Default Dive Knife Okay?

Those of you who have dived while at Negril, is it okay to take a dive knife with you from the US into Jamaica?

Thanks! Leaving in four days!

1) Really???? Why would you need a dive knife???? This is NEGRIL, not some wild and wooly Nat Geo scuba diving adventure! Plus, I seriously doubt you're going to be allowed to do any "knife fishing" while on your scuba trip.
    2) If you do bring your knife, be sure to pack it in your carry on luggage….and don't bother to tell any of the nice TSA agents that you're packing'….

Yes - you can bring it in checked with no problem.

I have never had a problem taking my dive knife into Jamaica, although I have it attached to my BCD which is in checked luggage. Never dive without it!

Yep, just got back with mine. Make sure it goes in a checked bag or TSA will have a heyday with you.
    "Brutalize me with music..."

CN: 11/2007, 11/2010, 11/2011, 11/2013

I've seen a few dive with knives, but I guess the question would be Why? I can see it if you are just diving with a buddy, but at a Resort, with atleast one divemaster? You're not doing an inside ship dive with entanglement being an issue. But, whatever, ...Just don't bring it in your carry-on.

Yes. Just be sure to check it.

For those who are wondering why someone would bring a knife, in over 40 dives at CN, we have used mine several times for a variety of reasons, including getting fishing net off of reef, untangling a turtle, and repairing a stuck regulator. And, when the instructors know who has one, they will immediately point to you when they need it.
    "Brutalize me with music..."

CN: 11/2007, 11/2010, 11/2011, 11/2013

Quote Originally Posted by gonegril View Post
    1) Really???? Why would you need a dive knife???? This is NEGRIL, not some wild and wooly Nat Geo scuba diving adventure! Plus, I seriously doubt you're going to be allowed to do any "knife fishing" while on your scuba trip.
    2) If you do bring your knife, be sure to pack it in your carry on luggage….and don't bother to tell any of the nice TSA agents that you're packing'….
    Wow!...Really gonegril? Did you take your meds yet? LOL

TSA will likely search your checked bag with a knife in it, and when they search they don't tend to put it all back the way it was. We stopped bothering with dive knives for travel long ago. Really not necessary. No entanglement risks at heavily dived sites.

As a Divemaster, I would feel naked without at a knife at hand when diving, even on fabulous resort dives and heavily dived sites. Never have had a problem with one in checked luggage. I have used it on more then one occasion while on a pleasure dive and have used it to help others or the reef. I also found out not to let the dive operators know your a divemaster or you are likely to become an unpaid safety diver while on vacation because they might leave the dock without the appropriate amount of safety personnel on board. Of course in reality I am a safety dive anyway.

Also, another good reason for carrying a knife, when a shark attach seems eminent, stab your dive buddy then swim like the dickens to get away from the blood.

I'm with the "bring it in your checked" crowd. I'll admit to only having a couple dives under my belt (mostly my certification dives,) but even in a regularly dove spot, there's always the chance of something. Getting snarled in some fishing line, gear repair on the boat, something. Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

Thank you all for your input!

3 days!

Quote Originally Posted by cpanddp View Post
    Wow!...Really gonegril? Did you take your meds yet? LOL
    Wow back….nice comment!

Quote Originally Posted by smroot View Post

Also, another good reason for carrying a knife, when a shark attach seems eminent, stab your dive buddy then swim like the dickens to get away from the blood.
    Love this comment!!!

its kinda like your American express card....never leave home without it....and packin don't refer to a knife,havent been without one since 4th grade

Appreciate most of the comments and suggestions. As a Rescue Diver, I believe in being prepared and it appears the vast majority of those divers responding agree. As for the comment made by "gonegril", your opinion is noted and dismissed, however I DO agree with the "meds" comment.... LMAO...