Default Off peak vs Peak

Are the activities/ food/ fun the same whether its off peak or peak? I don't mind having the whole place to myself--Yes I'll be a first timer nxt august.

Quote Originally Posted by marionking View Post
    Are the activities/ food/ fun the same whether its off peak or peak? I don't mind having the whole place to myself--Yes I'll be a first timer nxt august.
    where are you going?

They are mostly the same, except for holiday celebrations. For example, the resorts are decorated for Christmas, the Starlight Gala is especially nice for New Years, & they have Rasta Claus giving out gifts to the ladies on Christmas day. Jamaica also has a few dishes/drinks that they only bring out for the holidays, so those aren't available in August. The other difference I can think of is that there is some time (I think April - June but could be wrong) when lobster isn't available but that is due to fishing restrictions not peak/off-peak.

I'm not really that convinced that there is a true "peak" or "off-peak" as designated by the island or the resort. It seems that this is defined more by the airlines and travel industry as to when to charge more. CN and several other Negril resorts are sold out for the current few weeks, and its technically still Atlantic hurricane season. Granted, prices do go up depending on how close to Thanksgiving you travel, but it's still less expensive than February, but a bunch of places are still sold out. There is a large contingent of August, September, and, especially, October travelers too, with resorts selling out, and that's the peak of the off-season. The food and activities are the same all-year round, with the exception of no lobster from Apr 1 - June 30, and the fun depends on what you make of it. I can say with some certainty that the resort will have plenty of other guests, and you are going to have a blast!
    "Brutalize me with music..."

CN: 11/2007, 11/2010, 11/2011, 11/2013

Peak for beach resorts is normally when there is snow on the ground in the USA and Canada. Off peak is when it is warmer in the USA and Canada or it is hurricane/rainy season in Jamaica and the Caribbean.

The thing that I've noticed at many resorts (including Couples) is that construction/repairs are more likely to happen during off-season or non-peak times.

Quote Originally Posted by BRAWD View Post
    where are you going?
    Im deciding between CN and CSS---planning to go August 2014

We like traveling in Oct . Its starting to get cold in the states and traveling in the off season is much cheaper.Just get the insurance in case of bad weather....ie A hurricane.
    CSS OCT 2009
    CSS OCT 2011
    CSS OCT 2014

We have gone in August for the past 2 years and noticed that the resort is barely half full which is a plus side. Down side is that it tends to rain almost daily. We are going in June this year and am hoping for mostly sunny weather

Goofy, that's the rainy season also, you will still get daily showers in the afternoons but brief ones mostly.

We always used to go to Jamaica in January or February, visited in late August early september one year.

Huge difference, no lines at the airport, traffic not as bad in Mobay, had no trouble any day getting our pick of chairs on the beach, no problem eating at any restaurant on any evening. do not have to take any winter gear for the trip home.

but... it is hurricane season.

Peak season is December-March in resort world. Shoulder season is the couple of months before and after peak. Off season is June-September. Please remember that June-November is also hurricane season. This means you will definitely get rain during those months, at a minimum.

We always go April and October, but after two crappy Octobers (one with a breeze from Hurricane Sandy), we are switching our October to December.

You will of course, pay more in peak season, and it'll be a bit more crowded.

My words of wisdom will, I'm sure, be disputed by some... My comments come from 15 years in the resort business, more than half of those years with resorts in the tropics.

Any time you go, you'll fall in love with Jamaica. As they say, once you go, you know. And once you go, you'll go back. The single most popular question asked of people you meet at Couples is "how many times have you been?"

We like to go in the off-season (October or May for us) - it is true that they plan construction at these times, but we have never been affected by construction and the activities are the same.

It's hard to avoid the rainy season as it's very long.

This last October we spent 11 days in Jamaica and it only rained once for only 20 minutes!

October 2012 had hurricane Sandy so it's hit our miss, and there are risks. Always buy insurance during hurricane season.

But the rewards are worth it as we typically save enough money to enjoy at least two more nights!

Book early enough and an off-season trip can include several more nights at the same price.

I think peak season starts the end of December, right after Christmas. We will be 3-peaters at CSA come this December and back when the rate calendar was available (I'm really sad this feature is no longer available), the rates did not show an increase until 12/26. We usually travel so we can be back home by 12/23 and hopefully avoid airport craziness for the holidays and so that we don't incur the peak rates. We spoke with a couple that has been going to Couples for years and years and spend 3 weeks every time they go in December and they told us they likewise check out on 12/26 to avoid the peak rate increase. Without the rate calendar, now it's not as easy to figure out if the rates go up between October and December but you can still get good deals up until the week of Christmas or at least we have been able to for the last 3 years. I've likewise done this for cruises and trips to Mexico and we don't see the rates skyrocket until right before or after Christmas.

We have been to CSS once in January, once in February and twice in June. Definitely much more crowded in January and February. We did experience more rain in June than in the peak months. In fact, the beach party had to move inside due to rain during our February trip. We return this year and for the first time we are going in August. For us, it has less to due with peak season or hurricane season, and everything to do with "kid's activities" season! We hope we have finally found the best month based on the social/school/extracurricular activities schedule of the four kiddos.

Please, Couples, return the rate change calendar!! We book our trips according to that calendar! Or at least post a chart of the dates the rates do change so we can check it. Thanks!! Fourteen weeks to CTI/CSS!!

the past two years in August and September, not (1) drop of rain during the entire visit.

Default Rate change calendar

Quote Originally Posted by randijean46 View Post
    Please, Couples, return the rate change calendar!! We book our trips according to that calendar! Or at least post a chart of the dates the rates do change so we can check it. Thanks!! Fourteen weeks to CTI/CSS!!
    Totally agree!!! Really missed this when they went to the new website.
    Last edited by kurt and Angie; January 10th, 2014 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kurt and Angie View Post
    Totally agree!!! Really missed this when they went to the new website.
    We just came back from a split stay from CN on 12/14 to CSA leaving on 12/23. The rate when we booked it went up on Christmas Day. So Christmas Eve was the least expensive and Christmas Day was quite a substantial difference. We went to CTI in May, beautiful. Worried about Decemebr, but each day was perfect, 9 days in a row. BTW, what do they need weathermen for? To say, bright and sunny all day!! The things I noticed about the December visit :
    1. Poinsettias galore! beautiful ambiance. Gingerbread houses too!
    2. Sorrel juice by the orange juice for breakfast. I had never had it before, but it is a juice served at the holiday tme in the Caribbean.
    3. No problems with reservations at restaurants or cat cruise, watersports activities, chairs, shade.
    4. Getting off plane at 2pm on a Saturday, took about 20 minutes from getting off plane to riding in the van.
    5. Lobster!

I would go in a heartbeat again just before Christmas, except I worry about the flight from New England. We made it out a day before the storms, and returned after it was al done, escaping any issues with flight delays. That would be such a disappointing issue to deal with after such a looooooooong countdown!

We have been to non Couples resort end of Dec. over New Years as well as at CTI over New Years (left between Xmas an NY). When we got there they were doing a bit of minor maintenance (painting), but basically everything was decorated and ready for peak volumes. It was busy, in that it was harder to get a reservation unless you planned ahead, but we managed just fine. The NYE party was awesome! We did have some cool weather from a cold front up North, but it got nicer.
    We then went to CSS right after and things slowed down a bit as they packed the Christmas trees and decoration up. The vibe was slower. The weather was great - sunny and dry. We also went to CSA in early Jan. and found it not overly busy, although not off season slow by any means. The weather was great.
    This year we went to CN in early Dec. leaving Dec. 16. It didn't feel like slow season, but not in high gear. In fact, a couple days before we left they started ramping up for the holidays. Not only did they set up tress, lights and decorations, but they seemed to be doing a lot more cleaning (like baseboards in the halls of our buildings) and general prepping. Apparently they were improving the Wifi as well as installing new door locks.
    We prefer the early Jan. time frame for the weather and the fact we can be there for our anniversary, but early Dec. is so much cheaper, we may opt for that more often. It is nice to avoid the holiday craziness at the airports, but it is a festive time to be there. I can't imagine we'll ever go over the summer when it's so nice at home and can be rainy or risk of hurricanes in Jamaica.

It's really so unpredictable! In 2013 we had more rain in April than in October! In fact, on our wedding day 4/20, ours was the only wedding to NOT get rained out (from what I understand) out of the 5 that day!

Go when you want, and enjoy! If it rains, great time for a nap!