Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Large group

We usually meet up with many other couples while at the resort but we do NOT group together to eat..I suggest you split up by no more than four during your meals..We have never had a problem with large groups at any of the Couples resorts.

Hugs from 10 0 C
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Larger Groups (90+) or Multiple's of 10

Quote Originally Posted by gonegril View Post
    They've booked a group of 10 because (unfortunately, IMO), it seems that Couples is really marketing toward the destination wedding crowd….And a group of 10 can be small in that context….Too bad - when I see a big group, I RUN the other way….
    Wow, I can't even imagine a group that large at any Couples. On my own personal side I'd just as soon not be there during such.
    We like many of the responders on this board are multi repeaters and all have our own reasons for returning year after year to Couples.
    I'd like to see management let guests know at the time of booking of such large groups. We are pretty flexible when we book and would look at other dates.
    It's just that in many situations large groups tend to forget about others.
    Does anybody see a name change in the future from Couples to Groups? Come to Jamaica for a romantic group getaway! Sound like something you might be interested in?
    J&B

Quote Originally Posted by KrisJamie View Post
    Try 90+ at CTI, though they were respectful to staff. Restaurant bookings took the hit.
    90?? As much as I love CTI, I think I would have asked to be moved to CSS.
    Vicky

Quote Originally Posted by Sherm View Post
    Although we understand about repeaters meeting up, we don't agree with promoting large groups. We were planning on making trip number 7 this spring but after seeing this listed on the website we are going to start looking for other options. Sad.
    This is sad. I still plan to repeat Couples, taking the chance there will be a large group or two. I think large groups could be the demise of Couples, but I'm not going to help it's demise by not going... Yet. I guess I haven't had a really bad experience yet. I agree with the feedback on this post regarding repeaters meeting up, small groups of 3-5 couples, they are usually not noticed and it may even appeal to me to be part of a small group. But if large groups, 10+ couples, become the norm and start interfering with my vacation, as I have heard from others that they have, then I too will have to reconsider.

Tommy nailed it!

Yes, Couples is about couples. But we, like a lot of our friends, get no kid-less couples time throughout the year. Couples attracts so many like-minded people, it is a great place to get together with other people who also don't get much alone time. We don't get rowdy. We don't take over restaurants. But we do hang out during the day and after dinner. We enjoy every moment of that "adult time" we don't get at home. And - trust me - we allow for ample romantic time. It's really the best of both worlds.

So don't be too hasty in your "Groups" relabeling.

Hey, where's the "No Problem" "It's all Irie mon", attitude about this? I guess that only applies when it's something people agree with. I say have your vacation your way and let others have theirs' their way as long as Couples doesn't have a problem with it.

If it's really a problem for you then I would suggest voting with your dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Vickyj View Post
    90?? As much as I love CTI, I think I would have asked to be moved to CSS.
    CSS is missing the staff we love.

Orv, we have taken your advice and ARE voting with our dollars. 6 time repeaters looking for a different Negril destination this year.

Maybe I am missing something. I don't see a huge issue with a large group or lot's of small groups, or even "individual" couples. The resort capacity does not change just because of the perceived relationship between the guests on site at any given time. Everyone has to eat. If the resort is at capacity it is at capacity and everyone will be going to one of the restaurants at some point to eat dinner. I suppose a larger group could fill a small venue "by themselves", but we have been unable to make reservations on occasion just... because. Not necessarily due to a large group, but because the resort was at, or near, capacity. I mean, 90 people is 90 people, or 45 couples. See how that works. They do not stack extra people in the rooms, there is no "standing room only" policy or multiple occupancy for groups. Even with a large group I would bet that a majority of them are going to treat this as a personal vacation for themselves as well as a destination event for the entire group. I would be very surprised to see more than a fourth of that group together at any one time for anything other than the wedding itself. We have had issues with individuals becoming drunk, noisy and obnoxious far more often than with larger groups. And for the record, we are 8 time repeaters at CSA and have seen many groups on site, albeit none as large as 90.

Just my 2 cents.
    See you at the beach!
    dirtleg & sandyfoot

hi

Only been to CSA once and loved it!!! We are booked to return in 61 days (YAY!!)

I don't remember seeing any large groups while we were there and we really enjoyed our time together. I'm sure there must have been groups as we saw a lot of weddings but we were certainly not aware of any problems.

However, I just read a review on TA where a group went to celebrate a 60th birthday and they emailed the resort 2 weeks ahead to make reservations for restaurants, cat cruise etc. When they arrived there was an envelope waiting for them with all their confirmation slips. My understanding of the booking system was that you couldn't book until a couple of days prior so if larger groups are able to book in advance, couples trying to book once arrived are obviously going to find it harder to get the dates/times they want.

Hope this isn't the case as I think the way it's done now is very fair to all.

Looking forward to getting my next attack of sand gravity in 61 days

Joolz

I also just read the recent review on trip advisor. While I personally don't have a problem with large groups, it does seem a bit unfair that they would get privileges that other couples don't, like booking in advance for example. I had thought that not too long ago Couples was offering advance booking before arrival at the resort, and due to the issues others have mentioned, that practice was stopped. I guess I just feel that options (like booking restaurants, etc in advance) should either be offered to everyone or no one.

dirtleg, that is exactly what I was going to post. I agree 100%.

The only problem I ever saw with larger groups at CSA was if they all wanted to be at one table for dinner. I'm talking about 10-12 people. The couple of times I saw this happen the restaurant was much noiser than usual. Once you get more that 6 people at a rectangular table the whole dining as a group thing is wasted. If you are at one of the ends of the table there is no way to have a decent conversation with a person at the other end so what is the point?

The potential problem with groups of any size is the individual/individuals in a group that have the entitlement mentality. We are the "Smith wedding" so we should get special treatment. I'm sure everyone reading this knows someone like this. This is a personality issue, not a group issue. We have all paid hard earned money to stay at the same resort and we should all expect the opportunity to participate in all or none of the resort offerings. Just because we are there as a couple and you are part of a group shouldn't mean we should always yield to your group. Remember you also booked as a couple.

Someone once posted “It’s not called Grouples”. Sorry, I get upset when I can’t get into a restaurant due to a very large wedding party.

Life is good

We saw a group come into Casava Terrace at CN and start to move tables around to accommodate themselves. The staff seemed none too pleased (and I can't blame them).

barbjer asked "Does anybody see a name change in the future from Couples to Groups?"

I believe that is left to the H resort just south of CN.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtleg View Post
    Maybe I am missing something. I don't see a huge issue with a large group or lot's of small groups, or even "individual" couples. The resort capacity does not change just because of the perceived relationship between the guests on site at any given time. Everyone has to eat. If the resort is at capacity it is at capacity and everyone will be going to one of the restaurants at some point to eat dinner. I suppose a larger group could fill a small venue "by themselves", but we have been unable to make reservations on occasion just... because. Not necessarily due to a large group, but because the resort was at, or near, capacity. I mean, 90 people is 90 people, or 45 couples. See how that works. They do not stack extra people in the rooms, there is no "standing room only" policy or multiple occupancy for groups. Even with a large group I would bet that a majority of them are going to treat this as a personal vacation for themselves as well as a destination event for the entire group. I would be very surprised to see more than a fourth of that group together at any one time for anything other than the wedding itself. We have had issues with individuals becoming drunk, noisy and obnoxious far more often than with larger groups. And for the record, we are 8 time repeaters at CSA and have seen many groups on site, albeit none as large as 90.

Just my 2 cents.
    Well said, we always travel with friends and family. This year we are traveling to CSA with a group of five couples. We don't plan our meals together or our excursions, we do meet up at the beach and relax together. Other guests wouldn't know if we had come there together or had met after we arrived. We find plenty of time to spend alone together as well. We have a wonderful vacation and are blessed to be able to share that time with our friends.
    Irie ,
    (Ladydia) Dianna

CTI 2006, CSA 2007, CN 2008, CN 2009, CN 2010 twice
    CN 2012, CSS 2012, CN 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Ladydia41 View Post
    Well said, we always travel with friends and family. This year we are traveling to CSA with a group of five couples. We don't plan our meals together or our excursions, we do meet up at the beach and relax together. Other guests wouldn't know if we had come there together or had met after we arrived. We find plenty of time to spend alone together as well. We have a wonderful vacation and are blessed to be able to share that time with our friends.
    Ditto!

We always return with new couples (friends & family) because we are blessed and excited to share our little slice of heaven with others. CSA has our heart and we want everyone to be able to experience this amazing place!

Unfortunately, people can simply be rude, it doesn't matter if they are a part of a group, a couple, or alone. Let's not be too quick to judge...

Swept Away Nov/Dec 08'
    Swept Away Jun 10'
    Swept Away Oct 11'
    Swept Away Jun 15'
    (Long time coming after vacationing in 8 other countries...it's time to return home)!

The "group" issue isn't about capacity as dirtleg wisely points out. It IS about behaviour. The loveliest people (me included) get into party mode in bigger groups: the volume goes up and the group members often tend to egg each other on. This can be fabulous fun if you're in the group or if you've chosen a resort for bounce and communal jollity.

If on the contrary you've specifically chosen a resort for romance, coupley ambiance and relaxation then it can be spoilt by the rowdy crowd who might go unremarked upon or even enjoyed in a different setting. We've been disturbed until 3 or 4 am by rowdy revelers on their terrace, and we've had a precious celebration dinner somewhat spoilt by a very large drunk rowdy group in Palms.

I'm really not an old fogey and I love a party myself - we book our second holiday on that basis taking the family with us ( Marrakesh this summer) but if it happens again on our very hard earned couple time ( back to CSA in 2 weeks) we might book somewhere different next year.

We went as a group of 16 for our wedding at CSA back in 2008. Honestly, I had not ever thought about it bothering anyone when we planned it. We were not interested in dining all together (other than wedding day - off resort - private venue) as we all had our own interests and schedules (I.e. some early risers, others not). We were not permitted to dine in groups larger than 6 at Feathers or Lemongrass. Once we were allowed 8 at Palms. We were never loud and rowdy. During the day some would meet at the beach while others did whatever. We stressed to all that it was their Couples vacation to enjoy as they wished. No need, or desire to be joined at the hip all the time.
    Since then we have been to all 4 resorts and things changed. More and more big groups of all sorts, not just weddings. We don't mind as long as the group is respectful and aren't always together and/or loud and rowdy. We have met and been welcomed into a few groups now, but dine as a couple only, other than beach party, repeaters dinner, CSS gala and CTI NYE celebration. Lots of grouportunites.
    I admit that I don’t like the noise a group in a closed restaurant creates. Not their fault. It just happens when people talk across a table and more people involved. Makes it hard to have quiet conversation as a couple. It was particularly bad last trip to CN in Dec. I honestly think they should limit/stop group evening dining. Wedding dinners should be private/separate IMHO. Groups can meet for breakfast, lunch, group events like beach party, and during the day.... and be respectful of the couples. (ie no boom boxes at the pool ever!)
    Don't like it? Don't want to be quiet? Maybe take your party to one of the masses of resorts that can cater to groups and families. We did. Year after our wedding some of us travelled together to Turks and Caicos. Adult only and lots of big tables. No worry of ever bothering anyone by laughing or talking too loud. If the couples there don't like it - tough - go to Couples. LOL. Gorgeous big beach too. Perfect for groups. Pick the right venue. Respect.

Our first visit to Couples was with another couple. Our second visit was with three other couples. While we enjoyed being together as a group (at the beach or pool), we also enjoyed being apart with our spouses. There are obviously two sides to this thread, and I respect both. Each side has their own convincing opinion. I think it just comes down to respecting others. That's it...respect. We are visiting Couples again this year and there are other couples joining us. This thread has enlightened me to how some groups can be unknowingly disrespectful to couples that are celebrating on their own. I will be passing on this information to those visiting Couples with us. We certainly don't want to be "that guy" or "that gal" who would disrespect others.

Respectfully,
    Kevin & Tammy
    CN 2005
    CSS 2010
    CSS 2014

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2