Default Trash the dress...

Hi ladies!! I was wondering if I could get some feedback on trashing the dress?? It looks like so much fun and the pictures I have seen are awesome! I'm just so scared it's going to ruin my dress, it is all lace!

Can anyone tell me if they did it and their dress is ok? and what you did afterward?? Thanks! I can't wait for our wedding at CN 3/6/10!!

Quote Originally Posted by lacrum4 View Post
    Hi ladies!! I was wondering if I could get some feedback on trashing the dress?? It looks like so much fun and the pictures I have seen are awesome! I'm just so scared it's going to ruin my dress, it is all lace!

Can anyone tell me if they did it and their dress is ok? and what you did afterward?? Thanks! I can't wait for our wedding at CN 3/6/10!!
    can someone shed some light on why a person would spend so much time and energy on an article of clothing only to destroy it.
    seems like a waste, instead of trashing why notdonate your wedding dress to a local women. I doubt that many local ja women could or would ever imagine having such a fancy expensive piece of clothing
    So ladies educate the ignorant. You invest in a dress, a person may or may not invest his or her time ( similar to art) in building the dress. then you trash it ? and the net result of this is ?
    thanks for the feedback in advance
    one thing about JA especially negril is the theme of being respectful and grateful... take that into consideration before you make you decide what to do with the dress

I think trashing the dress would be a very fun and memorable moment, good pictures too. I am definately planning on trashing my dress, HOWEVER, i am taking that into great consideration as I look for a dress. I am hoping to find a great one previously used, or a nice white "prom" dress on clearance!!

what exactly is trash the dress? is a jamaican tradition? what do you do?

I did a trash the dress session after my wedding. My dress was very dirty at the bottom from walking around the resort taking pics. Also my dress was taffeta with a ballon hemline and sand get inside the layers of fabric that were sewn together to make the ballon hem. I am having it cleaned now. I also knew I was going to do this when I bought my dress, so it wasn't a very expensive dress to begin with (a couple hundred bucks).

I did it in March! It was So Much Fun! Our pictures are amazing. My dress is perfect ( I wore it again at our reception @ home). What I did to "make sure" it would be okay is asked my Dry Cleaner before we left.
    I was also told to soak the dress in cold water after the oceans (I did not do this and the dress was still perfect).
    GOOD LUCK HAVE A BLAST AND TRASH YOUR DRESS!!!

steverandlinda: Please understand that we are not literally going to "trash" the dress. I'm not sure if you noticed but the whole point to my question was to ask previous brides who have done this, to let me know if their dress was ok, because I do not in fact want to ruin the dress. I plan to keep it for the rest of my life. Also I feel that if I spent the money on it, it's my prerogative do what I want with it, don't you think? Thanks for your feedback!

local2464: I would love to see your pictures if you have some! We are getting married this coming March! I can't wait, I think I'm definitely going to trash the dress, it just sounds like so much fun! Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by lacrum4 View Post
    steverandlinda: Also I feel that if I spent the money on it, it's my prerogative do what I want with it, don't you think? Thanks for your feedback!
    !
    yep you are right you paid for it and can do whatever you wish just please remember what you paid for your dress is probably a few months wages for the same person who will be pulling out your chair at breaksfast or the guy putting a roof on a new building. JA is a richly proud land steeped in respect, as a visitor we should consider that ...

I will definitely keep that in mind, thank you.

I am making art with my dress in the ocean, along with my husband and his linen pants and shirt. This different way of photographing a beautiful woman and man in their ceremonial dress, doing something different than "getting married" to symbolize that we are so much more than a "wife" or "husband". I am giving my dress and my marriage more meaning and depth, than just being my "wedding dress" with staunch poses, standing so straight and upright, it will have flow, bend and a giving character. Maybe the term should be changed? I have not seen anyone tear up their dress, or destroy it. I have to wear it back in the states for a blessing of our wedding with all our family and friends that can't make it. I know they will love the pictures and interrpertation of what our wedding and new beginning of life means to us.

Hope you have fun and congratulations

Quote Originally Posted by steverandlinda View Post
    yep you are right you paid for it and can do whatever you wish just please remember what you paid for your dress is probably a few months wages for the same person who will be pulling out your chair at breaksfast or the guy putting a roof on a new building. JA is a richly proud land steeped in respect, as a visitor we should consider that ...

I wasn't sure if I wanted to do Trash the Dress pictures.....and the JA people were the ones trying to talk me into it.....I ended up not being able to do it....I couldn't see ruining my dress.. If only I had known that it could be fixed later...

I did a trash the dress and loved it. I think our pictures speak for themselves. My dress was fine from the water but it was not lace. We were married at 11 and for the evening I had a white halter dress from JCrew and hubby wore khaki shorts and a white polo and I carried around my bouquet.

Check out the slide show I made of all of our pics.
    http://www.photodex.com/sharing/view...html?bm=163882

Tammatt: omg I LOVED your pics!!! who was your photographer? stacey?
    do you have any pics from the evening, in our JCrew dress?

JennyBenny: SUNGOLD....ALL THE WAY!!! I love Sungold and to this day still go on their website to see all of the beautiful weddings they do. Here are some pics from that night. Name:  l_0dfb4e86e8df82c7b48ca46b80991dd6.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  17.8 KB

Name:  l_a4e6fc1bf854b84e770e2ab3db08eb2b.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  32.6 KB

Tammatt, those pictures are awesome!! Thank you so much for sharing! I cannot wait to go, get married and have amazing pictures like yours! Was this at CN?

Thanks so much. Yes CN.

A bit late to this convo, but, as a photographer who does primarily weddings and have had the opportunity to photograph "trash the dress" sessions, there seem to be a few misconceptions...

You do NOT have to literally trash it. For my couples, it's been more about getting really great photos of the two of them together without as tight of time constraints as wedding days (with guests) normally pose. Let your photographer know how comfortable you are with it getting dirty and what your ultimate plans are for the dress.

You do not have to go dive in the ocean, roll around in a mud pit, or wipe greasy hands all over the dress, though some people opt to do that.

Most wedding dresses are white - by their nature, they tend to get dirty even if you aren't doing a "trash the dress" photo shoot. You are just getting an extra opportunity to wear your dress for a while.

I've seen dresses get way more "trashed" during a reception than during most photo shoots.

Professional dry cleaners are amazingly adept at restoring dresses back to almost original condition. In all but the most extreme cases, you are able to preserve, donate, or sell the dress after it has been cleaned.

My advice is - have a blast...get great photos - these will be some of your most prized possessions in your life.

I too am a professional photographer and Stacey did our amazing pics May 2009... Love ya Stac!!! Anyway, we did the trash the dress pics, it was way worth it, the pics are really awesome. We went up to our room jumped into the shower and the dress looks like it did the day I brought it home from the bridal shop. I say GO FOR IT!!!! Someone previously posted that the bottom was dirty from walking around the property. I'm not sure how that happened unless they ran through some spilled water before walking around. We were all over CN, wedding in the gardens and photos all over and then to the ocean for trash the dress. My Aunt even was amazed when we got back home and she was looking at the dress. No problem mon!!

I "trashed" my dress after our ceremony at CSA in Sept. My I soaked it in cold water afterwards and laid it out to dry. It is as perfect as it was the day i brought it! The term trash is not literal! It was fun and made for great pictures. i encourage you to enjoy your day.

Here are some pictures taken by Stacy Clark of me trashing my dress. I would absolutely do it again! It just completes the dream wedding! Enjoy
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Default Trash it!

Yes, yes, yes. We worked with Stacey and the "trash the dress" photos are my favorite!

Default Perfect dress after trashing it

I just wanted to say that my dress is perfect even after "trashing it". The water did not do any damage and I am sure the photos are going to be AWESOME!!