Default Delta Baggage Fee's

So we leave next week for Jamaica and we checked over our travel papers and I noticed that there is a baggage fee. I thought first bag was free, 2nd one there is a charge. So husband called travel agent and she said there is a 25.00 charge per bag. He called me at work and told me... then I checked with Delta just to be sure (as we always seem to get last minute surprises)..and sure was a surprise. First bag is 25.00 and 2nd bag is 40.00....glad I double checked.

Not sure if folks travelling Delta to Jamaica knows this...so heads up..for two bags, arrival and departure, will be 130.00 in baggage fee's....

Remember it it first bag for passenger. So for two bags assuming two are going, it is $100. I don't like the back door charge as not all airlines charge for the first bag to Jamaica and Delta doesn't charge for the first bag to the DR. Consistency would be nice.

Must be a while since you have flown, we only have Delta and USairways and they have been charging for a good while. We have Allegiant for domestic and they charge for carry on bags

The bags better weigh under 50lb or the fee doubles. Over 70 lbs and it's even more. If you fly first class you get 3 70lb bags each

I had the opposite happen. We're flying AirTran, the website says $25 for each checked bag. I called them up today to check on a separate issue and as it turns out, one leg of our trip is on a SWA plane so two checked bags per person are free for the whole trip! I had to pay $40 to get assigned seats on the AirTran legs though so that we could sit together. I wasn't expecting that, so I guess its a wash. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by drbcwp View Post
    Must be a while since you have flown, we only have Delta and USairways and they have been charging for a good while. We have Allegiant for domestic and they charge for carry on bags
    Yes, been 5 years since we last flew. We went to Mexico and our bags were free then. With Delta they are free if you are flying to certain countries- Jamaica however, is not one of the free ones. Also, because we are taking a Delta connecting flight, we can't take a carry on luggage...has to be checked so they can do the transfer to our other Delta flight.

Make sure you get that “FREE” beverage during your flight.

Life is good

Travelling to Jamaica use to be considered an international flight in which you would get a free checked bag, they no longer consider the Caribbean as an international destination so therefore the charge for all checked bags.

We pay $95 annual fee for Delta's American Express credit card and still save on baggage fees. Only takes 1 trip to recoup our fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris&Denny View Post
    Travelling to Jamaica use to be considered an international flight in which you would get a free checked bag, they no longer consider the Caribbean as an international destination so therefore the charge for all checked bags.
    Yep. We're flying United and they don't consider Jamaica "international" anymore either. Seems to me if you need a passport, it's an international flight. We purchased our flights with our United FF credit card so we each get a free checked bag.

You could probably get everything in 1 large suitcase and then both of you can have a carry-on at no charge so you could get by with $50 rt. The first bag per person is $25 each way, you only pay the $40 for the second bag if a single person checks (2) bags. Both of you could check (1) bag each and it would be $50.

Quote Originally Posted by drbcwp View Post
    You could probably get everything in 1 large suitcase and then both of you can have a carry-on at no charge so you could get by with $50 rt. The first bag per person is $25 each way, you only pay the $40 for the second bag if a single person checks (2) bags. Both of you could check (1) bag each and it would be $50.
    Ahhhh.. I see. Hubby and I will have one bag each to check- both under 50 #. Thank you for explaining that We leave tomorrow!!....