Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Opinions on Chair Saving Etiquette ???

I keep seeing posts where people are upset when guests go out early to save pool or beach chairs in their preferred spot & then come & go to them through out the day instead of sitting there all the time. I am one of the people that do this because I am up & out early (by 6:30) so leave hubby in bed to sleep in while I go sit by the pool or on the beach at CN & enjoy my favorite time of the day. I don't always choose the same location but we do have our favorite spots so choose one of those if they are open. When hubby comes to find me to go to breakfast, we leave the chairs & go eat. We then return to sit for awhile before taking our morning walk around the entire bay, which takes an hour away from our chairs. We stop & get drinks on the way back from the walk & return to our chairs for awhile. Then there's lunch to go to & we leave our chairs again. One or both of us may go in the pool or ocean or join in activities or go visit with people at the pool bar, etc. & be away from the chairs for periods or we may take a nap or read & be in our chairs all afternoon. You can't be hauling your stuff (towels, book, suntan lotion, etc.) everywhere you go all day so have to have a "home base" for the day or be running back & forth to the room dozens of times so am curious as to what people that have a problem with the "chair saving" want people to do exactly. I've never been at a beach resort anywhere that this isn't the way it's done .... I'm not saying that it's the correct way but really don't feel that we're doing anything wrong (& sure don't mean to irritate anyone) because we are not sitting in our chairs from the time I lay our towels down at 6:30 am until we go back to the room at 4:00 or 5:00 pm. I agree that it's extremely rude for people to go save a space & then go off for an entire morning of diving or something where they're completely gone & they should wait to get chairs until they are back. I also find it rude when a large group saves up chairs for everyone in their party but there's never more than 2 of them there at one time all day. I'm just curious as to other people's opinions on the matter.
    Julie

I totally agree with the way the two of you use your chairs. Our problems are the people that save chairs and never use them and the people that move your towels, sunscreen, etc., just beacuse they want your particular spot. We view these people as incredibly rude and self centered.

I think we're now assigning an arbitrary time limit to an action that is generally frowned upon. When we leave the beach as a couple, we put things in our beach bag and take it with us. We also use the opportunity to grab fresh towels.

I don't "hate" unattended towelchairs, but when we arrive at 6-6:30 for our morning swim and snorkel, and there are 4 chairs with towels laid out, it generates a bit of snark from me.

We too are early risers(6:30-7 AM) and like to grab "our" beach chairs set them up in the sun in generally the same spot everyday on the beach at CSA. We will relax a bit, go work out, have breakfast and be there for the whole day other than to go eat, grab a beverage or walk the beach or go in the water. We have never tried to "grab" a hut as we go for the sun. Taking our "stuff" with us everytime we leave just doesn't seem practical to us. April 2014 soon come.

Maxermie I agree that if you are up early and manage to get a seat in a preferred position then you should be able to come and go as you please during the day. I feel that the rude people who grab a seat and then go off diving for blocks of hours these are the people who need to look at what they are doing and not the people who use the chairs the way they are intended.
    You are on holiday and should not have to keep running back to your room for things but should feel free to go for a swim, a little walk or even a drink by the pool bar.
    Only 13 sleeps till CSS - Soon come

My first question is:

Has Couples ever made any policy on this one way or another? If they say it's okay then there needs to be some guidelines. If they say "no reserving" then that needs to be followed. If there's a problem then Couple's Management needs to step up and create a policy for this. Without a policy it's all personal preference and opinion.

My own personal opinion is that there should be no reserving of chairs or palapas. When you want to use one go to the beach, see what's available and use it. If nothing is available then the resort should start providing more accommodations for their guests. If it's a matter of something is available, just not where you want, then I say get up earlier and get down there earlier.

Basically it should be "First Come First Served"

Just my opinion, doesn't make it right, doesn't make it wrong and the reservers right. As stated Couples really needs a policy one way or the other on this.

I see no problem with leaving your stuff on your chair long enough to go grab some breakfast, lunch or drinks as long as it is not a long time.

What really annoys people is when some people get up at daybreak to go out and claim prime locations and then go back to bed or somewhere else for several hours. This is what should not be tolerated IMO. When you see chairs claimed very early in the morning and then see them go unused until lunch time it upsets people. I would like to see people claim chairs only when they are prepared to sit in them and if they leave to go somewhere for more than the time it takes for a meal they should take their stuff with them.

That would be my preference but I will leave the policy and the enforcement of the policy up to Couples and Couples Staff and hope everyone else will too.

Roy

There have been other threads on this topic. I don't think Couples has any sort of written policy on this issue. What they have done is to make enough chairs available for everyone, even if people choose to leave for periods of time. Logistically speaking, I don't think it practical, or necessarily desirable, for Couples to have and try to enforce a policy. Is it realistic to expect them to monitor the amount of time each chair is unoccupied by a person? And how is enforcement to occur? Can you imagine the headaches involved with people coming back to find that their possessions have been removed because they were away on their walk for too long? At least as far as CSA is concerned, I think the status quo is OK. I try not to let my experience be diminished by worrying about inconsiderate people. There is little to be done about them, so any thought given to them is a waste IMO.

Julie, I personally agree with you that a "home base" is fine as you have been using it for the reasons you have stated. I think people get more upset when other guests reserve coveted shaded spots under trees or palapas and then are not seen for 3-4 hours.

I would just say relax.. No policy needed, do you expect couples staff to monitor 250+ chairs? We go during high season every year (8yrs) when the CN is at 100% capacity... Even then there has been plenty of chairs for all. No problems mon! Enjoy your vacation and don't worry about everybody else's chair usage.. IMO

I also agree with the way the original poster uses their chairs. I think some of the issues have occurred because people will want a chair on the beach and one by the pool so they put a towel on both. They then may be gone from one or the other for hours.

In my opinion, grab your two chairs, go for a walk, go get drinks, go eat, go play volleyball but if you are going to be gone for an extended period be thoughtful of other guests and take your items with you or back to your room. We are all on vacation and just want to have a relaxing time. Stressing about chairs should not be an issue.

On a side note - on our last trip to CN we were told the resort was at capacity for at least a couple nights of our stay and we NEVER had an issue finding chairs. Oh, and we are not early risers.

Kurt and Angela
    CN 2011, 2013 and 2015
    CSS 2014

Thanks for voicing your opinions on the matter. I think it's not so much the chair saving that people have a problem with from what I've gathered but the "prime real estate" chairs being saved because I've never seen a time when there wasn't more than enough chairs for everyone at the pool or on the beach (even plenty of shaded spots) in 8 trips to CN. Also never noticed a big problem the 1 time we stayed at CSA other than people taking the palapas before the sun even came up. Did notice an issue at CSS at the pool with the pool bar because at the time we were there, there weren't that many chairs around it. It always makes me think of the saying "the early bird catches the worm" & I guess the early risers get their choice of chairs at beach resorts from what I've always seen. I don't think there's anyway that Couples should have to try & monitor the situation, especially if there's plenty of chairs to go around .... I don't see anyway they really could but I really don't think that guests should be moving other guests property ... That could get ugly FAST. Back many years ago before we found Couples, we saw things at the "S" resort get nasty over floaties because they only had a small number of them .... People would take them to their room & hide them under their bed at night so when you went out in the morning, there weren't any anywhere. I like to float early when the water is really calm & quiet so that was very irritating but I would never have stooped so low as to hide one in my room. Once, I got out of the water with a floatie, lay it against my chair while I walked about 20 feet away for less than a minute to take a picture & when I turned around to go back to get it, a lady had it in the water .... It was the only blue one so it was obvious who took it .... I didn't say anything because I'd seen other confrontations that had been so childish but I thought that was very rude of her. That is an issue that there's no problems with at Couples .... Plenty of floaties ..... A huge plus!!!
    Julie

Quote Originally Posted by KrisJamie View Post
    I think we're now assigning an arbitrary time limit to an action that is generally frowned upon. When we leave the beach as a couple, we put things in our beach bag and take it with us. We also use the opportunity to grab fresh towels.

I don't "hate" unattended towelchairs, but when we arrive at 6-6:30 for our morning swim and snorkel, and there are 4 chairs with towels laid out, it generates a bit of snark from me.
    Yeah... Sorry, but I disagree 100 percent! If I can't go for an hours walk, swim, yogo class, massage, lunch, etc. without someone commenting on me saving a chair (never "reserve" a chair early AM, but once I find one for the day... it is mine, plain and simple ) then I say... too bad!!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxernie View Post
    I keep seeing posts where people are upset when guests go out early to save pool or beach chairs in their preferred spot & then come & go to them through out the day instead of sitting there all the time. I am one of the people that do this because I am up & out early (by 6:30) so leave hubby in bed to sleep in while I go sit by the pool or on the beach at CN & enjoy my favorite time of the day. I don't always choose the same location but we do have our favorite spots so choose one of those if they are open. When hubby comes to find me to go to breakfast, we leave the chairs & go eat. We then return to sit for awhile before taking our morning walk around the entire bay, which takes an hour away from our chairs. We stop & get drinks on the way back from the walk & return to our chairs for awhile. Then there's lunch to go to & we leave our chairs again. One or both of us may go in the pool or ocean or join in activities or go visit with people at the pool bar, etc. & be away from the chairs for periods or we may take a nap or read & be in our chairs all afternoon. You can't be hauling your stuff (towels, book, suntan lotion, etc.) everywhere you go all day so have to have a "home base" for the day or be running back & forth to the room dozens of times so am curious as to what people that have a problem with the "chair saving" want people to do exactly. I've never been at a beach resort anywhere that this isn't the way it's done .... I'm not saying that it's the correct way but really don't feel that we're doing anything wrong (& sure don't mean to irritate anyone) because we are not sitting in our chairs from the time I lay our towels down at 6:30 am until we go back to the room at 4:00 or 5:00 pm. I agree that it's extremely rude for people to go save a space & then go off for an entire morning of diving or something where they're completely gone & they should wait to get chairs until they are back. I also find it rude when a large group saves up chairs for everyone in their party but there's never more than 2 of them there at one time all day. I'm just curious as to other people's opinions on the matter.

I think the only issues I see is the people that get out at 6am, reserve chairs (generally under a palapa) and by noon, still have not arrived. Last year, we noted several days when the people reserving never showed up. Personally, we avoid the entire game by never trying to get the rush for them, but there are others that do want to sit there. No one minds if you reserve that use the chairs. but we all need lessons in sharing and kindness if you are not planning are showing up at all.

Why don't people use the chairs when they need one and take their stuff with them when they leave. Who is going to decide how long a chair can go unattended? Who will decide what time is too early in the morning? What if I put my crap on a chair the night before? What if I run down to the beach when i arrive at the resort and put my stuff on a chair, do I get it for the entire time I am at the resort? And if I don't, who said so?
    Do people go to the restraunts and save a chair in the morning? Why not? Couples doesn't need to Police something if people don't take advantage of privilages.

Quote Originally Posted by Pulphead View Post
    I would just say relax.. No policy needed, do you expect couples staff to monitor 250+ chairs? We go during high season every year (8yrs) when the CN is at 100% capacity... Even then there has been plenty of chairs for all. No problems mon! Enjoy your vacation and don't worry about everybody else's chair usage.. IMO
    Thank you Pulphead! Our worst experience with the "chair police" was having a couple dump our stuff off our chairs and appropriate them as their own - all while we were in the water watching them!! Oh well….

My immediate thought (could be revised) is that you should not claim space until you are ready to use it. To run out early to claim it for later is just plain selfish (placing consideration of self before that of others). Sure, there needs to be flexibility (bathroom, food, swim). But early claims for future use strikes me as being in very poor taste.

I have been known to get up and go to the gym at 3:30 or 4:00 in the morning. I would never think about claiming space simply because I want that space later.

Here's the issue as I see it. Some folks get up at the crack of dawn to reserve chairs (typically at the pool) that are highly desirable for some reason -- location, umbrella, etc. No problem if they use the chairs. But a few end up reserving chairs for 8-10 hours and using them for 1-2 hours. The result is that other guests who may actually want to sit in those chairs can't . . . b/c people's junk -- not the people -- are there all day long. Is that really fair?

To be clear, this isn't about people who take an hour for lunch or a walk or a watersport activity. And it's not about having available chairs -- there are always plenty. It's about those who want to have their desired spot available to them at all times even if that amounts to only 30 minutes out of the day. And, quite honestly, it's only a few people. It happened during our recent trip (involving two couples) and it was the talk of the pool deck. As a result, other couples (not us) came out even earlier the next day to grab the chairs these couples had been "hogging" -- and the new couples actually sat in them. It was hysterical on one level . . . and depressing on another.

IMHO, it's not Couples' issue and shouldn't have to be. It's a simple matter of guests showing common courtesy to one another. Common courtesy dictates that, if you don't plan to use a chair until noon, don't put your stuff on the chair at 7 am. And, if you plan to be away from your chair for several hours, take your stuff with you. There will be a chair when you return; maybe not the same one or the chair you most desired, but a chair nonetheless. And fellow guests (not just your towels) can actually use the chair you vacated.

No matter what there will always be those people that save and don't use because they only care about what they are doing. I work the overnight shift so my sleep times are all screwed up. I am up very early and could get the best spot every day, but I don't. We just take what's available and enjoy. More Policy's are not the answer, common courtesy is what's needed. Just my 2 cents.

Bottom line imo, if your not planning on useing the chairs and palapas for hours don't save them and quit being selfish and don't touch my stuff!! Last year at csa, we went to seagrapes for lunch, gone maybe 45 minutes, our stuff was dumped and chairs were gone. So Rude!!

We've had differing opinons on the matter. The part where staff will go pick up items from the chairs if see VERY early in the morning is a new thing. We witnessed some older gentleman practically LOSE HIS MIND while at the concierge desk asking where his stuff went. I would have been very grateful to find my belongings not stolen, but he was flipping out because "in all his years he has never had this happen." He then asked to see a manager... poor girl had to deal with his complete lack of manners because he couldn't hoard "his" spot. We saw the same guy several times since the incident and had to laugh to ourselves about how this 60-65 year old man acted like an unmannered, spoiled child...

We go find a spot that will best suit us based on what is available, we don't throw the proverbial $#!&-fit when we don't get our ideal spot. It's vacation afterall....

Also, if you claim a spot early, please use it. If you do not intend to spend a good amount of time on the beach, come down when you are ready and pick something else out. It is a shame to see the best shade spots, which are in most cases the palpas, claimed but you only see people there for a very short time throughout the day.

We have been to CN for 3 consecutive years and have basically done as "Maxernie". After breakfast, either my friend or I would make our way down to the beach and get 4 chairs from the back row and move them down the beach by a small seagrape tree that no other chairs were near. This would be our base all day until we went in at 4-5 pm. We would leave the chairs to float, get lunch, snorkle once or twice during the week, and last year I also left to use the small sailboat for a brief time. We moved the chairs to the same spot each day because we liked that spot.

I agree people should not reserve chairs and not use them for 3-4 hrs at a time. But I think it is very rude for a person to move my things if I am gone a brief time for lunch or to snorkle.

I think adults should be able to do the right thing without forcing Couples to try to enforce some crazy rules.

128 days until I am back at CN !!!!! And do not get my chair!!!! See ya'll there.

We were at CTI a couple months back and nobody saved chairs. CSA is a bit more competitive. We have been to CSA eight times and have only sat under a palapa once. You have to sleep in these all night to get one. We like the sunny spots better anyway.

We have had our stuff moved when going to lunch. Some people should just stay home if they can’t play nice.

Life is good

I have no problem self policing hammocks in CN. If a hammock is unattended with a towel for more than a couple hours, I set it on a table next to the hammock an

Maxerine,

This post has created quite the amount of feedback so you can tell that people feel quite passionately about it.

We get up quite early and I wrote in another post, we stroll the beach and get a spot and put our stuff down. There are 2 of us so I take 2 chairs. And I will enjoy coffee, reading, etc. long before breakfast. But I agree with the others, I think it's rude to take 2 chairs and the beach AND 2 chairs at the pool. And I would never move someone's things. I am not on vacation to patrol chairs so I have no idea if it's been there for 5 minutes or 5 hours. And yes, there are so many chairs.
    What I get a chuckle out of is those that get set up for the day and then leave for the day. And when I say leave, they turned to us and said,' we are going to CSA for the day', see you at dinner. ???? I had to ask.....you set all this up to leave? So we said we would enjoy those chairs ( under a shady tree) and got...by all means, as the response. So I would say that if you don't plan to be at your chair for more than 2 hours at a time, please consider packing your stuff up.
    But, we are all there for fun in the sun. When I get upset, I try to look away or grab a drink.
    I would not say you are chair saver. You seem to use your chair throughout the day. Completely reasonable.
    My issue, as I said above is 2 people taking 2-4 chars at the beach AND 2 chairs at the pool. That is not acceptable.

Thanks for the post. It was interesting to read responses.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast