Hybrid View

Default Swept Away in October vs December

So, we booked Swept Away for December 6, 2014. But I was thinking of changing to the end of October-to early November, 2014. What is the weather like? Is it pretty much the same at both those times of year? How rainy is it, usually? Anyone been there at those times, have any advice? Thanks!

A quick check of the climatology of Negril shows Oct to be among the wettest months with a dramatic drop off in precipitation as you move into Nov and Dec. If all else is equal, I would be inclined to stay with Dec to increase the odds of nicer weather. You can check the climatology data at the following URL:

Negril Climate Guide, Jamaica | World Climate Guide

Quote Originally Posted by orangehills View Post
    So, we booked Swept Away for December 6, 2014. But I was thinking of changing to the end of October-to early November, 2014. What is the weather like? Is it pretty much the same at both those times of year? How rainy is it, usually? Anyone been there at those times, have any advice? Thanks!

The weather is pretty much the same all year long. The difference between October and December is the possibility of a hurricane. We've been going to CSA in October and April for many years. Two years ago, the beach was shut for a couple of days because of a hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico. The water was rough for most of the 9 days we were there. Last October, we had to deal with Hurricane Sandy. Again, we lost the use of the beach for half of our stay. We've switched to the first nine days of December 2014 and will probably stay with that and April from now on.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

We were in CSA in Dec 2012 and couldn't have asked for better weather. It only rained once for a couple of hours but when it was done the sun was shining again. The temps were mid 80s everyday and the evenings were a little cooler but still perfect.
    We are planning our trip again for mid Nov 2014 so it's a little farther away from Christmas. Can't wait!

I'm going to echo my hubby's words. Although last month (our last October of going to CSA) was nice weather, two brushes with hurricanes in a row was enough for me! With Sandy, the staff had to prepare the resort in advance of the hurricane. This meant all pool furniture IN the pool for two days before the storm hit (not able to then use pool), all boats up against the buildings and off the beach so no water sports, and all furniture off the beach (including the floaties). AFTER the storm there were huge piles/small hills of seaweed all over the beach. Definitely an INTERESTING experience, but probably not what you go on vacation to the tropics for. . Go in December.

Quote Originally Posted by orangehills View Post

Thanks everyone, we decided to keep with December, but just changed it to a week earlier so it's not smack in the middle of Christmastime. Can't wait for Nov. 30, 2014!