Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

We used to call it "Class". Just show a little class.

I find thru the years the tread everywhere is more causual and younger guests are more prone to it. even the ladies don't put the effort in.
    Now Im not suggesting we go back to the days where we dress up for air travel and to ball games, or wear suits to dinner at home but a little effort goes a long way to preserving some romance to things. Maybe we take too much for granted now and "Special occasions" are too frequent?

To each his or her own is ok. My wife still likes to feel special and I appreciate the effort and respect by recipricating.

I understand now why they make you wear pants at "Feathers", its freaking cold in that place!!!!

Our first year at CSS in 2008 I remember the night we arrived. We did not get to the resort until around 4:30, so we unpacked, and went to the Bella Vista for supper. My husband had on a t-shirt and shorts. They politely told him he had to have on a collared shirt, so he had to go to the room and change his shirt. We now are sure he has enough collared shirts for each night we are there, and he always wears one to dinner.
    Linda

Quote Originally Posted by muck View Post
    Shorts and t-shirt is fine. Negril is the capital of casual.
    Just a quick heads up in at CN right now,

Shorts and a T shirt is definitely fine except at Otahetie the reservation restaurant. At Lychee, Heleconia, and Casa it ranges from shorts with polo/button shirt to shorts and T shirt. Almost nobody is wearing long pants, its just way too hot.

No hats at dinner though, haven't seen that. The t shirt crowd versus the polo/dressier shirt crowd seems split 30/70 with the 70 percent opting for a slightly dressier shirt. Its obvious though now that I am here, it doesn't matter, you can dress however you want.

Quote Originally Posted by bamelin View Post
    Shorts and a T shirt is definitely fine except at Otahetie the reservation restaurant.
    Sorry, I disagree. Show a little class poeple.

If you and your SO are fine wearing a tee-shirt and shorts and the dress code doesnt prohibit that, you are fine. Others may dress up a little more, and thats fine as well. To each their own. People should worry less about what others decide to wear. If you are offended by someone else wearing a tee shirt in Negril, otherwise known as "the Capital of Casual", then it's you that have the issue. Peace.

these type of threads always end up being controversial haha

Between this thread and the one criticizing people for not vacationing properly in Jamaica I have come to believe that there are a LOT of busy bodies here who seem intent upon imposing their idea of what is acceptable on other vacationers. Thankfully the people actually at Couples are not as much like that as the people here on the board tend to be. The resorts are way more laid back than the message board.

It sounds like some of you spend your dinner time looking around to see if others are dressed to meet your expectations, or looking to see if you approve of what others choose to eat, drink, or how they spend their time on vacation to see if they are doing it 'correctly' according to your idea of what they 'should' be doing while in Jamaica. Just go and enjoy your vacations folks! If the staff sees a problem with someone's clothing at dinner... they will handle it. I have even seen people criticized here for saying that they don't spend every minute with their spouse while on vacation! Relax folks. Worry about yourselves and let others do the same. Couples is perfectly capable of dealing with any problems that may arise... they don't need you to act like you have been deputized or something.

My advice to those wondering what to wear is simply this... Read the dress codes on the website and then do what you want within those guidelines. It's not as complicated as it might seem.

This probably isn't a popular opinion, but as far as I see it, wear whatever you want as long as you're not violating a stated dress code. Don't spend your life going around trying to find something to be offended over. Worry about yourself, not everyone else. I couldn't care less what you wear or what you think about what I wear.... No worries !!
    Proud palapa hoarder since 2007 !!!

Once again... strong opinions on this subject.. LOL! Classless? Busy bodies? Ha ha.. I love the people on this board. Respect .. that is a word you will hear over and over in Jamaica. It is ultimately no one else's business what you wear. It is a vacation after all.. but if I recall the poster was asking advice and did not want to look out of place. Looking with an unbiased eye, at the crowd you will be surrounded with.. the majority dress for dinner.. Have a great time!!!

Well said rhallva....more people need to be concerned with their own vacation and not how others think it should be spent.

We LOVE CN...don't care what others think and enjoy going back every year! Love seeing our old friends on the staff and the guests as well. It is a special place and we are lucky to get to go back every year. Don't care how people dress, what they eat, what they do...nothing is going to affect OUR vacation unless we choose to let that happen.

Thank you rhallva,
    Now if we could please get a lock on this thread!
    One Love,
    Mya

High five to rhaliva!! Well said....

I just got back from CN today and had a chance to read through this thread!

Wow! I never expected this to be such a hotly divisive topic!

When I originally posted I only asked as I prefer dressing fairly casually to dinner. At the same time I had no desire to embarass myself or my wife, thus the inquiry here on the boards.

Having gone to Couples Negril, I want to stress again .... it is an easy going place, FAR more casual than any cruise or even other AI's I've been to. While certainly there were a fair share that dressed up, there was nothing as dressy as I would normally see in MDR's (Main Dining Room's) on Cruise ships. Most men wore collared shirts with shorts. Almost nobody wore pants (unless at Otaheite). There were defintely some folks in T Shirts (myself included), typically in Casa on buffet nights, and sometimes in Lychee.

It seemed to go in terms of "Tshirt-ness" -- Casa, Lychee, Heleconia. As I mentioned earlier a split of about 70/30 -- 70 percent wearing collared stuff, 30 percent in T shirts. EVERYONE wore shorts. It was waaay too hot for pants with the humidity pushing 41 degrees Celcius (105.8 F).

Collared shirts were way on the casual side .... hawiian shirts, super casual collared button downs, polo's, that sort of thing. Fancy sandals was also in abundance.

My wife and I tend to prefer casual in the evening. On cruise ships we would often skip the MDR and get dinner in our room instead specificially so we don't have to go dressy. For myself, I dress business casual (similar to resort evening casual) 5 days a week .... when on vacation I just don't want ot get into those sort of clothes. It reminds me too much of the life I'm escaping.

With that said I get that many people want to dress up at night and have a classy evening. I respect that which is a big part of why I started this thread to begin with ... I go with the flow wherever I am at, and prefer not to look like an idiot at dinner if my preference for super casual is going to stick out like a sore thumb (again part of the reason on cruises we often get our dinner in our room or go to the buffet).

With that said, of all the All Inclusive resorts I've been to I have to say that Couples Negril had one of the most "relaxed" dinner wear I had seen in my travels. I suspect this may not be exclusive to Couples Negril, but may be a "Negril" thing in general. As somebody else said Negril is the capital of casual. It's just too hot to go too dinner in super dressy clothes.

With that said, I think I'm going to invest in more collared hawiian shirts. They are comfy, and straddle the casual/dressy line.

Again IMHO from what I saw 10 days at Couples Negril, T shirts were perfectly fine/normal in dinner buffets, I saw them mixed in at Lychee, and rarely saw them at Heleconia. The majority of guests were generally in some type of collar or button down with nice shorts at dinner and "dress" sandals like Rockports. T Shirts were often sprinkled into this mix and nobody seemed to care.

Wear something nice, that way the rest of us will feel like we are at an upscale resort, and not the McDonalds down the street.

How about people focus on themselves and stop worrying about what other people are wearing? I certainly don't sit there and take note of what everyone else is wearing, I'm having too much fun to worry about trivial items such as other people's attire.

I'm in the pro rhallva camp (thank you).

To piggyback on rhallva's perfect assessment...

I love how people toss around their version of "class" like it's the be-all-end-all description. The resort makes the rules, not the people that think they can tell other people how to dress themselves. If somebody is within the guidelines set by the resort and the staff doesn't say anything, what the hell do you care about other peoples' attire? And besides, the clothing critics are probably the same people that complain about others being on their cellphones at dinner, instead of focusing on their SO. However, are you focusing on your SO, while you're gawking at other guests? MYOB, drink your drinks, eat your food, and focus on yourselves. Judging other peoples' clothing is much more classless than wearing a nice T-shirt to dinner in the most laid back place on earth.
    "Brutalize me with music..."

CN: 11/2007, 11/2010, 11/2011, 11/2013

I'm not so much about whether the guy has on a shirt with a collar as I am that the guy (& his wife/girlfriend) are clean & don't smell in what they are wearing. When we were at CN last December, there were 2 couples (they weren't traveling together) that we noticed over & over again in the same clothes day in & day out. In the 9 days that we were there, we saw them in 2 different outfits total & they didn't smell so great to say the least. They would have the same outfits on at breakfast that you'd see them in later in the Piano Bar or at dinner & then again at the Piano Bar. These outfits were swim trunks for the guys with a collared button down flowered shirts & sandals & sundresses over swimwear with sandals for the women. The main reason we even noticed it was because they were in the Piano Bar one of the first evenings we were there & they were all sitting around the piano .... My husband & I were sitting under the windows a distance away & the aroma of sweat & that funky ocean water smell was about to knock us over. They got up & left & we thought that they would be going to shower & change for dinner but when we went to eat, there they were all still in the same clothes. The next morning at breakfast, we saw them all again in the same clothes with the same smell .... That got us to watching to see how long they wore the same things ...... Like I said earlier, they only had a change of outfits one time while we were there. I'm sure they can travel with only a carry on bag, which I can not. The guys were wearing collared shirts, though, & the women had on dresses ....... So guess that doesn't mean a whole lot if that's the only criteria for being dressed appropriately.
    Julie

Maxernie - That is so gross! There is a perfect example of when carry-on only is not enough! (actually, I can get more outfits than that in my CO, so I don't know what their excuse is) It is a hot climate. I don't get how people think they can keep wearing the same clothes?
    Side note - we were at another resort and there was this guy by himself who wore black pants and long sleeve black shirt all day and night. At first we thought maybe he lost his luggage. Strangest was when he went swimming in that outfit. He seemed very quiet and odd, so we felt bad for him. Tried to talk to him but he almost ran away. Never did find out his story.
    We like to dress up a little, but we don't obsess with what others wear. T-shirts don't bother us. Sometimes people's outfits are entertaining. Seems to often be one woman on each trip who dresses like a two bit hooker, but no rule against that! LOL.
    We trust that Couples will address the true offenders (i.e. men in sleeveless shirts with hairy pits showing). However, BO from dirty clothes draws the line. How can that be put in the dress code? One would think people would have some common sense, and respect, but not so. That is why we need dress codes in the first place.

Maxernie - perhaps the airline lost their luggage?

Our first trip to CN was slightly compromised due to lost luggage. I was in the midst of a "must do" exercise regimen. I admittedly broke the rules by going to the gym in my swim trunks and boat shoes. Fearing I would offend the classier guests, I did my workout at 4:30 each morning. I will take this opportunity to apologize to anyone whom I may have offended. (though I never saw anyone else in the gym at 4:30 a.m. - perhaps my slovenly attire scared them away)

Just look at the restaurant page and you can get the dress code. For CN, both Cassava Terrace and Heliconia say dress is resort casual. Lychee says "Elegent casual" and defines it as "Shirts, slacks/dress shorts and closed-toe shoes or dress sandals for the gentlemen and summer dresses for the ladies. No flip flops, T-shirts, beach shorts, jeans, sneakers, or hats are allowed. Jacket is optional." Thus for Lychee T-shirts would be in violation of the dress code.

I've already posted my opinion but here is a link to a previous thread that addresses the term "resort casual" as posted by "Couples Resorts".

http://couples.com/mb/couples-main-m...re-mean-19754/

I'm a big lurker on the Boards, but I don't post much. Still, I had to chime in here. I can understand people being upset and feeling like the ambiance is lost if people dress far more casually than the dress codes allow. But other than that, I have to agree wholeheartedly with the people who say to wear what you want as long as you're meeting the stated dress codes. After all, we go to Couples because we like the model they've set up, and they are the ones who set the different dress codes for the various restaurants.

As for my wife and I, we'll probably be among the better dressed several nights and among the more casual other nights, and we'll have a delightful time each of those nights, regardless of what others are wearing.

In the end, my main hope is that Couples enforces their own policies, and that are consistent about turning people away from the "nicer" restaurants when they show up far more casually than the dress code allows. Other than that, to each his/her own.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxernie View Post
    The main reason we even noticed it was because they were in the Piano Bar one of the first evenings we were there & they were all sitting around the piano .... My husband & I were sitting under the windows a distance away & the aroma of sweat & that funky ocean water smell was about to knock us over. They got up & left & we thought that they would be going to shower & change for dinner but when we went to eat, there they were all still in the same clothes. The next morning at breakfast, we saw them all again in the same clothes with the same smell .... That got us to watching to see how long they wore the same things ...... Like I said earlier, they only had a change of outfits one time while we were there. I'm sure they can travel with only a carry on bag, which I can not. The guys were wearing collared shirts, though, & the women had on dresses ....... So guess that doesn't mean a whole lot if that's the only criteria for being dressed appropriately.
    Ummm....gross. Offensively funky odor falls well out of the category of attire. Collared shirt or not, how does the phrase go? "You can't polish a poo." At my martial arts gym, bad personal hygiene will get you sent home - a t-shirt will not
    "Brutalize me with music..."

CN: 11/2007, 11/2010, 11/2011, 11/2013

So I have to wonder, these same judging people at the restaurants are at the AN parts of the resort as well?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast