort and wanted to dine together.
    I agree that 90+ at once is quite a bit, but with as many people that are on this board can probably attest to, that was most likely an outlier, and not a normal occurence.
    _____
    CN 6/12
    CN 7/13
    Next Trip ???

Interesting comments, I have talked with a number of people on this Forum and they plan on going back the same time each year and plan to meet each other there, plan on meeting at the beach, drink at the pool bar or at one of the many bars on the properties. I get it that they are together during the day but alone in the evenings, but last year at CSA we met a few people that were repeaters who ate many meals together (one group of 8 and another group of 10) and met at the Martini Bar a number of evenings. It's still a group.

It didn't bother us, then again we make friends easy and always end up in some kind of group at a bar. Groups are only a problem if you let them bother you or they impinge on your vacation. We ignore others when we want to be alone and join in when we want to be social. People by nature are social creatures, I've been married for almost 32 years, have a great wife, absolutely love our romance time at Couples but also love to join people at the bar in the evening to have some laughs.

My question to everyone is when is a group to large? Should it be "illegal" to have more than one couple meet up at the beach, pool bar or disco? Where does Couples put a stop to the meeting up of repeater "friends"? We hear that in the au natural beach areas that everyone is so social and friendly, should we stop this as well? I guess what I'm saying is should we judge all groups (even repeaters who meet up the same week each year at the same resort) or only groups that we aren't part of? Maybe a solution would be to have Couples set certain weeks each month or year as group weeks. Certain weeks would be for groups smaller than 6/8 and other weeks for groups larger than 10. This would be for all groups!

I agree that having large groups could be a problem. I hope couples doesn't let it get out of control. I know they need the biz but they could loose some in the process.

Although we understand about repeaters meeting up, we don't agree with promoting large groups. We were planning on making trip number 7 this spring but after seeing this listed on the website we are going to start looking for other options. Sad.

My take on the larger groups. Yes, many meet up with other couples and make plans. Large groups expect to be able to do any of the things they would like to do as a group. If that begins to push the Couples out of certain activities, I believe that is a problem. Also, when the larger groups are on vacation together, they tend to take over aspects of the resort. I have seen this and heard stories from others. And this is not reserved to wedding parties or other travel groups, but also Couples repeaters that meet at a certain time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by benandmiranda View Post
    I just noticed on the new website, there are group packages for "Contracted Groups" or "Group Celebrations." They may have had this before, but I never noticed it until now.

Couples has, in fact, had the group package for years. The "Contracted Groups" offer (every 11th room free), or something very similar has been available (as well as the "grouples debate") for at least 8-9 years; probably longer.

I recall a message board member using the MB to lobby others to travel the same week to CN and book through him so they could get the group deal. Seemed a bit against the spirit of the idea and I believe that person was dissuaded by Randymon.

As far as "grouples"... We've had many trips that overlapped with large groups traveling together, and some trips with multiple groups. At least one was very well behaved in our experience, and we enjoyed sitting with some of them at the repeater dinner. But on the whole we prefer to be at Couples when there are no large groups and just try to avoid them as best we can when/if they are there during our stay.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast