Thread: Looks like rain

Default Looks like rain

Well our very first trip ever to Jamaica and to CTI is coming up and it looks like it is going to rain the whole time

better than snow!

It always looks like it's going to rain the whole time. I guarantee that any time you look at the forecast it says chance of showers and 88 degrees. We have been there three times with that forecast (during hurricane season). One year, we had only afternoon scattered showers. One year, we had a whole day of rain (out of 9) and we stayed in. The third year, we had one scattered shower crop up that was problematic in the afternoon (we got stranded on the island during it). Otherwise, don't worry about it. It's a tropical climate and it always calls for rain.

Not sure what you're seeing, but there is no consistent, nor significant, rain in the next 10-day forecast. Anything beyond that is just historical averages. All I see is sunny, warm days on all of the four major Caribbean weather reporting sites.
    "Brutalize me with music..."

CN: 11/2007, 11/2010, 11/2011, 11/2013

Ok, you'll get MANY replies about the rain and before I went for the 1st time I heard mostly "don't worry if it rains it clears right up. " we spent 10 days on our honeymoon at the end of April/beginning of May and it seriously rained the entire time & clouds were always out. (a year later when booking our next trip I looked at the rain reports for that week we were there at it was a crazy fluke of rain!) we went 2yrs later and were practically begging for rain by the end of the trip. It maybe rained 30min the whole 8 days. (Stayed end of April/beginning if May again). Guess you cant predict the weather! I'm interested to see how it will be this April. I think for my own sanity I will NOT look at weather reports before we get there.

Quote Originally Posted by lynzee View Post
    Ok, you'll get MANY replies about the rain and before I went for the 1st time I heard mostly "don't worry if it rains it clears right up. " we spent 10 days on our honeymoon at the end of April/beginning of May and it seriously rained the entire time & clouds were always out. (a year later when booking our next trip I looked at the rain reports for that week we were there at it was a crazy fluke of rain!) we went 2yrs later and were practically begging for rain by the end of the trip. It maybe rained 30min the whole 8 days. (Stayed end of April/beginning if May again). Guess you cant predict the weather! I'm interested to see how it will be this April. I think for my own sanity I will NOT look at weather reports before we get there.
    Great advice. Why worry about something you can't control?

We were just there in October & the forecast was for 30-70% rain every day straight.

It did get cloudy, but in the 11 days we were there it only rained twice - each time it was over in about 20 minutes.

Cti & css are right on the beach and you can watch how the clouds will form up in the mountains as the day goes on & move west - towards ocho rios which is where the forecasts are actually for.

At cti - if you see rain clouds out at sea to the right of the island then expect to get rain - any other clouds will stay up in the mountains

At css, the rain approaches from g block - any other clouds will stay south & wesr of the resort

Keep in mind it's a tropical location - rain is frequent but usually fast moving - usually you can stay where you are and wait it out.

If you know you're going to get all day rain (1 day out of 40 for us) - go to Dunn's river that day - you get soaked anyway!

Otherwise, the real threat is not rain, but too much sun - we've seen couples who didn't take the sun seriously and by day 3 they're hiding under the shade doing nothing because they're dehydrated and badly sunburned!

But most importantly - don't hide in your room if it does rain - we had a blast hot tubbing in the rain during our last trip!

When we went to CSS in Sept the forecast said rain every day. It rained for 1 hour on the last day so I wont look at the forecast before we go in April.

We've been to Swept Away 4 times all at the end of November and have only had a couple brief showers, usually at night. last year we did have 1 day that it rained for about 4 hours but typically the weather has been great. I hope the weather on the other side of the island will be just as nice. 8 days!!

Better stay home then.

It rained every single day from Nov 4 -11 around the same time for about 15-30 minutes, we just made that lunch time or beach bar hangout time or if your close enough to the room...well you know.
    You can not control that just control your ability to relax.

Hurricane season doesn't end til November 30. You go in season, you get rain. However, it also rains other times of the year....it's the tropics!! The rain doesn't typically last long, so don't worry. You can't change the weather so make the best of it!

I have Ocho Rios on my weather app and it's an ongoing joke between my hubby and I who have been to CTI 3 times: no matter when we look, the forecast is always the same. Stop looking. We have been in the fall three times: first time for seven days, no rain at all. Second time: one whole day completely rained out and bad storms in the evening to the point where some dinners outside were cancelled. Rest of the time completely beautiful. Third time: no rain except for the time we were caught naked with no shelter on the island with a sudden MAJOR RAINSTORM. Lol. Had to laugh. Couldn't go in, couldn't get the clothes wet, just had to shiver and joke. It cleared up fast and we enjoyed the rest of the day.

Any28: What are your dates? Are you there now? Way back in 1996 we went to CTI in January. Had 8 days of pure sunshine. A deal came up for November 1996, around this time, and we had maybe a total of 3 hours of sunshine in 8 days. However, a late season hurricane, Marco, was to blame. Hope you get more sunshine than rain and clouds. Let us all know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy28 View Post
    Well our very first trip ever to Jamaica and to CTI is coming up and it looks like it is going to rain the whole time

We just got home from CN. The day would ALWAYS start out beautiful until 11ish-1ish. Then it would look like/would rain for an hour or so, then the sun would come back out around 3ish-4ish in time for sunset.

Yea I looked at the forecast way tooooo early! I am just nervous as it is our first trip ever to Jamaica... We leave in 3 days! Will be there from Nov 23-30! And if it does decide to rain I am not going to let that stop me from having fun!

Quote Originally Posted by jimpat1 View Post
    Better stay home then.
    Haha!!

Rain in Jamaica is much better than snow in IOWA!

Life is good