Default Electronic gear and cameras?

Hi! Couples First Timers here... Hubby and I are going to CTI for NYE this year (28th-2nd).

Just a few questions about tech gear: Can you fit a 15" laptop into the safe in the room? If not, what about an iPad? We don't need to be connected 24/7, we just want to have the ability to Skype or call our (small) kids at Grammy & Grampa's house...

Also, if you have a big DSLR camera and lenses, etc. do you usually bring it with you to the resort? I'd love to get some great photos, but I also don't want to have to worry about sand and water damage all the time. Do most people bring a small point-and-shoot camera? If you bring your DSLR, do you bring it everywhere with you? Obviously not to the Island, but...

No to the lap top. One way to store your laptop is in locked and secured luggage in your room. There was a recent thread on this issue, if you want input on this from a lot of people. I am not sure, but I think your ipad should fit.

The camera will fit in the safe for sure. We are bringing our DSLR this year, but most people bring a point and shoot. We wanted to do some more serious photography this time, but if you aren't doing that, you might consider just bringing a point and shoot. We are also bringing supplies to keep our camera dry, since it is very humid in Jamaica.

I'm not sure about a laptop as I never bring any of mine, but the ipad should fit fine. I am in the same boat as you with the DSLR, I'd love to bring it to get some really great photos, but on the other hand I don't want to lug it around and worry about sand and whatever else. I just stick with a point and shoot.

We go to CSAa twice a year. I've been to CTI once. We leave iPhones, iPad, laptop, cameras, etc. laying out on the open in our room always. All that goes into the safe is money and jewelry. No worries.

I always take my DSLR and it fits in the safe. I take a point and shoot to the beach. I use the DSLR while walking around the resort and at night.

Don and Deb
    Missouri

IPad, yes laptop, no. Camera, yes, but not sure if all the gear will also go into the safe with your documents, wallets and jewelry. I don't worry about the staff as we have known them for years, but it's still not worth the aggravation to leave the items out. We stayed at another resort and had our cell phone out and plugged in to charge. It was stolen. Apparently, while the room was open for cleaning, someone snuck in and helped themselves.
    Vicky

13 inch laptop fits. Don't think a 15 would.

I left the SLR at home. LUgged it all over europe. Iphone to take pictures.

The in room safe isn't all that big. Maybe about 12" X 12" X 6". Doubtful you would get a laptop in the safe. Maybe one of the smaller iPads. It might hold some of your camera equipment but not a lot of it.

True story. My sister in law came to visit us one year. We went to the beach. She brought her nice shiny brand new camera with her to get some shots on the beach. Oops, she dropped her camera in the sand. That was it. The camera was junk. To have it repaired by a camera shop would have cost more than she paid for the camera.

Bring more than one camera. We bring 2. We have a nicer camera, not as nice as yours, that we use up on the resort. Be buy a couple of cheap disposable waterproof cameras for the beach. I don't spend any time worrying about anything happening to an expensive camera because I would not own one.

You need the high powered lenses because... Maybe to get some close up shots of the Au Natural Island from your room?

Default Suzi's right.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
    We go to CSAa twice a year. I've been to CTI once. We leave iPhones, iPad, laptop, cameras, etc. laying out on the open in our room always. All that goes into the safe is money and jewelry. No worries.
    We leave our iPads charging in the open room every day, phones are left where ever. Never a problem, never heard of a theft. Put your cash and jewelry in the safe along with your passports and don't worry about anything else.

I would never suggest to anyone that they leave anything of value unattended anywhere. Thefts are rare, but they do happen. Why take the chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Jack View Post
    You need the high powered lenses because... Maybe to get some close up shots of the Au Natural Island from your room?
    Zoom is not the main reason or benefit of most people who use DSLR cameras. The quality of the photos that can be produced using a DSLR is far superior to what can be done with a point and shoot. Not to mention all the rooms are over 200 yards from the island, you'd need one heck of a lens...not to mention the tripod.
    Last edited by Kyle; November 21st, 2013 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by db View Post
    We leave our iPads charging in the open room every day, phones are left where ever. Never a problem, never heard of a theft. Put your cash and jewelry in the safe along with your passports and don't worry about anything else.
    That's what we do also. Never had an issue. Even forgot and left out some money once. No problem.

Carol and Dave.

I always bring 2 cameras with me. I use a DSLR and a Fujifilm XP waterproof camera, that comes with a buoyant wrist band. I bought a great camera bag at Costco a couple of years ago for my DSLR that is like a small backpack. its a swiss army brand. I have never had a problem with sand. Use the neck strap, and put it in the bag when not in use.
    The Fujifilm camera is awesome. It does everything is indestructible, and fits in your pocket or bag. I recommend bringing a small 5" tripod, especially for night shots. I Pad is your best bet for communication, and easier to travel with!