Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 76
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
    It baffles me when I see people ask about pizza, fried chicken, hamburgers, Red Bull, PBR or other American beer, and so on!
    Really? A PBR??? Does anyone even drink that any more? And who would buy that anywhere????
    Last edited by gonegril; November 29th, 2013 at 01:52 AM.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    728

    Default

    You can still get PBR's look it up. http://pabstbrewingco.com/

  3. #53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
    Just been reading this thread and had to smile at "but I still think it is legitimate to expect that if you order an American dish that it is going to taste American. Otherwise there will be the "expectation vs reality" conflict." I was under the impression that the pizza was an Italian dish and burgers originated in Germany as the first ones were called Hamburgers and its just that America has taken a liking to them in a very big way but as someone who is not an American to me a pizza is Italian and wherever I have been in the world (and I have travelled a fair bit to all four corners) all burgers taste different as they all have different ingredients. I could say the same about one of England's most famous dishes "Fish and Chips" (Fries in America) but it was the Portuguese who invented fried fish and if historians are to believed it was the Belgiums that invented fries just before the French even though they are known worldwide as French Fries. I should add though that the English chip is a lot thicker and you taste more of the potato than in a very thin French fry and I was actually disappointed when I ate was what advertised as 'Real Fish and Chips' at the Epcot Centre in Florida as they did not taste like the ones my local fish and chip shop sells but who cares as I was on holiday and like to taste the local cuisines and even sometimes their interpretation of a dish from another part of the world. The same can be said about beer, due to the way they are brewed and due to local legal restrictions the taste of say American beers like Harp, Coors, Bud etc tastes different in America to what they do in the UK and even Red Stripe here tastes different than in Jamaica but I wouldn't dream of telling Randyman his beer tastes strange and it should be more English
    My wife and I were reading this thread, and had the same thought as you, Falcon. If people are worried about "American" dishes not tasting American enough overseas, they better start at home, and let all the Taco Bell's Olive Garden's, Outback Steakhouse's and the numerous Chinese buffet's know that they aren't serving "real" ethnic dishes... I know I for one, have ran into many Hispanic people who, when craving a good "taste of home" meal run right over to Taco Bell and order a number 7...

    And really? The jerk food on resort is toned down? I thought it was pretty dang spicy... Makes me scared to go off resort and try some!! But of course, if I have an opportunity to, I still will indulge.

  4. #54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cae1965mustang View Post
    I too agree. DUH - Isn't that the purpose of leaving the USA - Experience different cultures and customs. It's too bad the staff can't be sarcastic when asked dumb questions like 'Do you have Red Bull?' Response - No but there is one down the road you can go look at! 'Do you have hot dogs?' Response - Yes there are many on the island but they try and find shade to cool off!
    That would be soo funny
    Ere De Fun Don Done
    Grand Lido Sans Souci Feb. 2002, Couples Negril Feb. 2010,
    Couples Negril,Feb. 2011, Couples Negril Jan. 2012,
    Cool Runnings eh!

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearso View Post
    You can still get PBR's look it up. http://pabstbrewingco.com/
    Wow Bearso - thanks for helping me to flash back to my college years….Yikes!!!

  6. #56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gonegril View Post
    Wow Bearso - thanks for helping me to flash back to my college years….Yikes!!!
    PBR is a hipster thing - very big among the mid-late 20s crowd.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Bargamon, we go to CSA twice a year. We also go to other countries, cities in the USA, etc. it's two of many trips we take. YOURE sweet to suggest what we already do. .

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mark527 View Post
    That would be soo funny
    Mark, I work in retail as a Kitchen Designer for the Home Depot. It's always been my desire to say what I'm truly thinking, ie: " do you work here?" My reply, " no, I just love orange so I stole this sexy apron"

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rhallva View Post
    However..... I will say that what baffles me is different from the original poster... What baffles me is why people on these boards try to tell other people how they should enjoy their hard earned vacations. How some try to tell others they are somehow vacationing wrong. If you save all year and go to Couples... eat what you want, drink what you want and enjoy your vacation the way you want. We are all different and we all look for different things to help us enjoy ourselves and relax during our hard-earned vacations. Enjoy your vacation the way you best enjoy your vacation! You earned it, and you deserve it! Just because someone enjoys their visit to Jamaica differently does not mean they are doing it wrong. It's their vacation!
    Respect and good travels!
    Roy
    Very well said!

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pauvrelapin View Post
    PBR is a hipster thing - very big among the mid-late 20s crowd.
    So true. It's on tap at nearly every college town bar, as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by gonegril View Post
    Really? A PBR??? Does anyone even drink that any more? And who would buy that anywhere????
    I drink it. It's cheap and beats the pants off domestic lights.

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
    Bargamon, we go to CSA twice a year. We also go to other countries, cities in the USA, etc. it's two of many trips we take. YOURE sweet to suggest what we already do. .
    Of course you have!

  12. #62

    Default

    I think folks should remember that not everyone can eat Jamaican cruisine due to medical issues...If the food police folks see me eating a burger or a pizza during my week there, give me a break.....I have diverticultis and no gall bladder. I refuse to be sick just to appease the food police. I can see it now while eating my burger < Look honey, those folks over there are giving me the evil eye>...And people make assumptions as well...Do you know for a fact the pizza or burger person has not tried Jamaican food while at Couples? Maybe they ate Jamaican 6 days out 7 days Judgement is made that they are not doing the "When in Jamaica, do as Jamaicans do"...

    Then we have the dress police crowd. I get it some folks want to dress up for dinner every night. I get that some folks only want to dress up a few nights with the remaining nights going casual. Now, I do agree that folks should leave their wife beater shirts and their bear skin caps at home and take off their hats at every meal. But we chose Couples over S because we didn't want to dress up every night- I have to dress up every day for work and I want a break from all of that when I am on vacation. Just so you can relieve your anxiety hubby will be dressed in polo shirt and not a T-shirt on casual dress days.....

    Then you have the don't smoke, leave your cigarettes home police folks. Smoking is allowed in certain areas and banned in other areas- respect is a two way street when it comes to smoking and non smoking. I don't normally smoke except when on vacation I may get the urge to indulge- and when and if I do indulge, I am respectful...of my surroundings.

    Just getting the impression that folks are way to concerned what others are doing, wearing....and it really feels like I will be coming to a high school then a vacation resort.....Leave the assumptions and judgement's at home and enjoy your special other person in your life while in Jamaica.....

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gonegril View Post
    Really? A PBR??? Does anyone even drink that any more? And who would buy that anywhere????
    Hey.. C'mon now. It won a BLUE RIBBON! Granted it was about 150 yrs ago, but still. LOL

    Also, hipsters do drink it, but they are doing so "ironically".

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    345

    Default

    I don't see what all the fuss is all about! If all of you out there would just dress like me, and eat what I eat, there wouldn't be a problem! But no... you all have to be different, I just don't get it!!!!

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    35

    Default

    I just want to jump in here. Somehow the people that didn't agree with the OP think that those of us that DO agree are somehow "policing" their choices. I think that this was merely an opinion question. Much like the thread on T-shirts being nice enough for dinner. If I say that I'm uncomfortable in a T-shirt at dinner - that in NO way implies that I will be disgusted by someone else wearing one. Why is everyone getting so up in arms over a simple opinion question???? It DOES baffle me when people don't want to enjoy the local culture more, but I don't give a sh#$ what you do - it's YOUR vacation. Does that then give you the right to then bash me for feeling differently?! Because I don't think that anyone here said "You are vacationing wrong. You must change." Is everyone just THAT narcissistic that they think that if someone has a differing opinion that they are implying "I'm right and you're wrong?" I think I may take a break from this board. It exhausts me rather than making me miss Jamaica...

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,278

    Default

    I just saw this post. I think this post is as silly as the one where people complained about the men wearing baseball caps in the restaurants. Not only were some of them complaining that "management" should do something, but they said it was spoiling their time at the resort.

    Listen folks. If I see some person with a hat on in the restaurant, eating a hamburg and fries, does that really have any affect on my enjoyment? How can that possibly matter to anyone, what someone else is wearing or eating? Should we then start commenting on how that outfit looked on her? Did you see that bathing suit, what there is of it? Hmmpf!

    People from all over the world travel, all over the world. If someone wants to have a pizza and a beer, so what? That's their choice. Other people make other choices. That's what life is all about. We always have a choice. If someone doesn't make the same choice as you, that's okay.

  17. #67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BarDar View Post
    I don't see what all the fuss is all about! If all of you out there would just dress like me, and eat what I eat, there wouldn't be a problem! But no... you all have to be different, I just don't get it!!!!
    <high five> I'll share a PBR with you

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    325

    Default

    One American thing I wish would stay in the states is the Rap music you hear in the nightclubs and from the beach bars. Jamaican music is much preferable.

  19. #69

    Default

    Been reading this thread and it's quite entertaining

    The topic has diverged many times but I'll start with this - food is such a personal thing to every person for so many reasons that wondering why someone isn't adventurous is a bit of a waste of time...

    Some people can literally only eat soup & bread before nature turns their bowels into rotting sess pools of gas! Let's assume they are doing us favors by sticking to their comfort foods...

    As for us - my wife is a vegetarian - Couples routinely surprises her on every trip with new dishes & things to try while I spend most of my time stuffing down as much steak and seafood that I can muster! We go in lobster season for a reason! And for my tastes, they could make the jerk chicken way hotter! Let the weaklings fall back to pizza & burgers!

    As for the original topic - experience as much Jamaican culture as possible while at Couples - this one I have mixed feelings about.

    We spend a lot of time at the resort getting to know the people that work there on a personal level - I can spend hours sitting by the fountain at CTI talking to Byron about life in Jamaica, his family etc. - known him for many years now and consider him a friend.

    But that's not even close to what I would consider experiencing true Jamaican Culture. To do that, you would really need to get off-resort.

    And so this is where I have mixed feelings on this topic - when I stay at Couples - I literally do not want to leave.

    On every trip we talk about going off resort but then we dig into the details and realize most of the things we want to do require almost an entire day - so we always get lazy and never end up leaving the resort. (Keep in mind we stay at CTI & CSS so walking off the resort down the beach isn't an option - we have done that at CN)

    With this in mind, on our last trip we started talking about the idea of a future stay in Jamaica lasting a month - where we would rent a villa of some type and spend several weeks living in a local village - from there we would explore the mountains, kayak rivers, go to local public beaches, eat/cook local food and attend a festival etc. in order to truly immerse ourselves..

    Of course, we would end our Jamaican immersion back at Couples - :P

  20. #70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meganfritz View Post
    I just want to jump in here. Somehow the people that didn't agree with the OP think that those of us that DO agree are somehow "policing" their choices. I think that this was merely an opinion question. Much like the thread on T-shirts being nice enough for dinner. If I say that I'm uncomfortable in a T-shirt at dinner - that in NO way implies that I will be disgusted by someone else wearing one. Why is everyone getting so up in arms over a simple opinion question???? It DOES baffle me when people don't want to enjoy the local culture more, but I don't give a sh#$ what you do - it's YOUR vacation. Does that then give you the right to then bash me for feeling differently?! Because I don't think that anyone here said "You are vacationing wrong. You must change." Is everyone just THAT narcissistic that they think that if someone has a differing opinion that they are implying "I'm right and you're wrong?" I think I may take a break from this board. It exhausts me rather than making me miss Jamaica...
    meganfritz, I don't necessarily think that those that disagree are necessarily bashing the OP, but are just responding with their own "dissenting opinions".

    I do think that sometimes people open themselves up for bashing when they make statements implying that those who do not enjoy their vacation the same way they do should "just stay in the U.S." or "go to another resort" or "show more class". Them's fighting words!
    Last edited by jamaican_junkie; December 8th, 2013 at 11:46 AM.

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BarDar View Post
    I don't see what all the fuss is all about! If all of you out there would just dress like me, and eat what I eat, there wouldn't be a problem! But no... you all have to be different, I just don't get it!!!!
    Hilarious, BarDar!!

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamaican_junkie View Post
    meganfritz, I don't necessarily think that those that disagree are necessarily bashing the OP, but are just responding with their own "dissenting opinions".

    I do think that sometimes people open themselves up for bashing when they make statements implying that those who do not enjoy their vacation they same way they do should "just stay in the U.S." or "go to another resort" or "show more class". Them's fighting words!
    Lol, Junkie! And therein lies the beauty of a blog or message board! Everyone is allowed to express their own opinions, and to criticize those of others!! I just read a food thread and my mouth is watering for a pattie! I think we are under four months til my next one, though!

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crabracer View Post
    I just saw this post. I think this post is as silly as the one where people complained about the men wearing baseball caps in the restaurants. Not only were some of them complaining that "management" should do something, but they said it was spoiling their time at the resort.

    Listen folks. If I see some person with a hat on in the restaurant, eating a hamburg and fries, does that really have any affect on my enjoyment? How can that possibly matter to anyone, what someone else is wearing or eating? Should we then start commenting on how that outfit looked on her? Did you see that bathing suit, what there is of it? Hmmpf!

    People from all over the world travel, all over the world. If someone wants to have a pizza and a beer, so what? That's their choice. Other people make other choices. That's what life is all about. We always have a choice. If someone doesn't make the same choice as you, that's okay.
    Crabracer great post, the way I see it we all have a choice we make, whether on vacation or at home, food we eat, drinks we drink and or clothes we wear are our decision. It it affects your vacation then it's time to look in the mirror. It's just like this forum, freedom of expression and our decision to post or not, agree or disagree. The only concern I have on vacation at Couples is if the green flag service is working or if I MUST get up to get my drink from the beach bar! My Dad once said Judgement is an ugly mistress, but opinions are the beauty queens. It rings true with me to this day.

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Tanga stick I agree! I get all nice and comfy... Then have to walk wayyyyy down to the bar if there's no even flag!!

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    976

    Default

    Crabracer, great post. Some people would not be happy if you gave them a million dollars in new dollar bills.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •