Default CSS snorkeling off the main beach

Some of the previous posts I've read on this issue are a couple of year's old so looking for an update. I've been checking promo pics at CSS as well as Google Earth and it looks like it would be some good snorkeling straight off the main beach at CSS. Is this permitted or do you have to snorkel via booking for a snorkel tour.

They prefer you stay within the designated swimming area, mostly because there are various boats coming and going all the time. Mostly a safety issue. however, there is no actual lifeguard that will give you a hard time when you venture outside the marked swimming area.

Couples resorts offer daily snorkeling excursions, usually twice a day. You must sign up for these as space is limited. You can go every day if you like. They have 3 or 4 nice snorkeling locations they take you to. One that CSS and CTI use has a sunken ship to explore.

There is a water sports hut on the beach. Go there to sign up for snorkeling. This is also where you will gather before they leave. They have some decent snorkeling gear for you to use for their snorkeling excursions. But they won't give it out for use in the swimming area. It is for their snorkeling trips only. If you have some decent snorkeling gear of your own, you can bring this with you. But snorkeling gear can take up a lot of room in your luggage.

About the only time they cancel the snorkeling trips is when there are red flag conditions. Usually after the waves reach a certain height. During red flag conditions, all water sports are canceled. As great as Couples Resorts are, even they can not control the weather. Just find something else to do.

Only 76 more days until we return to CTI. Starting to get a little closer.

There is a lot to see near the cliffs off the main swimming area at CSS; lots of fish like to hang out there. But you will need to have your own snorkel gear to snorkel in the swimming area. The resort gear is only for the snorkel boat trips. The problem we had was visibility in the water. When we were there for 10 days, we only had decent visibility in the water near shore on 2 of those days. I think part of the problem is that the water crashes up against the cliffs and the silty sand gets stirred up from the bottom. We couldn't see more than a foot in front of our masks on most of the days.

We brought our own snorkel gear and started by the spa/mineral pool and came around to the swimming area. Watch out for the sea urchins!

Maybe santa will bring me some gear so I can try it out in April 2014.

its pretty good. when we were there in April we brought our own gear. They didnt mind us using a couple life jackets to float around in and it made us more visible to the boats coming in. you will see a bunch of different fish, some starfish, definitely sea urchins. there is alot of sea weed and the water isnt very deep till you get out closer to the point. I am planning on going a little further out this year and bringing the camera with me!
    hope Santa brings you a nice set as it really is worth bringing your own gear with you!

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Jack View Post
    They prefer you stay within the designated swimming area, mostly because there are various boats coming and going all the time. Mostly a safety issue. however, there is no actual lifeguard that will give you a hard time when you venture outside the marked swimming area.

Couples resorts offer daily snorkeling excursions, usually twice a day. You must sign up for these as space is limited. You can go every day if you like. They have 3 or 4 nice snorkeling locations they take you to. One that CSS and CTI use has a sunken ship to explore.

There is a water sports hut on the beach. Go there to sign up for snorkeling. This is also where you will gather before they leave. They have some decent snorkeling gear for you to use for their snorkeling excursions. But they won't give it out for use in the swimming area. It is for their snorkeling trips only. If you have some decent snorkeling gear of your own, you can bring this with you. But snorkeling gear can take up a lot of room in your luggage.

About the only time they cancel the snorkeling trips is when there are red flag conditions. Usually after the waves reach a certain height. During red flag conditions, all water sports are canceled. As great as Couples Resorts are, even they can not control the weather. Just find something else to do.

Only 76 more days until we return to CTI. Starting to get a little closer.
    It there stand up paddle boarding at CSS? If not is there any resort that includes it?

Thanks

sorry for the long delay but YES there were paddle boards when we were there in April.