Thread: Romance Rewards

Default Romance Rewards

We went to CSA in 2004 and CSS in 2011. I am sad to see that the nights from 2004 have expired. We belong to a lot of rewards programs, and I don't think rewards should expire. That was our deciding factor on if we were going to spend our 10th anniversary at CSA. It's too bad Couples has a policy like this. So we were renewed love and got shot down to young love. don't get that. Other rewards when we reached gold level, we remain gold level. We still went to couples for a total of 15 nights. And believe me, we are only talking about a $50 credit between young and renewed, but it is the principal. I also never did get a departing gift last time. My message probably won't even make it on here. I have stayed off the message board for a long time, because I was shot down the last time I had an opinion.
    Mary Ann

You're complaining because your nights from almost 10 years ago expired?? These are loyalty programs designed to benefit those people who stay frequently. I don't know of any airline or hotel loyalty program that doesn't have some sort of time limit built in. I think 4 years is pretty generous.

We lost our rewards once just a week before our return. Bummer for us.

Everyone has their opinion. Respect.

Life is good

Big long thread about it already. Happens to the best of us. If that was the only thing infuencing your decision to return to Couples, I don't have anything for you.

I travel almost every week for work and try as much as possible to stay at Marriott family (Fairfield Inns, SpringHill Suites) or Hilton family (Hampton Inn, Homewood Suites) hotels. Every single year I have to "earn" Gold level for both companies. While my points do not expire, I have to stay at least 25 nights at the Hilton brand hotels every single year (and more at Marriott) in order to maintain the Gold level. And yes, there are some serious perks to being Gold (automatic upgrades, access to concierge lounges, etc.). So by no means is Couples unique in putting limits on the perks for their Romance Rewards program. Not saying it's not frustrating, but it is a business reality.

Almost all reward programs have deadlines, in fact airline miles expire after only 2 years! Look on the positive side and be happy for what they ARE offering you! $50 resort credit is not going to make or break your stay at CSA. Trust me, its paradise even if you don't spend an extra cent at the resort!

There have been mulitple posts on this topic and I think the greatest reply so far is that "Couples is not required to have any sort of rewards system." While I can understand your frustration, in part, we were there this past Sept. and lost 2 weeks 2 days before we arrived. Did it in any way inhibit our amazing vacation? Not a chance... So we didn't get water bottles and a received a lesser resort credit, we will still be back as often as we can... See Randymon's post on this topic as well.

I have to fly at least 25K miles a year to maintain my airline status no rollovers.

Amy

Please!! You haven't been in 10 years, and you expect your "loyalty" points to remian active??

10 years????,,,GIVE ME A BREAK....Where do these people come from??? It's for people like us who go to Couples at least once a year.

Some of you folks that have only started going in the past few years won't remember this but years ago the program was that a Repeater was a repeater. The perks were actually better, ala free flights to CTI etc. Once you had been you always got the same level of treatment, regardless of how many years between visits. It was this attitude from management that built the customer base and loyalty that Couples enjoys today.

Then the bean counters came up with a new system, then they changed it again. Every incarnation of the Romance Rewards gets a little worse for the customer, and a little better for Couples. Personally I find it hard to defend, but many people are okay with whatever they're handed.

This is not a frequent flyer program or a hotel that caters to business travelers, it's a vacation destination. For what it's worth cruise lines don't require activity to maintain your status level. So it's not unheard of.

Besides coming to Couples we also cruise. You need to have cruised over 150 days to get priority on a cruise ship ORV. You get more from Couples coming twice in 4 years then 200 days of cruising. A friend cruises 4 to 6 times a year and she was happy to get priority boarding and a free bottle of wine this time. I think $100 resort credit bets that any day of the week.

Maybe they should change the name from "Romance" Rewards to Loyalty Rewards. But I'm sure someone would find something to complain about that as well. While I understand the frustration it was a long time between 2004 and 2011 where is loyalty there? We discovered CSS May of 2012 and I'm currently writing this from the balcony of A32. We have been fortunate enough to have this as our 3rd stay at CSS with 2 more visits scheduled next year. Couples doesn't have to offer anything. If you departed without your parting "gift" maybe you should have said something before you departed.

We attended the Repeater's Dinner last night and it was amazing to seethe number of stays each couple had. The award went to 2 couples for most stays; mother, daughter and spouses were acknowledged for 17 stays with Couples. My point is that Couples does a lot for there repeaters that they don't have to.

We've had mixed emotions about the repeaters' awards. We've gone from the lowest level, to the highest, then back again. But it's not the freebies that keep drawing us back. It's the size of the properties, the variety of restaurants and bars, the assortment of inclusions, the amazing staff, and the wonderful friends we've met over the years. The VALUE is second to none. THAT is why we return. Not a couple hundred bucks worth of perks.

It is unfortunate when a reward/loyalty program becomes a negative. The reality is that these programs have become part of business and we as consumers have become accustom to expect them -- and they do/can work in building loyalty.

Since we are blessed to be able to go to Jamaica twice a year, the current design of Couples Romance Rewards program is not an issue to us at this time. But having traveled for many years I can say that while a lot of program do have points that do expire such as mentioned in above posts, most of them also have a parallel system that continues to accumulate and reward when you reach certain levels of nights/miles and once reached you retain that level (for example, Delta's million miles levels , or Marriott's lifetime levels). I can attest that since I don't travel the same today (retired) I value and appreciate having been recognized for my years of loyalty and today I remain loyal to these companies.

Bottom line from my perspective is that Couple's has an overall good reward/recognition program, but would suggest two changes to have a more positive impact.
    > 1. Increase the time for the existing program from four (4) to five (5) years, especially in recognition of the current economic environment.
    > 2. Add a parallel level that continue to accrue nights that count toward lifetime level(s)

Just my 2 cents...

I think 10 years is a bit long for you to expect your rewards to be waiting for you to use...as some have pointed out they were designed for repeaters...I agree that a repeater is someone that goes a smidge more often. We will be returning for our 4th trip in 6 years and I was bummed we would be dropped down a level because we will be arriving 3 days after 7 points expiring.

Are the rewards a awesome thing...absolutely. But if I really really think about it...it's on the low end of my decision making when it comes to where I vacation. We return because of the staff and because we love the food and the atmosphere and the other guests and no chair games and the pristine beach. That is why we return.
    Holly Irvin

I am new to the couples family and think the program is good the way it is. The progam seems to be generous and gives an insentive to go more often. If every one keeps complaing they might do away with it and we will have none.

If a free shirt and a bottle of Kraemer make/break your vacation, what are you expecting us to say? LOL

BTW, find the thread on the new shirts if that was the lion's share of what you wanted out of a freebie...10yrs later...they have changed them and people are OUTRAGED! (exaggerated for emphasis, and I like the new ones)

I went to Superclubs for years back in the days they owned San Souci and many others. The rewards program is much better with Couples. Returning guests with Superclubs got the 7th night free if you returned within a year. You got NOTHING if you returned on the 366th day. On top of that I paid over $1000 more than what Couples is currently charging and had NO resort credit like here with Couples. Keep complaining and maybe they will change it to 5 or 10 years and charge you a extra thousand to stay here. Everything comes with a PRICE.
    Jeff
    CSS May 2012
    May 2013
    Dec 2013
    Future Trips already booked
    May 2014
    Dec 2014
    Last edited by lotsastuff4u; December 11th, 2013 at 04:59 PM.

The way I see it we can complain about whatever we want, but they're filling the rooms so they can dictate whatever they want. When the rooms are empty, then we get to have a say. Simple supply and demand.

You are still a repeater even if your points have expired. If you've been before (and have no points) simply ask for your Repeater's Dinner invitation at check-in.

Quote Originally Posted by maryrnp View Post
    We went to CSA in 2004 and CSS in 2011. I am sad to see that the nights from 2004 have expired. We belong to a lot of rewards programs, and I don't think rewards should expire. That was our deciding factor on if we were going to spend our 10th anniversary at CSA. It's too bad Couples has a policy like this. So we were renewed love and got shot down to young love. don't get that. Other rewards when we reached gold level, we remain gold level. We still went to couples for a total of 15 nights. And believe me, we are only talking about a $50 credit between young and renewed, but it is the principal. I also never did get a departing gift last time. My message probably won't even make it on here. I have stayed off the message board for a long time, because I was shot down the last time I had an opinion.
    Between 2004 and now did you take any other vacations? Where did you stay? The point with Couples rewards is to get you to come back WHENEVER you take a vacation not just every tenth vacation. There's no loyalty if you're doing some vacations at other resorts.
    Captain Jim
    "I will grow old....
    But I won't grow up"

I think I would be far more upset that I didn't receive the tiny cooler with a bottle of water and a granola bar ten years ago.

Yes, loyalty, rewards, whatever you want to call them points and credits expire everywhere. I used to travel frequently for business. The Delta Silver Level is now gone, as are the hotel and resorts credits.