Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default When In Jamaica....

Curious if others feel the same as I do. We go to CSA twice a year, so it's our home away from home.

It baffles me when I see people ask about pizza, fried chicken, hamburgers, Red Bull, PBR or other American beer, and so on!

You're going to a foreign country! Try a Red Stripe! A meat patty! Jerk chicken! Take a few extra steps off resort property and see more of this beautiful island. Talk to the local people! Do you know the man's name you buy the beaded bracelets from? It's Jimmy, and he tells some great stories (and loves a glass of fresh juice). It's a wonderful culture, with amazing food to offer. Ask some of the locals (staff or off property) why they're happy all the time!

Experience as much of Jamaica as possible. Your pizza and hot dogs will still be at the mall she younger back home!

Exactly.take in the culture,Dont try to Americanize it.we bring home more knowledge in one week than we could ever gain at home.

So well said Suzi! One of the best ways to experience a country's culture is to try the local food! Jamaican food is such a wonderful blend of British, African, Spanish, Chinese, Indian, Lebanese, Syrian (just to name a few!) influences that it can't hep but be delicious! Also, the "Meet the People" programme offered by the Jamaica Tourist Board is so worth it! You get to meet Jamaican families with similar interest as yourself (Tourist board approved) and you'll find there are more things in common than there are differences. Also, many airlines such as Westjetthst are now offering hotel stays in Kingston where there is so much to see and do. The Botanical gardens and Zoo, The Bob Marley Museum, The National Art Gallery, Emancipation Park, Port Royal (think Pirates of the Caribbean!), Cafe Blue in Irish Town in the foothills of the Blue Mountains - a coffee shop serving Blue Mountain coffee and desserts, pastries etc with a magnificent view of the city below....I could go on and on. Kingston is not the frightening place you may think. If you use the same common sense you should use when visiting any new city, and take the advice of the tourist board, you will find a vibrant, wonderful side to the island. We have done this on several trips to Couples and would not have missed this for the world. Would be happy to answer any questions from interested Couples

I SO AGREE - We notice the same thing & wonder WHY didn't these people just vacation in the states???? We don't always like it but we'll try the food that's different from the norm we know .... We can eat pizza & burgers at home any day. We have met so many unique people & learned so many things by just being friendly & asking questions ..... Jamaica is more than a resort or a beautiful beach ..... It's the people too!!!!!
    Julie

I have been traveling in Jamaica since the late 1980's. I try to immerse myself in Jamaican food, culture, daily life, and music as much as I can whenever I am in Jamaica. In over thirty trips to Jamaica I have seen nearly every part of the island and learned to love so many things about Jamaica and the Jamaican people that you simply cannot see or appreciate while at any resort without heading out to see the island and meet the people.
    However..... I will say that what baffles me is different from the original poster... What baffles me is why people on these boards try to tell other people how they should enjoy their hard earned vacations. How some try to tell others they are somehow vacationing wrong. If you save all year and go to Couples... eat what you want, drink what you want and enjoy your vacation the way you want. We are all different and we all look for different things to help us enjoy ourselves and relax during our hard-earned vacations. Enjoy your vacation the way you best enjoy your vacation! You earned it, and you deserve it! Just because someone enjoys their visit to Jamaica differently does not mean they are doing it wrong. It's their vacation!
    Respect and good travels!
    Roy

Wish there was a like button. I would press it repeatedly for this post.

I agree 100%. There's nothing wrong with being picky about food, but it seems like a missed opportunity to just not be willing to even try small bites of more "exotic" foods and Jamaican specialties. You never know which unfamiliar foods might become new favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
    It baffles me when I see people ask about pizza, fried chicken, hamburgers, Red Bull, PBR or other American beer, and so on!

Experience as much of Jamaica as possible. Your pizza and hot dogs will still be at the mall she younger back home!
    I hear ya sister. Go to Jamaica for the reggae, Red Stripe, and the quiet "ya-mons". I can stay in Iowa for pizza.....and snow.

Life is good

couldn't agree more. Enjoy, soon come,13 sleeps.

Thank you Suzi, so well said. I feel the same way. Been off resort a couple of times and hope to go someplace again this year. Love talking to the locals, and just as you said, I can't wait for some of those patties. I've been looking everywhere here for them and can't find them.
    Karin

Everyone vacations differently. Some people want to just escape and part of that is to have the things they know they like. And I'm sorry, but a hot dog in Jamaica is nothing like a hot dog back in the states. We were just at CSA and everyone in our group tried different Jamaican cuisine, got to know some of the staff, and really embraced the Jamaican and CSA experience.....some of them also drank miller lite and had a hamburger while at the resort.

To each there own. Everyone paid to go to CSA, so who cares wha they do with their vacation. As long as they aren't disturbing others they should be able to vacation the way they want. Love CSA and love Jamaica!

Suzi you are absolutely correct. We have seen every part of the country except Bamboo Alley. Jamaica is so rich in its' own culture that things like pizza and Red Bull are insignificant.The thing that we like the most about Jamaica are the people. While it is true that Couples is a major attraction I can honestly say that our 78 trips to CTI was for more than just the resort. Jamaican people are by far the nicest people that we have ever met. I can also honestly say that I have never tasted Red Bull.

I agree totally. You came to visit the Jamaican island I would assume to see how their culture is. It's their country, quit trying to Americanized it. If you can't accept their food or way of life, then don't go.
    CTI- December 2010
    CN- December 2013

No I don't feel like you do. Let others be and don't try to force your ideas on others!
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

I feel like you. I can have a Miller Beer or Pizza anytime I like. Whenever I leave the country, I like to try the local cuisine. Most times, we eat at the Patio Restaurant. We will take a little bit of everything then come back for the items we really like. The food at Tower Isle is amazing if you give it a chance.

I usually will not drink much beer when I am in Jamaica. The bars specialize in so many tropical themed drinks.

So much to do in Jamaica.

Get to know Ringman (Ring Ring Jamaica calling) great young man. Real name is Maurice goes by Jason for some crazy reason. The jerk chicken is great, the meat and chicken patties at the cabana grill are good, the staff love to get to know you. Embrace the relaxed feeling all around. I totally agree with Suzi, walk down the beach, if you are offered things that are not to your liking just say no thanks and move along. Meet and talk to the jewelry lady AMamma on the beach she is a riot. Red Stripe Light will replace your Coors Lights for a week or so trust me.

Curious if others feel the same as I do. We go to CSA twice a year, so it's our home away from home.

You're going to a foreign country! Try a Red Stripe! A meat patty! Jerk chicken! Take a few extra steps off resort property and see more of this beautiful island. Talk to the local people! Do you know the man's name you buy the beaded bracelets from? It's Jimmy, and he tells some great stories (and loves a glass of fresh juice). It's a wonderful culture, with amazing food to offer. Ask some of the locals (staff or off property) why they're happy all the time!

I feel the same way, lol. Although I think some are a) just very finicky eaters, or b) they are growing impatient with their countdown so they throw out random questions like "Do they have Red Bull" on the message board.

AMEN! I couldn't agree more. We have found that when you go somewhere new, you have to put your great expectations aside and enjoy what you get. NEVER eat what you like to eat at home - how could you not be disappointed. Live a little outside of your comfort range for the week. Be surprised.

Can't agree more. The jerk chicken and patties I'm already craving. A nice cold red stripe! Even though we stay at CSA we walk the beach and one of the first things I do is buy a red stripe at one of the beach bars on the walk. Then we head down the beach to see our favourite beach vendor Ozzy who has become like family to us.

Enjoy and experience Negril even if its just some food and drinks!

I would love to have a patty right now.....

Really.......................why go to Jamaica to eat pizza and hot dogs !!!! ????

I agree. Medical reasons aside, I don't understand why people are willing to spend as much as they do to fly all the way to a foriegn country, but don't want to experience the local culture or cuisine after they arrive. We love Couples as much as everyone else, but we also love being able to get off the grounds and experience the "real Jamaica" and all that she has to offer.

If you don't, you're definitely missing out.

Totally agree! I don't go to Jamaica just to have beautiful scenery while doing everything as if at home.

Our first trip we went on an all-day excursion where we stopped at a local restaurant. My husband and I were the only ones to order Jamaican food. The others on the bus all said - "Oh, we've been here for 5 days already! I'm dying for a burger." ??? Really? Now I've been home from our trip for a month and I'm "dying" for a real Jamaican meal!

The guy that sells shells on the beach is named Donny. He would love to tell you more about his Rastafarian religion and history! Fascinating if you take the time to listen.

Well, I don't mind trying some different menu items, however, I have a sensitive stomach and digestive system. I can't handle spicy food for example. When we went to Mexico few years ago, we tried the Brazilian Restaurant, they served some sort of meat on a stick, looking closer at it, it still had hair on it. It tasted terrible. Next few courses, were even worse. We left and ended up eating a Pizza.

As far as mingling with the locals, we do that when we travel. I think sometimes we Americans are so rushed to do everything, accomplish it all, that we forget to stop and breathe. I think this may at times, make us more reserved in reaching out to others, we just want to chill. I have read here that many couples live a fast hectic life often involving wining and dining clients so when they come to Couples they just want to wind down- and not socialize. Mingling while on vacation is not everyone's cup of tea....Speaking for us, we love to get out and about from a resort and can't wait to come to Jamaica and do so.....

Amen Suzie!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast