Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Amen
    Linda & Nick
    CSA - Oct 2004 (for our wedding!!!)
    CN - March 2006, Nov 2013
    CSS - March 2013

Suzi's right again, this isn't NY, enjoy Jamaica for what it is - beautiful, slow and happy.

A lot of you seem to be missing the point.
    If you read rhallva's post again, I think it rings true.

Respect.

Suggestion to CSA travellers...if you don't do anything else, please take a walk down the beach and stop at Tony's Hut for the coldest Red Stripe in the bottle on the island and play some dominos or Connect 4 with Grace. She is one of the nicest people you could ever meet.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
    Curious if others feel the same as I do. We go to CSA twice a year, so it's our home away from home.

It baffles me when I see people ask about pizza, fried chicken, hamburgers, Red Bull, PBR or other American beer, and so on!

You're going to a foreign country! Try a Red Stripe! A meat patty! Jerk chicken! Take a few extra steps off resort property and see more of this beautiful island. Talk to the local people! Do you know the man's name you buy the beaded bracelets from? It's Jimmy, and he tells some great stories (and loves a glass of fresh juice). It's a wonderful culture, with amazing food to offer. Ask some of the locals (staff or off property) why they're happy all the time!

Experience as much of Jamaica as possible. Your pizza and hot dogs will still be at the mall she younger back home!
    Quote Originally Posted by rhallva View Post
    I have been traveling in Jamaica since the late 1980's. I try to immerse myself in Jamaican food, culture, daily life, and music as much as I can whenever I am in Jamaica. In over thirty trips to Jamaica I have seen nearly every part of the island and learned to love so many things about Jamaica and the Jamaican people that you simply cannot see or appreciate while at any resort without heading out to see the island and meet the people.
    However..... I will say that what baffles me is different from the original poster... What baffles me is why people on these boards try to tell other people how they should enjoy their hard earned vacations. How some try to tell others they are somehow vacationing wrong. If you save all year and go to Couples... eat what you want, drink what you want and enjoy your vacation the way you want. We are all different and we all look for different things to help us enjoy ourselves and relax during our hard-earned vacations. Enjoy your vacation the way you best enjoy your vacation! You earned it, and you deserve it! Just because someone enjoys their visit to Jamaica differently does not mean they are doing it wrong. It's their vacation!
    Respect and good travels!
    Roy
    I'm with rhallva on this one. While I agree with Suzi that the way others spend their vacation can be "baffling", it isn't really fair to judge them. For some, Couples is about reconnecting with their loved ones with one-on-one time. For others, Couples is about making new friends and meeting up on future visits. For some, Couples is about taking advantage of all the inclusions. For others, Couples is about vegging out on the beach all day. And so on.

So, believe it or not, some people love Couples but are not really interested in immersing themselves into the Jamaican culture. Some people do not follow the "when in Rome..." philosophy and shouldn't be chastised for it and banished by the Couples message board police to only U.S. vacation destinations.

The one Jamaican cultural characteristic that we vacationers should all agree on is respect mon.

WOW! I hate to even comment but I just can't resist...

For all of you who go to Jamaica to people watch, can't you do that at your local mall at home?? You really care what others eat??

I for one, love jerk but I don't want to eat it everyday. I ate pizza at Couples for the first time in 7 trips this past October. We were at CTI and I'll admit the pizza at lunch was awesome.

To each his own, worry less and be less critical about what others are doing and enjoy your own vacation.

I love ackee and salt fish and drool over oxtail but one of the things I look forward to is a chesse burger in paridise. I may be able to get them at home but I sure can't get them with the view I get at Couples. Just another reason to love Couples, something for everyone. Vacation the way you want and we 'll vacation the way we want, respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    No I don't feel like you do. Let others be and don't try to force your ideas on others!
    Really Wally? That's your reply to this thread?

I have never understood the obsession with a particular brand of beer, bourbon, vodka or whatever that may not be available at Couples. One of the most beautiful places on earth and folks are basing their opinion on booze, pizza or burgers. Even ketchup has come up as a sore point for crying out loud.

I just don't get some people.
    See you at the beach!
    dirtleg & sandyfoot

Butterfly, I have stomach issues as well, so I eat the jerk on property but don't accompany Ricky to Ossies as hers it too hot for me. I may throw in a hot dog for variety once while there. Thank goodness the menus are so varied that everyone should be happy and well-fed!

We agree that visitors should at least try to experience the food, culture, etc. of the place they're visiting. If they then find they don't like something, e.g. the food's too spicy, they can stick to hot dogs, burgers, etc.

Our frustration is when people decide they don't like something before they've even tried it. It's also annoying when guests have the expectation that everything they find in their home country will be provided for them on vacation and then complain if it isn't.

I too agree. DUH - Isn't that the purpose of leaving the USA - Experience different cultures and customs. It's too bad the staff can't be sarcastic when asked dumb questions like 'Do you have Red Bull?' Response - No but there is one down the road you can go look at! 'Do you have hot dogs?' Response - Yes there are many on the island but they try and find shade to cool off!

Quote Originally Posted by Beach-bum View Post
    I hear ya sister. Go to Jamaica for the reggae, Red Stripe, and the quiet "ya-mons". I can stay in Iowa for pizza.....and snow.

Life is good
    My thoughts exactly, i loved trying all the different foods. My biggest disappointment was not being able to try es cargot or goat when we were there. What part of iowa are you from? The wife and I are from north central, about 90 minutes north of des moines. We have about a half inch of snow and ice on the ground right now.

My "complaint" for lack of a better term wouldn't be that I can't get a pizza/burger etc but more that it's on the menu but it tastes nothing like what I would have expected it to taste like. The seasoning on some things just isn't recognizable to an American palate, and if you're ordering a burger or a pizza it's because you want something safe and recognizable. I would actually be less irked (and I'm not exactly that either) if they just went straight up Jamaican cuisine and didn't have the Americanized stuff. I would just say that if you're going to offer Americanized food it needs to be more recognizable as American.

That was just my observation having a sensitive pregnancy appetite and seeing that burgers and pizza were available and then trying them and having them not taste American, particularly with the spice on the burgers. This was at CSS and other resorts may vary, of course. I found other things that worked perfectly well, but I still think it is legitimate to expect that if you order an American dish that it is going to taste American. Otherwise there will be the "expectation vs reality" conflict.

And yes, I went to Couples to be able to spend time with my husband in a beautiful environment without having to worry about anything. Couples offered me the best place to do that and we enjoyed ourselves immensely but I was there for my husband first and foremost. I wasn't there for Jamaica per se, as much as I am grateful for the hospitality of everyone there.

My "complaint" for lack of a better term wouldn't be that I can't get a pizza/burger etc but more that it's on the menu but it tastes nothing like what I would have expected it to taste like. The seasoning on some things just isn't recognizable to an American palate, and if you're ordering a burger or a pizza it's because you want something safe and recognizable.

As you travel more, you will find that one of the great joys of eating in a foreign country is to see how they make an "Americanized" dish. Not that I eat them on any kind of a regular or irregular basis, but I've had a Big Mac in five or six different places in the world that tasted amazing, so much better than your local McD's. Now, that's a bit extreme, but bringing this back to burgers and pizza, I've eaten both in other countries that were lightyears more tasty and interesting than any you can find in the US. As others have posted below, you're not in America, don't expect things to be like home - they won't.

By the way, I've eaten the pizza at both CSS and CSA, and found it to be adequate; not worth the calories. However, the hamburgers at CSA with just a bit of jerk seasoning are tasty enough to convert a vegetarian.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

My problem with this is that some of us Americans expect to get the same creature comforts of home when we travel abroad, and I find that extremely tacky and only re-enforces the negative stereotypes that are unfortunately attached to traveling Americans. If you require burgers and pizza along with warm weather and palm trees than visit Florida. . Instead of a slice of pizza, try a patty. Instead of a burger, try some jerk pork. Can't you go a week without your Miller Lite or Bud Lite? I don't drink Red Stripe at home, but it sure is tasty on the Island. Step outside of your comfort zone, experience something new and try something different. You only live once.

This is just my opinion and I'm not "telling" people how to vacation...you do what you want with your money....

Suzi, While I agree with you, you might say the same thing about going to the same place every year!

Why not try different islands and countries?

So in a sense its kind of hypocritical to call people out for not trying new things when your not really either!!!

I've been to Jamaica 4 times spanning 20 years but have also vacationed in 21 other countries. Your missing a lot yourself!
    Its not like your really experiencing Jamaican culture by visiting an all inclusive that excludes all but those walking the beach to sell you things. Your asking why they so happy? You think "Jimmy " would sell many beads if he told you how his family suffers? Or struggles like so many of his country do?

Not trying to lay the guilt trip on, but really lets put things into perspective. Tourism is the biggest industry on the island.

To that, why call out others for being comfortable with what they know? If people want to eat the same crap they do back home because they have a good time, its the same as you going "back home" twice a year.
    Last edited by Bargamon; November 25th, 2013 at 06:57 AM.

I imagine that the Dept of Tourism will be happy to accept any visitor and their hard earned dollars to support their country. I imagine that they appreciate all tourists, regardless of how they eat, tour or vacation.

I am not a brave eater, I love the food I am comfortable with and to experience a slice of pizza on a beautiful island is heaven. My favorite part of vacation is getting to know others, not just the locals but everyone. I t makes me sad that you think it's the American who is trying to American-ize Jamaica (and Couples) when this location attracts people from all over the world.

I love to see people happy, regardless of what they are eating or doing.

I loved the food on our other Jamaica trips! So many different flavors that my "vanilla" hubby would never try here in the states! I have to admit I'm not a fan of Red Stripe or Red Stripe Light- I'm a Miller Lite girl at heart. One or two tropical drinks during the day and thank God for the martini bar at night!!

Quote Originally Posted by sweetnessinthesand View Post
    My thoughts exactly, i loved trying all the different foods. My biggest disappointment was not being able to try es cargot or goat when we were there. What part of iowa are you from? The wife and I are from north central, about 90 minutes north of des moines. We have about a half inch of snow and ice on the ground right now.
    Just North of the Cedar Falls/Waterloo area. Snowing here today and we are and missing Jamaica. Iowa is well represented at Couples. It will be our eighth trip in March.

Life is good

Ha ha. I was going to say that they don't have pizza with jerk sausage where I live. :-) I love Jamaican food and eat as much of it as I can while there. But seriously, if you do find yourself at Couples with a sensitive stomach for whatever reason I have a couple of suggestions: 1) get a jelly (fresh coconut) from sea grapes (or the veggie restaurant at the other resorts)-coconut water really helps the stomach; 2) Go to the fitness center bar or smoothie bar and tell the bartender what ails you--they will hook you up with a soothing local remedy (non-alcoholic), 3) soups-awesome and soothing at all of the resorts, especially the pumpkin soup; 4) at the beach grill--grilled cheese with double cheese.

You can't fault a person's taste.

Just been reading this thread and had to smile at "but I still think it is legitimate to expect that if you order an American dish that it is going to taste American. Otherwise there will be the "expectation vs reality" conflict." I was under the impression that the pizza was an Italian dish and burgers originated in Germany as the first ones were called Hamburgers and its just that America has taken a liking to them in a very big way but as someone who is not an American to me a pizza is Italian and wherever I have been in the world (and I have travelled a fair bit to all four corners) all burgers taste different as they all have different ingredients. I could say the same about one of England's most famous dishes "Fish and Chips" (Fries in America) but it was the Portuguese who invented fried fish and if historians are to believed it was the Belgiums that invented fries just before the French even though they are known worldwide as French Fries. I should add though that the English chip is a lot thicker and you taste more of the potato than in a very thin French fry and I was actually disappointed when I ate was what advertised as 'Real Fish and Chips' at the Epcot Centre in Florida as they did not taste like the ones my local fish and chip shop sells but who cares as I was on holiday and like to taste the local cuisines and even sometimes their interpretation of a dish from another part of the world. The same can be said about beer, due to the way they are brewed and due to local legal restrictions the taste of say American beers like Harp, Coors, Bud etc tastes different in America to what they do in the UK and even Red Stripe here tastes different than in Jamaica but I wouldn't dream of telling Randyman his beer tastes strange and it should be more English

When people put pinapple and ham on a pizza all bets are off!!!

I've got a lot of digestive issues as well, Butterfly. I find the jerk on-property to be more "Americanized"... Toned down. I can't eat it off property but can at the resort. I love the chicken patties.

My husband lives for the ackee and salt fish.. To me it looks like nasty scrambled eggs, but I tried it lol!

Please folks!! Walk past the curried goat...more for me!! Dang... Making myself hungry! 4.5 months til our next trip!

Quote Originally Posted by FerChitsNGiggles View Post
    I agree totally. You came to visit the Jamaican island I would assume to see how their culture is. It's their country, quit trying to Americanized it. If you can't accept their food or way of life, then don't go.
    Not everyone goes to see how their culture is. A lot of people go for a vacation. And to be honest (having lived overseas), what most people see as the Jamaican culture from their trip would be like going to Disneyland and assuming that was the American culture. You've got one glance of it. Their culture is much larger than what you've seen.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast