Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Help us choose resorts!!

Hi all,
    My husband and I are planning a 10th anniversary trip in July and want to do a vow renewal. We are set on going to Negril but can't decide between Swept Away or Couples Negril. If you've been to both....we want your advice! If you have only been to one, would you go back or choose the other??

Background: we are only 33, have three kids aged 7 and under, one child has some special medical needs and our youngest (2) is very....strong willed....We are in desperate need of relaxation and re-connection and cannot wait for this trip. We won't get to do it again for a very long time so want it to be as perfect as possible.

Thanks in advance for sharing your point of view!!

Quote Originally Posted by rotha View Post
    Hi all,
    My husband and I are planning a 10th anniversary trip in July and want to do a vow renewal. We are set on going to Negril but can't decide between Swept Away or Couples Negril. If you've been to both....we want your advice! If you have only been to one, would you go back or choose the other??

Background: we are only 33, have three kids aged 7 and under, one child has some special medical needs and our youngest (2) is very....strong willed....We are in desperate need of relaxation and re-connection and cannot wait for this trip. We won't get to do it again for a very long time so want it to be as perfect as possible.

We've been to both resorts and neither is better than the other. Each has it's own qualities that make it special so it really comes down to what you're looking for. Here's some basic comparisons between them:
    - CSA is more spread out with restaurants/pools located at either end of the resort and buildings/rooms in between while CN has the restaurants/pool centrally located and buildings/rooms peripheral.
    - CSA has a longer beach while CN's beach is deeper.
    - Lodging at CSA is in buildings spread across the property to include some in the Great House while there are 9 buildings at CN.
    - CSA has more restaurant choices.
    - CN has a "treehouse" where couples can have a massage or splurge for a candlelight dinner.
    - CSA has a fabulous fitness area while the one at CN is a little smaller.
    - CSA has a nightclub with disco.
    - Both offer night time entertainment, beach parties and a catamaran cruise.

The thing you'll find is that no matter which Couples Resort you choose you can expect the same great service and wonderful staff...and your 3 kids won't be there so you'll get plenty of time to relax and reconnect. As an option, if time/money allows, would be to do a split stay between the two so that you can experience the blessings of both.

You're going to find many Couples veterans with a favorite resort so be careful about the advice because it can also be opinionated. One thing I believe you'll find is that there isn't one of them that any of us would turn down. While there is no "best" Couples Resort...there also isn't a bad one. It's all irie!!

Hopefully this and others' responses will help with your decision.

Bart & Bug

Default csa is my favorite

Rotha, we were married at csa and renewed our vows in 2014. Email me if you'd like some pics of the best one imo! clemonssara40@gmail.com

Hi all,

There's no debating...Couples Negril is by far the best choice! Just returned from a week there and we're ready to go back again. If relaxation and re-connection is what you're looking for, look no further! Couples Negril by far has the best beach, calm water, pool and the best atmosphere. All four Couples Resorts are awesome, but Couples Negril is a step above them all. You won't go wrong here! Enjoy your trip!

Default Css

I would consider CSS. Just got back last week, first time. It was peaceful, beautiful, and relaxing. Got back 10 days ago and I can't stop thinking about it. Can't wait to go back.🌞

Another vote for Couples Negril. Best resort I've ever been to, hands down. I went for my 10th last year, and now I'm going back again this year because I miss it so much already. Good luck and have fun!

I've been to both (stayed at CSA and visited CN). I prefer CSA for the following reasons:

- Better location. Within walking distance to the action on Long Bay Beach. From CN, you would need to take a taxi.
    - Every room at CSA has a large veranda, I don't believe CN can say the same.
    - CSA has a nightclub, CN does not.
    - CSA fitness center might be the nicest on the island
    - More lush foliage and privacy at CSA

CN does have a nicer pool and swim-up, but I'm more of a beach person anyways. Never really got into the whole swim-up bar scene. One other item of note, there is a massive resort currently under construction right next door to CN and will be for the next year or so. I've read reports of increased noise from this.

Gotta say Muck is on the mark with this one!

I have only been to CN but I have been an avid follower of the message board. I have not seen anything yet to make me want to go anywhere else. In 2015 we went with friends to Punta Cana in May but missed CN so much we went on a second vacation back to CN in August. Will be back at CN August 13,2016 for our sixth consecutive year.

We like CN over CSA. We liked the size of the resort and found CN to be more laid back. We ran into lots of large wedding groups at CSA.

Multiple CN trips...one at CSA last June, CN preferred but both are great, great resorts. We much prefer the beach & water of Bloody Bay, size and layout of CN.
    Last edited by Bert; March 31st, 2016 at 11:49 PM.

Hi all,

We to CSA in 2013, CSS in 2014 & CN in 2015. We will be at CTI in May 2016. So, yes, we are hooked on Couples.

CSA was tropical, romantic, great food, great beach, fantastic staff and a wonderful scuba crew. Our only complaint was we didn't have hot water in our room for over half of our trip, instead of moving us to a different room, they gave us $100 resort credit. Although that part of our trip was unpleasant, that was the only unpleasant thing that I can say about CSA and it did not deter us from trying Couples again the following year. We decided to try all of the Couples resorts before claiming one our favorite. We stayed in a Garden View room.

CSS was just as romantic as CSA, maybe more so in my book because it is a smaller resort. The special events at night were plentiful and we participated in each and everyone of them. The Beach Party was fantastic & the Gala on the lawn was unforgettable. The beach itself was good but the swimming area had a lot to be desired. I watched several guest step on sea urchins and get hurt, a couple pretty badly. My husband loved diving and still talks about his experiences. We spent our 35th wedding anniversary there and were treated like royalty by the staff. The food at CSS was the best of the three resorts so far. You need to be prepared to walk/climb lots of steps and inclines at CSS. Normally this would not be an issue but my husband had a total hip replacement about six months before we travels so it was a bit of a challenge. We stayed in a beachfront suite.

Last year we tried CN and went in Sept instead of our typical May vacations. The scuba staff were outstanding! The grounds were beautiful, the beach and swimming area was spectacular, the staff were friendly as ever and our room was very nice (Ocean view that trip). We didn't use the pool much but we did use the hot tub by the scuba pool, no one was ever there. The only thing that we didn't enjoy at CN as much as CSA or CSS was the food. It wasn't great, just ok. We tried the buffet a couple of times and was not impressed but there were other places and didn't go to bed hungry at night so all was good. The piano bar was our favorite.

We are SO looking forward to our trip to CTI this year.

I don't think it matters which resort you pick; you will find something that you LOVE about all/any of them. You can NEVER go wrong with choosing a Couples Resort.

The only thing nicer at cn is the pool. That's it imo. Muck is right on.

Default It's a toss up

CSA 5x, CN 3x and CSS 1x

It really is a toss up. In IMHO

CSA - food. It has 7 restaurants and the Banana stuffed French Toast and the Snapper Tacos at SeaGrapes for lunch are just the best. IMHO the food at the Palms and at Patois (CSA) was better than at Cassava Terrace (CN). The reservation restaurants I would rate the same at both locations.
    CSA - gym facilities are the best of any resort and better than most gyms in the U.S.
    CN - beach. The CSA beach is much longer but the shade is clustered up by the beach walk where at CN it is scattered throughout the beach which is much deeper. We always needed to get up early to snag a shady beach area at CSA and we never needed to do that at CN. CSA you can walk offsite both up the beach to Sandals and down the beach about 4 miles. At CN you can walk up the beach about 2 miles and down the beach just a few hundred yards along the former Grand Lido beach. (This area is under construction right now for the new Royalton complex). I also like the CN beach because is doesn't have the current that CSA has. The current at CSA will take you through the entire resort in about 15 minutes. At CN you will say floating at the same spot all day if you want to since there is no current.
    CN - pool. No competition here.
    Beach Vendors - CN Since CSA is on 7 Mile beach there are many more beach vendors at CSA.
    Grounds - About the same. CSA grounds are larger due to the size of the resort but they both are lush with varied plant life, ponds, shady and sunny areas. If grounds are important, CSS wins hands down here since it is on the more lush and wet side of the island. CSS is by far the prettiest resort with winding stone paths and lush grounds, but it doesn't have the beach that CN and CSA have
    Hot Tubs - CN all 4 are very nice
    Rooms -CSA. There are similar room categories at both resorts. CSA you can get a true beachfront suite while none of the rooms at CN completely face the beach. Most rooms at CSA have large verandas. All CN rooms only have balconies.
    AN - CN. It's not available at CSA
    Towels - CN. there are unlimited towels at CN while at CSA you have to turn your towel in at the sports hut to get a new towel and they usually run out by mid afternoon. Go figure.
    Both have piano bars. Donovan plays at the piano bar some nights at CN but then CSA does have a nightclub which fires up at 11:00 pm.
    Entertainment the same since most groups visit both resorts.

Quote Originally Posted by bows View Post
    I watched several guest step on sea urchins and get hurt, a couple pretty badly.
    I've seen something mentioned a few times about people stepping on sea urchins at CSS...Is this a common occurrence?
    Is this due too water clarity (can't be seen?)? Or is the water still clear enough to see them?
    We love spending time floating and hanging in the water with a delicious beverage in hand. I would hate to have this on my mind constantly....

We've only been to CSA - but have our first trip to CSS planned for next April. I don't think this is something I'd like to experience

Quote Originally Posted by jskow1187 View Post
    I've seen something mentioned a few times about people stepping on sea urchins at CSS...Is this a common occurrence?
    Is this due too water clarity (can't be seen?)? Or is the water still clear enough to see them?
    We love spending time floating and hanging in the water with a delicious beverage in hand. I would hate to have this on my mind constantly....

We've only been to CSA - but have our first trip to CSS planned for next April. I don't think this is something I'd like to experience
    I cannot respond to it being a "common occurrence" as we have only been there once. not sure if it was the time of the year that made a difference; we were there in May but it really impacted my beach experience. I found myself walking out just far enough to climb on my float, going out deeper where I could get into the water without having to walk. the water was clear but there was a lot of seaweed so it was hard to see everything down there. Hopefully, it was just a fluke while we were there but if you have see it mentioned on other posts, then I just don't know if it is common or not.

Keep a delicious beverage in your hand and enjoy!

I wear water shoes at CSS...wouldn't leave home without them.

Quote Originally Posted by bows View Post
    I cannot respond to it being a "common occurrence" as we have only been there once. not sure if it was the time of the year that made a difference; we were there in May but it really impacted my beach experience. I found myself walking out just far enough to climb on my float, going out deeper where I could get into the water without having to walk. the water was clear but there was a lot of seaweed so it was hard to see everything down there. Hopefully, it was just a fluke while we were there but if you have see it mentioned on other posts, then I just don't know if it is common or not.

Keep a delicious beverage in your hand and enjoy!
    Thanks for the response.
    I think we'll have to follow Bert's advice and pick up some water shoes!

CN-3 times, CSS-2 times. CSA-Trading Places twice. CN is our favorite. However, if they could pick up CSS and move it to Bloody Bay in Negril, it would be perfect!. It is that beautiful. Love the beach and pool at CN. Love the Jerk Chicken at the Beach Grill. Food excellent at all restaurants, IMHO, but can take or leave buffets. Love the vibe on the beach. Two things we didn't really appreciate at CSS were the buffets, (Gala and Beach Party) and the intrusive photographer. We are not big fans of sitting with people we don't know for dinner, and fancy or not, they are buffets. As far as urchins, the first time we went to CSS there didn't seem to be any issue with them. Last time we went, the workers were pulling them out of the water every morning, (tons of them). We always wore water shoes every time we went in the ocean and didn't have any issues.

Well we were married at CN in 2008 and we go back every year for our anniv in feb. we love it.
    CN is very nice, the pools are great, staff is awesome, food is varied and very good, there are casual dining and fancy dining.
    The things that we really like are the beach/ocean. Beautiful sand and you can walk into the clean water without concern of rocks/coral etc.
    Don't expect a lot of late night partying, most nights it's starting to get pretty quiet by 11:00ish although the piano bar and beach shows might run a little longer.
    The AN beach is very nice if that is something you want to check out. They have their own HotTub and their own Bar with "snacks", and their own bathroom.
    We just came back at the end of February and while the resort next door is under construction there was very little noise and never was it obnoxious. When the resort was up and operating it was actually more obnoxious with loud music and such.
    We will be back next year without question. If you are looking for a hopping night life this is probably not the place.
    IMHO

Wait until you try the food at CTI. Outstanding!

Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by jskow1187 View Post

We have seen just as many sea urchins in Negril as Ocho, not what causes them to be anywhere but you are not immune from them in Negril.

Quote Originally Posted by drbcwp View Post
    We have seen just as many sea urchins in Negril as Ocho, not what causes them to be anywhere but you are not immune from them in Negril.
    I've never seen an urchin in front of CSA ever. No rocks, either. Just pure sand.

Quote Originally Posted by muck View Post
    I've never seen an urchin in front of CSA ever. No rocks, either. Just pure sand.
    We have been to CSA 1x, CSN 3x, CSS 1x, CTI 2X, our only trip to CSA in November of 2011 our friend stepped on one. The resort Nurse treated her at CSA.

Another friend stepped on one several years ago at GLN in Negril

Quote Originally Posted by drbcwp View Post
    We have been to CSA 1x, CSN 3x, CSS 1x, CTI 2X, our only trip to CSA in November of 2011 our friend stepped on one. The resort Nurse treated her at CSA.

Another friend stepped on one several years ago at GLN in Negril
    Interesting. In both of my visits to CSA, I didn't see anything on the bottom other than the occasional star fish. No rocks, no urchins, no muck, no weeds, etc. Reminded me of the bottom of a swimming pool, only sand instead of concrete.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast