Default Suggestions or Tips on what to pack for CTI first timers :)

We are getting ready to visit CTI for the first time. The trip is just a couple weeks away now and we are so excited. So excited we have started packing to make sure we dont forget anything. Does anyone have suggestions of what they took and were glad they had, what they wish they had remembered/thought of or what you packed and didn't need?

Also suggestions on your favorite things to do. And would you bring your own snorkel stuff? Thank you everyone. We are really looking forward to our honeymoon.

After (15) trips for us, after you pack take about 1/2 of it out. You need sunscreen, medications, a couple of bathing suits, 1 pair of long pants for guys, couple pair of shorts and a few shirts.

I take my mask and snorkel, leave the rest at home

Relax, smile, enjoy the resort, try all of the restaurants, try food dishes that you have not had before, maybe 1 trip to Dunns River

Unless you plan to dive, I wouldn't mess with bringing your snorkel gear. The snorkeling at the resort is not worth the hassle. We took ours one year, based on the rumor that there was good snorkeling by Bayside, and turned out to be a complete waste of time. Nothing to see.

If you go on the snorkeling excursion through the resort you can borrow their gear.

Honest, it sounds weird but try the soups!!! Our first time there they looked so good but we always thought its way to hot to eat soup. One day we just had to try it and we had it everyday after that. We'll see you there. First round at the island swim up bar is in me

Go snorkeling around the Island. We take as much as we can fit in the case as we like to dress for dinner. having said that it depends how long you're going for. Pace yourself and enjoy.

My main tip is that I definitely recommend reading this (very long, very worthwhile) thread: http://couples.com/mb/couples-main-m...ht-thread-354/. And yes, you will probably need much less than you're thinking...unless you sweat a lot, you can plan on rewearing at least a couple of dinner outfits.

That being said, here's the list that I consider must-brings (learned after our first visit to CTI last January):
    -Hair dryer if you have hair that's longer than pixie-length and/or thick
    -Lens cleaning solution for glasses/sunglasses (sounds silly, but salt water is impossible to get off--I used my cleaner about twice a day)
    -Sunscreen (plan on enough for a full-body application at least once a day and a few re-applications each day--for us this worked out to one large bottle every 2.5-3 days)
    -Ink pens in your carry-on for the customs forms
    -Water shoes for Dunn's River Falls (you'll also be able to wear them on the catamaran instead of leaving them behind on the dock, like they do for the folks who try to board the boat wearing flip-flops)
    -Empty garbage bag to put dirty clothes into
    -Hangers for the closet if you have need for more than ~8
    -Insulated drink containers (we didn't bring these last year but will this time)
    -Dramamine if you get motion sickness and plan to go on the catamaran (this is something we didn't bring last time but will this time)
    -Bathing suits: at least one for every 3-4 days there; you can rinse and re-wear, but depending on humidity levels, things take a long time to dry!
    -Hat to protect yourself from the sun a little more and at least a couple of cover-ups for on the beach
    -Bubble wrap to protect souvenirs (sounds silly, but it was very useful for us--keep this in mind if you plan to bring back alcohol or anything else fragile)
    -Cash for non-Couples employees' tips (drivers to/from airport and excursions, spa workers, etc)

Hope that helps! Just do what sounds interesting, and you'll have a total blast. Ditto the "try all the restaurants" and "try new food dishes" thoughts that are posted above. Take advantage of the all-inclusiveness to try broadening your horizons.

Congrats!! We are getting ready for our first trip to CTI too! Ours is in 12 days. I plan on bringing bug spray since there have been several posts about sand fleas/mosquitos in the evenings.

Lots if sunscreen & a good attitude. You will be on island time. Evening meals WILL take a couple if hours. You will have time to enjoy each course. If something is not right, talk to a manager. Show respect for triode hard working individuals that will serve you breakfast, lunch & dinner and I don't mean a tip. Smile, acknowledge & use their name. It's not necessary to carry on lengthy conversations, just smile & say hello.

Quote Originally Posted by kcsiemens View Post
    Honest, it sounds weird but try the soups!!! Our first time there they looked so good but we always thought its way to hot to eat soup. One day we just had to try it and we had it everyday after that. We'll see you there. First round at the island swim up bar is in me
    Oh YES, the soups are SO GOOD!

Great suggestions so far by everyone. I have a couple of things to add.

Lip Balm with as high of SPF rating as you can find. Apply it several times per day. During one of our trips to Couples we both burned our lips badly. Wasn't fun.

My SO is an avid Coca Cola drinker. However, Couples features Pepsi products. On our first trip we tried going off of the resort to get some Coca Cola. But Jamaican soda tastes different than American soda. Jamaica uses cane sugar and we use corn syrup to sweeten the soda which changes the taste. We spend the extra $25 to bring an extra suitcase. We pack a case of Coca Cola in the extra suitcase and my SO rations it during our trip. This also gives us plenty of room for souvenirs when we leave.

We also bring along a couple of disposable waterproof cameras. Great to bring along for the snorkeling trips. Also great for the beach. We still bring along a digital camera for other pictures.

We like the snorkeling. We go every chance we get. You must sign up ahead of time. Find the Water Sports shack on the beach. It is by the pier. This is also where you meet. The resort has adequate snorkeling gear for you to use so there is no need to bring your own. However, if you have some very good snorkeling gear and have the room in your luggage, you can bring your own. They have more than one location they bring you snorkeling. One of the locations even has a sunken ship to explore.

Suggestion. Sometimes it is good to go outside your comfort zone. Give the island a try. You must go as a couple. Keep in mind that it is not topless or clothing optional. You are expected to get completely naked. Don't worry. People don't stare. Chances are you will never see any of these people ever again. You don't need to disrobe immediately either. You can find a place to sit then disrobe. If you get too uncomfortable, you can always put your clothes back on and leave.

We return to CTI in 75 more days. Getting a little closer every day.

wow... thank you everyone for all the great tips and suggestions!!!!! We get more excited everyday. 17 days but who is counting.
    kcsiemens we will see you there.

Again thank you for all the great tips. I want to make the most out of our honeymoon.

Default Gluten Free Choices at CTI?

I am wondering if anyone knows if there are plenty of gluten free option on the resort?

[QUOTE=Mad Jack;232228]Great suggestions so far by everyone. I have a couple of things to add.

My SO is an avid Coca Cola drinker. However, Couples features Pepsi products. On our first trip we tried going off of the resort to get some Coca Cola. But Jamaican soda tastes different than American soda. Jamaica uses cane sugar and we use corn syrup to sweeten the soda which changes the taste. We spend the extra $25 to bring an extra suitcase. We pack a case of Coca Cola in the extra suitcase and my SO rations it during our trip. This also gives us plenty of room for souvenirs when we leave.

I do not like Pepsi either but we pay $45 each way for an extra bag. I just live with Pepsi for a week. We have so many carvings and hats and necklaces and t-shirts now that we usually do not buy any souvenirs now. We have gotten down to 1 large suitcase and 1 carry on for 7 nights

Iceweasle -

We are quite accustomed to guests with Celiac disease and can accommodate persons with this dietary restriction. Please contact us about a week prior to arrival and we will alert the resort of your special needs and ask that you meet with the chef on arrival at the resort. I would also advise that you take along any pre done mixes so that the chef can prepare breads or baked goods as gluten free flour is very difficult to get in Jamaica.
    You can contact us via: Contact Us - General Inquiry
    Irie i
    Ivonna Szelerska
    Couples Resorts

All great info!! Thank you so much.

I have three more... (for now I might think of more as we get closer). Do we bring our own beach towels or are there some at the resort? Is the electric the same or will we need an adaptor? I saw some people post about using cushions for floating in the ocean or pool.. is this right or should we bring floaties?

It's all there for you, and the power is the same. Just go and enjoy!!!