Default Quick comments (and one concern) about our stay at CSA 12/11-12/21

My wife and I were married on December 14th at CSA. We were there with about 6 other couples. I am very thankful everyone seemed to really enjoy their stays at CSA and we had a great time without being "those" people that were loud and obnoxious. The wedding was amazing and the staff made sure it went very smooth for us. Another couple with us commented that we were the calmest people that were about to get married they've seen and the smoothest wedding they've been to in the last few years. Food was very tasty, drinks were a bit inconsistent, but overall you can't argue! Try the Miami Vice (looks like a Rocket Pop) and Bahama Mama! A special shout to Ms. Chevel that does beach service on the northern side of the beach. She was very personable and fun.

My only real issue I had the entire stay was as follows. (I also left this on their survey before leaving but may require additional feedback)

A situation occurred in the water with a guy pimping his jet ski. He was inside the second set of buoys where he wasn't supposed to be. He almost hit a couple wading out there. Our friend asked him politely to leave because he was inside the buoy line. The guy started mouthing off and words were exchanged. He left, but returned shortly after. The guy proceeding to threaten our friend by saying if he wasn't careful, he would hit our friend with the butt of his gun. This was reported to one of the guards onshore and our friend was actually laughed at when the guard saw to whom he was referring. Again, the guy left but showed up yelling verbal threats. By this time, I think through walkie traffic, an actual Couples manager came down to the beach. Thankfully the next day we did see a police longboat go up and down the beach a few times and what appeared to be a few police officers on the beach as well. Near the station we were sitting, they had a fierce female guard that we liked a lot. There must be more accountability by this outside contractor.

This incident alone will not keep us from returning for our 4th time if we can afford it, but it is something we very quickly noticed as a major difference from the previous years. With this in mind, we are still loyal to the Couples brand. One Love...

One if our biggest issues when going to CSA is the jet ski operators harassing us when we float out by the buoys. My daughter had an “encounter” with them when they were there that frightened her. The Negril police do come by once in a while if there are any issues. I know that the security guards at CSA are friends with many of the locals that sell their goods on the beach. I wish the jet ski’s were not allowed.

Life is good

The Jet Ski vendors are and issue that quite a few Negril hotels are trying to address as well as the horses running up and down the beach. Perhaps a resolution and enforcement "soon come".
    it's all about the kids

www.issatrustfoundation.com

My biggest gripe with the jet ski vendors is that they're noisy, smelly and the waves disrupt my peaceful float in the water! Wouldn't hurt my feelings if they were required to move "downwind".

That's disturbing, I've never had an issue before. I hope they follow up and take care of it.

When I'm at CSA, I like to hang out near the rope line, either floating on a floatie or treading water. When I was there last January, a couple on a jetski were going way too fast and went out of control and crossed over the buoy lines and missed me by less than a foot. They laughed hysterically and went on their way. I know that they probably can't outlaw the jetskis, or even move them. This was one thing we especially liked about CSS, no jetskis. But there has got to be a solution to this very real problem at CSA.

I don't mind the vendors walking the beach at CSA or CN, they really don't bother you if you just smile and say no thanks, and believe me, there are very, very few compared to other beaches I have been to in the Caribbean. The thing that irks me the most, and this is not a Couples issue, is the jet ski vendors. They zip up and down the lines, making noise, smelling up the air and causing waves in an otherwise tranquil setting. They also have people walking the beach selling their jet ski rentals. If people want to rent them let them walk to the rental location. Seems to me if they had a rental location on the beach located between 2 properties, (easy access to several resorts) they might get more rentals. Never see many people talking to them in the water. IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
    My biggest gripe with the jet ski vendors is that they're noisy, smelly and the waves disrupt my peaceful float in the water! Wouldn't hurt my feelings if they were required to move "downwind".
    The vendors are smelly? That's not very nice. LOL

The horses are an issue. We saw a horse dump on the beach one time. The owner of the horse stopped, jumped off the horse, dug a hole in the sand with his hands, and then pushed the droppings in the hole in the sand. We stayed away from that section of the beach the rest of the week.

Life is good

I'm not real thrilled about the jet skis, but I'm pretty sure they have a legal right to be out there. I just chalk it up to being one of those things that you encounter in a different country. It's kind of funny on some level.....we like our tropical getaway and we say we like the people, but we seem to have varying degrees of tolerance for them. Not saying this to be critical of anyone else, just an observation. We've been fortunate to be able to visit Jamaica for 25 years, so I guess we have learned to live and let live. Threats and harassment are never OK however.

Jamaicanme,...yeah, my grammar or commas weren't correct lol! The JET SKIS smell!

Wow, that's scary ! We have not had problems with the jet ski vendors in the last 3 trips to CSA. They will float by and ask if we want to rent them. We say no thank you and they've always said "no problem mon'. Do you have a name or can you describe him? The end of January we will be returning to CSA. This past summer at the Lake, we rented jet ski's for the first time and loved them. I told my husband that I think I would like to try them at CSA this year. If you could describe the person that threatened your friend, we would not rent from him. Maybe having Elvis hook us up would be good. Again, so sorry about your experience........that person should be banned from the area, and shame on CSA if they do not handle this situation. We will be on the look out, and if we experience the same treatment we will definitely report it and make sure it is taken care of !
    Quote Originally Posted by Bricks41 View Post
    My wife and I were married on December 14th at CSA. We were there with about 6 other couples. I am very thankful everyone seemed to really enjoy their stays at CSA and we had a great time without being "those" people that were loud and obnoxious. The wedding was amazing and the staff made sure it went very smooth for us. Another couple with us commented that we were the calmest people that were about to get married they've seen and the smoothest wedding they've been to in the last few years. Food was very tasty, drinks were a bit inconsistent, but overall you can't argue! Try the Miami Vice (looks like a Rocket Pop) and Bahama Mama! A special shout to Ms. Chevel that does beach service on the northern side of the beach. She was very personable and fun.

My only real issue I had the entire stay was as follows. (I also left this on their survey before leaving but may require additional feedback)

A situation occurred in the water with a guy pimping his jet ski. He was inside the second set of buoys where he wasn't supposed to be. He almost hit a couple wading out there. Our friend asked him politely to leave because he was inside the buoy line. The guy started mouthing off and words were exchanged. He left, but returned shortly after. The guy proceeding to threaten our friend by saying if he wasn't careful, he would hit our friend with the butt of his gun. This was reported to one of the guards onshore and our friend was actually laughed at when the guard saw to whom he was referring. Again, the guy left but showed up yelling verbal threats. By this time, I think through walkie traffic, an actual Couples manager came down to the beach. Thankfully the next day we did see a police longboat go up and down the beach a few times and what appeared to be a few police officers on the beach as well. Near the station we were sitting, they had a fierce female guard that we liked a lot. There must be more accountability by this outside contractor.

This incident alone will not keep us from returning for our 4th time if we can afford it, but it is something we very quickly noticed as a major difference from the previous years. With this in mind, we are still loyal to the Couples brand. One Love...

While there in December (2013)- there was a guy with a bull-horn going up and down the beach advertising for some club down the beach- had to get tickets or something..that was annoying. The Vendors on the beach didn't bother us that much- they stay near the water line for most part- some were given more lee-way by security at times. I floated by rope many times and held onto it--but Jet Ski's did come by all the time.....when I could see them coming in the distance, I just paddled away as fast as I could....

I think it would be great to have a Jet ski rental place between the resort on either side, perhaps that would cut down on the jet ski trollers for business.

Quote Originally Posted by Iriemon View Post
    I'm not real thrilled about the jet skis, but I'm pretty sure they have a legal right to be out there. ....
    Actually, although there are legal ways to operate jet skis, according to recent media reports, the vast majority (90%) are illegal.
    Hotel operators on the island, and in Negril in particular, having been increasingly voicing their concerns. The Tourism Minster has been reporting actions to combat the problem. Some number were confiscated last month or so - in St. Ann, IIRC.

Here are a few articles:
    http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2.../western1.html
    http://jamaica-gleaner.com/latest/article.php?id=47780
    http://jamaica-gleaner.com/latest/article.php?id=48663

But I learned to be a bit careful in discussing the issue. At CN once I returned to the beach from windsurfing and the watersports guy asked how it was. I complained that the jet ski made it much harder (IMO he was very aggressive in riding near my board, and I'm not that good in the 1st place).
    Watersports guy: "That guy over there".
    Me: "yes, him".
    Watersports guy: "That's my cousin. He needs to earn money to feed his son".

Ooops. I still dislike most of the jet ski operators but am more careful about voicing it.

Wow - we were at CTI that same week and not one jet ski vendor. There was a guy in a tiny fishing boat and the seashell guy on a paddleboard, but they just sat there in the water. No harassment at all. We loved that we felt so secluded. What a shame that these vendors have to behave like that.

When were were at CSA in August 2013, a polite "No Thank you" was enough and they would ride on by. On our 2nd day at the resort, there was a lady on a paddle board just outside of the 1st buoy line and she was hit by a jet ski. They took her to the hospital and last we heard before leaving, she was still unresponsive and on a ventilator. Anyone know how she did? The couple was from Russia I believe.

That bull horn is annoying !!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironbutterfly View Post
    While there in December (2013)- there was a guy with a bull-horn going up and down the beach advertising for some club down the beach- had to get tickets or something..that was annoying. The Vendors on the beach didn't bother us that much- they stay near the water line for most part- some were given more lee-way by security at times. I floated by rope many times and held onto it--but Jet Ski's did come by all the time.....when I could see them coming in the distance, I just paddled away as fast as I could....

I think it would be great to have a Jet ski rental place between the resort on either side, perhaps that would cut down on the jet ski trollers for business.

Ge,

I couldn't quite place the guy, might have been the one that goes by the name "Spider" usually wearing a spiderman shirt. We, a few day prior to the incident, did rent 2 jet skis from "Cheap Charlie" who hangs out just off resort by the Grill. Was easily able to get him to go for $40 for 40 minutes per jet ski. I think it was worth the money.

For a reasonable charge, I think the suggestion of having a rental company on site is a great idea. Probably poses liability issues for the resort as it is then putting motorized vehicles into people's hands, unlike the other inclusions of kayaking, wind surfing, hobie cat, etc.

I did get a personal response from the GM of CSA regarding my concerns. I greatly appreciated her taking the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ge View Post
    Wow, that's scary ! We have not had problems with the jet ski vendors in the last 3 trips to CSA. They will float by and ask if we want to rent them. We say no thank you and they've always said "no problem mon'. Do you have a name or can you describe him? The end of January we will be returning to CSA. This past summer at the Lake, we rented jet ski's for the first time and loved them. I told my husband that I think I would like to try them at CSA this year. If you could describe the person that threatened your friend, we would not rent from him. Maybe having Elvis hook us up would be good. Again, so sorry about your experience........that person should be banned from the area, and shame on CSA if they do not handle this situation. We will be on the look out, and if we experience the same treatment we will definitely report it and make sure it is taken care of !

One if the pros of CTI. No jet ski rentals nearby do very few jet skis go by if any at all.

Bricks41: Thanks for the information.........we'll keep an eye out and will be more observant of the jet skis this year and check out 'spider' Ge