Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Dress Code for Restaurants

My husband and I have been to Couples 16 times. It never ceases to amaze us at how individuals don't do their reserach prior to thier visit regarding the dress codes for the resort restaurants. It states right on the website what is required for each restaurant. How difficult is it to bring a nice pair of pants and a nice shirt - not a t-shirt and shorts for dining - to the resort? We've seen couples enter Lychee with thier swim suits on and sit on the cushions. Good to know that the staff will request that they leave, put on proper attire for eating and then return for dinner; however, the cushions are already wet at that point! Would you want to sit on that cushion after that? Have some respect for the other guests! In regards to the fine dining restaurant where reservations are required, it is required for the gentleman to wear long pants, a nice shirt and close toed shoes. Again, we've seen individuals arrive in shorts and t-shirts. Come on Man! Please do your research on the required dress codes prior to visiting Couples. It'll save you time and embarassment.

FYI...closed toed shoes are no longer required for the guys at Lychee or Otaheite We were surprised to find this ourselves. A pair of nice sandals works well (not flip-flops). We agree with scooter151 though...save the beach dress for breakfast and lunch and step it up a bit for dinner. For the nicer restaurants it only takes a little more (pants).

Totally agree with you!! Swimsuit and cover up are great for during the day, but then we enjoy getting fancied up for the evening. I too am shocked when I see couples try to go to dinner in their swimsuits, or wearing t-shirts and jeans/jean shorts. I know it is vacation and a relaxed atmosphere to visit, but I feel like Couples is also a classy place and that it is respectful to dress up in the evenings as most couples do who visit there.

I think that the overly casual guest is the exception rather than the rule. We wouldn't notice it if it were a common occurrence. Perhaps our example of dressing a bit more upscale will be a lesson learned by less experienced guests. Smile, we will get through it.
    See you at the beach!
    dirtleg & sandyfoot

Let's not forget you are at a five star resort that has a beach and not a beach that happens to have rooms to crash in. Lose the "I'm a beach bum" mentality and realize you are not Robinson Caruso or a beach bum but a resort guest sharing a special vacation with your partner and others from around the world! Try to at least look like you have eaten at some place other than McDonalds or Wendy's and dress up a little. It will not hurt guys and it will make the wife or significant other feel better about the dinner and you. The dress code for men has been relaxed over and over. No more closed shoes now with dress sandals allowed. I remember when jackets were required at the top restaurants! Respect yourself and others.

I agree!! We had someone eating at Eight Rivers our last trip in faded ripped jeans and a cut off t-shirt!! I love having an excuse to dress up at night after being in a swimsuit all day.

I must say that I agree with you. My wife and I are headed to CN for the first time this Wednesday. Only a few days until we arrive. We are truly looking forward to being able to really unwind. At the same time, we chose Couples for many reasons, one of which is it seems to be quite a step up from others in the Caribbean. There's something to be said about dressing nicely in the evenings for a meal or going to a night spot. We are looking forward to celebrating and relaxing while enjoying the warm and wonderful people I'm certain we will meet. Thanks for your post and to all the responses!!!

I agree it really isn't that hard to put on a pair of pants and a shirt. It's not like they are asking you to wear a suit and jacket.

Wow. It really doesn't take much to spoil some of you peoples nights. Hey rckbert I bet it would make your wife or significant other feel better about dinner if you were focused on paying attention to her and not what other people are wearing. Maybe you need to lose the "I'm a judgemental clothes police" mentality and realize you are in Jamaica at the beach. Some of us have to dress up on a daily basis and enjoy being "beach bums" for a week or two. Although we always adhere to the dress codes at the various restaurants I couldn't care less what someone else is wearing.

I guess to add a different perspective, my husband always brings khakis and a muted color Hawaiian shirt for his "nice" restaurant outfit. To me, I think this looks way more casual than his usual (at home) fitted denim and tucked in polo. But I'm a hardcore rule follower, so if that meets the requirements (and he's happy), so be it. I just stare lovingly into his eyes and try not to think about khaki!

No, you are at a five star resort in the evening at the top restaurant on property. Not on the beach other than the night of the beach party. How would you dress at a five star restaurant in the nearest city or town to you? No one is saying put on a suit. A collared shirt, slacks, and dress sandals or light weight shoes is very little to ask of anyone. Still casual by most people's office dress codes. Respect...

I hope Couples keeps enforcing the dress code that is in place. We enjoy feeling we are at an upscale resort, instead of feeling like we are overdressed at the McDonalds. If you can't bring something nice along to go to the nicer resturants, eat at the buffett.

It comes down to personal choice...do you CHOOSE to eat at a restaurant with a dress code? THEN...you choose to follow the dress code.
    If you CHOOSE to dress casually...THEN you choose to eat at the buffet! Simple! Or just go to a Holiday Inn in Montego Bay...no dress codes there!

While I will continue to follow the rules whether I like them or not I will also continue to clearly state on my comment card that dress shorts (and only DRESS shorts not cut-offs or swim trunks) with collard shirt should be allowed at all restaurants. When I leave my office in the spring summer and fall the first thing that I do when I get home is ditch the slacks and put shorts on. Why would I want to have to don clothing that I am so eager to get out of on a daily basis while I am on vacation? Somebody above stated that the dress codes have been relaxed a few times. That has probably been because of customer demand. I am only 38 and to most people in my generation unless you are going to a funeral/wedding/job interview, dress shorts and a collared nice shirt is "dressing up" I am fortunate enough to already be a 6 time repeater (7th booked for Feb). As people my age and younger become regular guests the will of the customers will most likely result in the further relaxation of dress codes. Just my opinion, no disrespect.

Feathers is fine dining and "dress shorts" are not fine dining.

I believe that people pay a premium to stay at a nice resort with an atmosphere that is sigificantly above average. If Couples is to go the way of leaving the dress atire and social behavior to what ever the younger generation deems acceptable, I will spend my money at a cheaper establishment that already has that feel to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Randandbets View Post
    I believe that people pay a premium to stay at a nice resort with an atmosphere that is sigificantly above average. If Couples is to go the way of leaving the dress atire and social behavior to what ever the younger generation deems acceptable, I will spend my money at a cheaper establishment that already has that feel to it.
    The few incidents of drunken misbehaving guests that I have been witness to during my visits have all been people 10-20 years older than I am. In one of those instances the person was dressed formally. Putting pants on does not change somebody's personality/behavior. As Southern Comfort has stated above, why are so many people so focused on what people they don't even know are doing/wearing?

For the strictest dress code, would linen draw-sting pants, nice sandals, and a collared shirt be acceptable for men? Or does he need to bring dress pants and Sperrys?

Quote Originally Posted by softail19 View Post
    Feathers is fine dining and "dress shorts" are not fine dining.
    That is your opinion, I happen to disagree. At least I have stated that my views are simply my opinions. The funny thing is that if we ran into each-other at the pool bar we would probably get along just fine.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree, have a nice trip.

Quote Originally Posted by EricW View Post
    That is your opinion, I happen to disagree.
    The thing is that it isn't an "opinion". It's a rule set by the establishment; a requirement. I know that the fine dining (4* and 5* rated) places we visit at home would get a chortle out of a grown man in shorts arriving for a reservation.
    Quote Originally Posted by EricW View Post
    As Southern Comfort has stated above, why are so many people so focused on what people they don't even know are doing/wearing?
    Most of us are just fans of maintaining a classy atmosphere and following a SIMPLE guideline. Why are you so adamant about being an exception around people you "don't even know"?

Yes, that is totally fine. My husband wears those type of linen pants almost every night because they are cool and comfortable. For shirts, he takes all collared shirts, such as polos, dri-fit polo type shirts, and tropical shirts.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamaicamehappy:D View Post
    For the strictest dress code, would linen draw-sting pants, nice sandals, and a collared shirt be acceptable for men? Or does he need to bring dress pants and Sperrys?

ĒIf you donít like something, change it. If you canít change it, change your attitude. Donít complain.Ē -Maya Angelou

Swept Away Nov/Dec 08'
    Swept Away Jun 10'
    Swept Away Oct 11'
    Swept Away Jun 15'
    (Long time coming after vacationing in 8 other countries...it's time to return home)!

I'm with you, softall19...Feathers is a fine dining venue. Would someone go to the Ritz in dress shorts???? I think not. How difficult is it to dress appropriately? If you don't want to dress up...dine at the buffet restaurant or the grill.

I've seen this over and over through the years we've been going. WAY, WAY, WAY too many people are worried about what others are wearing. If it isn't suitable, Couples will deal with it. Otherwise, enjoy your time with your significant other and stop worrying. Some like to dress up big time. Others don't. I fall under the others don't category. We always meet the dress codes for Otaheite and don't eat at Lychee. Other than that, we are in shorts and nice shirts. I don't go to a beach to dress up. I don't need my husband to be all dressed up, nor does he need me to be, to feel romantic. We like to be comfortable.

It's VACATION....for each of us to spend how we choose. Not how someone else thinks we should!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast