Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer49 View Post
    (snipped)
    This thread always reminds me of the seagulls from the movie "Finding Nemo"
    Mine,mine,mine,mine......

Here come the haters.....LOL
    Classic!

I don't think it's reasonable to expect Couples to monitor the usage of every chair. Leave that to the NSA!

As jamaican_junkie pointed out, the selfish in the crowd will likely continue to be selfish no matter what is said to them...it's just in their nature.

We just got back home from CSA a few days ago. Prior to New Year's Day, the resort was at capacity, and we usually needed to cover the length of the beach a couple of times to find two chairs with floaties (not necessarily together). Of course, it was impossible to know what chairs were unoccupied for a short time and what chairs had been unoccupied since 6:30. We would just round up a couple of chairs and floaties and move them to the part of the beach we wanted to be at.

One couple did get under our skin a bit. They had two chairs/floaties under a palapa and a third chair/floatie about three feet away so the guy didn't need to move his chair three feet to switch from sun to shade. And of course 3 towels while the towel hut was empty. Just a touch arrogant.

6 o'clock you say.
    This December I witnessed a man screaming at the guard because, "I come out at 4.30 every morning and put my book and a towel on our chairs", followed by, "How dare that XXXXX guard touch my stuff and take it to reception". Not pretty.

Cannot help it, what went through my mind, apart from disrespect, was temper tantrum, and where was the naughty step.
    Based on his apparent age, 1 minute per year of age, 60 minutes would have been about right.

Jamaican Junkie... please stop using the purple colored text... impossible to read

I was flying the other day. The man across the aisle from me was working, reading a ~20 page Power Point presentation. Just before landing, he started tearing the paper into roughly 2 inch squares. Then he put half of the paper shreds in the seat back pocket in front of him, put the other half in the seat back pocket of the seat next to him. I was amazed! He obviously had zero consideration for whomever was going to have to clean up after him. It was beyond thoughtless (seeing as he had to put a little thought into doing that). My first thought was "I sure hope he never goes to CN...he would be one of the chair guys."

At CSS we found the perfect solution - we go to SSB - much smaller crowd and plenty of seats!

I'm pretty sure this thread is started by Couples so they get a good laugh. Is good Mon!

It seems some folks are confused and thinks that a policy means that staff would spend all their time running around enforcing it. All a policy would do is give a written guide to let courteous, respectful guests know exactly what the expected behavior concerning the beach chairs is.

5 to 1 says most of those against a stated policy are the same ones down there saving chairs before breakfast.

Personally I'll be enjoying the beach from my premier BFS when we're there later this year. The last time I was there it looked like the best spot on the beach, you do have to rent it though.

Yes, lots of chair threads over the years, not only here but other forums as well. However, itís interesting to see it started from a different perspective. I totally agree with you. I donít have a problem whatsoever with people who come and go throughout the day. We do it.

I mean seriously, who is going to stay glued in their seat? If that seat is in the sun youíre looking at sunburn and heat stroke if you donít move now and then! I donít know about you guys, but I need to get up to use the washroom. I also get up to go for a swim to cool off many times during the day. Often my husband comes along (in the water, not to the washroom. We arenít teenage girls who need to go together. lol). Sometimes we float for a long time. How long? I donít know. I am on vacation and I am not timing us. Sometimes I look at our empty chairs from the water and briefly wonder how many people are steamed that they are empty. Perhaps we should take our towels and possessions in the water? I laugh to myself and then forget about them.

We have gone for a beach walk, but usually early, so we find chairs afterwards. Same with breakfast. Lunch is the longest we typically go for. No, I will not pack my soggy, sandy beach towels and our beach bag (sunscreen, sunglasses etc), plus the electronics bag (e-readers, iPods, etc.) with us to lunch (we do take the later), and then likely come back to the same seats again (maybe) and set it all up again. Occasionally we get way-laid.

Scenario 1... CN. We went for lunch at the grill. It doesnít take too long to have some jerk chicken. But we met some new friends and chatted for a bit. The auction started and we remembered we had some money and wanted to partake. It took awhile. We ended up with some Jamaican sauce. Then we went back to the beach.

Scenario 2... Again, we went for lunch. A rum class started up. We were curious. Hubby was more interested, but I needed to swim and went in the pool for a quick dip. While there an entertainment guy convinced me to join in for pool volleyball. I called hubby over and he joined too. It does take a bit to finish the game. Then we went back to get our stuff at the beach. How long were we gone each time? Not sure. Donít really care. But I wonder how many people were timing us? Seriously?

Vacation happens.

We noticed lots of beach neighbours come and go. Big deal. Nice people. We say hi each time they come back. If we know we arenít planning to come back, we pack it all up and take it to the room. I think the majority do the same.

Not all do. I donít agree with the chair hogs that donít sit there all day, more so if they are prime spots. It doesnít bother me personally. I just think itís rude if people do hog their chairs all day if itís a prime/limited location, such as shade, or the pool We donít take prime seats. We just have chairs in the sun on the beach. We donít get up early enough for prime chairs anyway, and I donít want the pressure that comes with them! I realize that many people absolutely cannot sit in the sun. Some resorts have more shade than others. Sometimes it isnít possible (or aesthetically pleasing) to have rows of palapas. So we leave them for those who really need them.

I already posted my thoughts, but I wanted to add something for those who are discussing policies. Hereís a policy for you!....

We were booked to stay at a hotel (a chain, but AI) in Aruba. Itís on a rather busy beach lined with high rises. Space is limited. The system they had was a palapa reservation system. They number all the palapas. Each person who makes a reservation is assigned a specific palapa by number. That palapa is theirs for the day and no one else can use it. At a specified time in the afternoon staff begin to assign these palapas for the next day. People start to line up prior to this time in order to secure their favourite spot, or any spot, depending how busy. Of course there are not enough for all, so people who donít reserve are left to sit elsewhere.

We didnít see it in action. The more I read the less I liked. We switched to a true AI resort on a really long stretch of beach lined with palapas. It was so hot there we needed one! Yet we never had problems finding chairs or palapas.

Much of the problem is ratio of guests to chairs and palapas. Huge resorts canít possible have enough chairs and palapas for all the guests in the 1200+ rooms (think Mayan or Punta Cana). Even if you have breakfast at 7:30/8:00 and get to the beach by about 9:00/9:30 it can be too late. People only get burned once (in more ways than one) before they feel no choice but to play the game as well. Itís not just the rude people who donít use their chairs who get up early to ďhogĒ them. Decent people get up early as well so that they actually have somewhere to sit for the day.

Couples resorts are smaller in terms of guests, so perhaps shouldnít have the same problems the big resorts have. However, they donít have the numbers of palapas, and limited seats by the pools. OUR experiences... (we realize that things may have changed with the addition of more chairs/floaties etc)

At CSA years ago I canít recall having issues finding chairs. Finding a table was a bit difficult, as were floaties. We noticed there were never palapas available. They were often empty with just a towel and a book. This past Dec. we were there for a Trading Places. By the time we got there in was about 10:30. There were no palapas for sure by then, and many people were lined up under the trees. We found chairs no problem to drag into the sun in the ďvendor zoneĒ but had to hunt for floaties, and hike way down the beach to find a small table for drinks. Not nearly enough! So when we saw a few people with two tables we were annoyed. WTF???

When we went to CTI it was over New Years 2011. High season. Resort full. We could find chairs ok, but floaties were a hot commodity. We even witnessed ďfloatie theftĒ as one couple took one out from under someoneís towel while they were away only a short time. It got heated and staff got involved. It was also a bit of a struggle for sun as it passed over the resort and people crowded into the sunny spots. Chairs by the pool were snapped up at dawn. One day we went early to get chairs by the main pool, then sat there awhile before a quick breakfast break to show we intended to use them. Same another day by the swim up bar. We didnít keep them all day, as I felt too much pressure to leave them empty. Back to the beach.

At CSS in early Jan. it was a totally different story. There were tons of chairs, floaties and tables. There was shade along the row of short palm trees. Weíd pack all our beach stuff all the way down from G block in the AM and go to breakfast then find chairs. Never an issue. I must say it was less stressful. Hard to play the chair game with all those stairs!!! lol

CN this past Dec. was a breeze, for us. It looked like the pool chairs were taken early, but we had no problems. There were so many chairs, tables and floats. Instead of taking my float out from under my towel to go into the water Iíd grab one from an empty chair. I wouldnít do that except there were dozens right there that never got used. Stress free!

Quote Originally Posted by RubiGal04 View Post
    Jamaican Junkie... please stop using the purple colored text... impossible to read
    Change your background to light or VB4 style using the dropdown menu at lower left corner of page. Then you can read anything.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelg View Post
    At CSS we found the perfect solution - we go to SSB - much smaller crowd and plenty of seats!
    Shhhhh.... that's supposed to be a secret.

Don't worry folks - plenty of chairs on the main beach - nothing to see here - especially clothes!

This topic makes me laugh because if it were not for the "rude" people who take up all the shade, my wife & I might have never tried AN!

Now we spend time debating if we even need a single bathing suit as this topic has never been an issue since (The answer is no! )

One of the many reasons we love coming home to Couples Negril is the relaxed no stress atmosphere that we sorely miss when back in the states. The reservation of beach chairs or pool chairs has never really been an issue at CN while we've been there and we go when it is 100% booked. Not exactly the earliest of risers especially because it is after all "vacation", we mosey down to breakfast around 8:00 and sometimes put our towels and books on a beach chair while we eat breakfast and then spend the day swimming, reading, walking the beach, lunching, etc using the same chairs but we are not gone from them longer than 45min -hour. Sometimes later in the day, we take all our stuff and move up to the pool bar and find a chair or two there for our stuff. There doesn't seem to be a lack of chairs in either place that we have noticed. CN accommodates everyone. One year we decided to do the Trading Places and went over to CSA for the day. When we got there, we walked up and down the beach to find a chair to put our stuff on. There were four of us and we couldn't even find ONE chair. Searched the pool areas too and after spending 45 min in search for spot to "spend" our day, we went back to CN! And even at 1100 in the morning, there were plenty of chairs for us on "our" beach. (CN) So, it may be a matter of insufficient supply for the number of guests at the different Couples Resorts. But CN always had enough. 21 sleeps till we go back home to CN!!!! Counting down since April 23!!!

Rubigal04, go to the bottom of this page, and on the left-hand side there is a pull-down box with different message board styles. Yours probably says Couples Dark. Try switching it to vB4 Default Style.

Quote Originally Posted by RubiGal04 View Post
    Agree 100 Peercent!!

It's winter and I'm bored so let me wade into this a little more.
    Some of you newbies and first times might be confused. First of all, what Jamaica Junkie said is 100% spot on, there will always be those who are selfish and think for some reason they are special and deserve more, and there will always be those who get their butt hurt over those folks.
    If you can just realize that for some reason or another they have to have "they're" spot, let em have it! Trust me it's a BIG beach. Me and the wife always just watch them in the morning, making their "nest" as we call it and just laugh to ourselves as we relax and enjoy our morning coffee in paradise. Damn, we change spots every time we leave the beach. Man if you are wound so tight that you have to mark territory on vacation, I'm glad I'm not you.
    Second, for all of you newbies or better yet first timers, trust me again this is a "Tempest in a tea kettle". Don't let all of this back and forth on this board scare you. Go relax enjoy your hard worked for well, deserved time in the sun.Couples is lovely and the beaches are great, I mean put in perspective, YOU'RE ON THE BEACH IN JAMAICA!!!
    If you have to have more than that, wow I pity you.
    Third, Don't look for Couples to make a"Chair policy" or rule. This is, Jamaica they hate rules as much as anybody. This debate has been going on since the resorts opened. And they truly recognize it for what it is....immature and petty. I have seen the admins post a "let's all be nice and try to get along" message once in awhile. But that's about all you will see on the subject. And "good on em".

And one more thing on the perspective subject. I was at the beach bar at CN one time, and I listened while a conversation between the bartender and a guest was going on. The Bartender was asking questions about living in the states, and seemed to be kind of impressed by a few things. Then finally the guest feeling kind of like a big brother bragging, ask the the Bartender "If you could would like to move to America''? To which the bartender replied "NO". The guest ask why? And with out missing a beat he replied..."Because I work at a bar on a beach in Negril"!!
    I just about spit out my drink!!!!! Yep, can't trump that!!!

Quote Originally Posted by michaelg View Post
    Yes, but are there lots of chairs??

MichaelandKristin

I love October!!! My husband always says why dont you book when its snowing at home.....BECAUSE I love Jamaica in OCTOBER!!!

We do save 2 chairs and a little table in the morning after 6:30. We use our chairs all day, except when we go for lunch (which doesn't take all that long). If we leave for longer, we will take our things. We've never really had a problem getting chairs again. There always seems to be a couple available. What irks me is when I see a couple have 2 chairs in the sun and 2 in the shade saved.............and they leave for a long time.

Thumbs up to all the people that show common courtesy to others. We never play the chair game. We just take what is available when we get out for the day. Don't think there will ever be a solution to the problem. That's why we don't play and let it bother us . Treat other as you would like to be treated. Irie

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelAndKristin View Post
    Shhhhh.... that's supposed to be a secret.

Don't worry folks - plenty of chairs on the main beach - nothing to see here - especially clothes!

This topic makes me laugh because if it were not for the "rude" people who take up all the shade, my wife & I might have never tried AN!

Now we spend time debating if we even need a single bathing suit as this topic has never been an issue since (The answer is no! )

Ha, that's us too! I didn't take a swimsuit last August - just a pair of shorts to wear on the way. We decided before we left that we weren't doing any excursions so I didn't need a swimsuit. My wife brought one swimsuit which never got wet!

Quote Originally Posted by Artie View Post
    Yes, but are there lots of chairs??
    I see what you did there Artie! Yes, lots of chairs as well as seats! LOL

Just returned from a split stay at CN and CSA. After looking at other resorts on walks on the beach at both places, hats off to Couples for not only supplying plentiful chairs, tables, hammocks, but, the floaties are the best idea since sliced bread! What I experienced at both CN and CSA was unmatched by ANY resort we strolled past. The mere real estate of the width of the beaches at both resorts far surpassed others. The vibe. Just did not see it at the other resorts. As I read above, be kind, don't create stress for anyone else on their vacation by removing items. Irie mon, there is plenty of sun and shade for all!!

We save our chairs after 6:30..........use them all day, but do leave for breakfast, lunch and maybe a short walk on the beach. I don't agree with people who save 2 sets of chairs....one set in the sun and one in the shade. If you want the shade then save them there. Take your towel out in the sun for a while and then back to the shade..........don't tie up a set of chairs in the sun when you are sitting in the shade.

WOW is all I can say about this topic!

I work with 3 and 4 year olds all day and at our school we call this "sharing". Yep, it's taught in preschool! when you're leaving a center (play area) you are not allowed to take toys from that center to another center (or reserve it) just because it's your favorite toy or item of dress up clothes. You only use items in the center you are playing in. In addition, if you leave YOUR toy and go play somewhere else, someone else may start playing with YOUR toy and that's ok. It's your job to find somewhere else to play. Now if you have to go to the bathroom, it's ok to ask a teacher to hold your toy until you have gone potty (and washed your hands, of course) and then continue playing with your toy.

Now I don't know about everyone else, but we chose an ADULTS only resort to get away from 3 and 4 year olds. To be around adults who act like adults, for the most part. We can all share the snorkeling time, the drinks, the meal times, the staff, the excursions...why can't we all share the chairs and palapas? Why do a select few have such a sense of entitlement? I just can't understand it. Like someone else said, I do not spend my whole vacation charting who is reserving which chairs, how many, and where. I'm spending my vacation enjoying the rest and relaxation with my husband.

We have only been to couples once (CSS) and have our second trip, a 15 night split stay to CN/CSS coming up in 97 days. During our first stay, we never had a problem finding chairs on either the main beach or SSB and it was booked at full capacity. We sat wherever there were chairs open. And you know what...we enjoyed it. Sometimes it was full sun, sometimes it was shaded, sometimes there were people close by, sometimes you couldn't even hear other voices-almost as if we were there all alone, just the two of us. Each time we sat down, it was a different experience. Personally, I would hate having the exact same view and exact same experience every single day of my vacation.

I would be sad if Couples had to come up with a chair/palapa (AKA toy saving) policy. We are all adults going to a beautiful place we all love with our someone special. Can't we stop acting like 3 and 4 year olds? Is it really THAT important where your chair is located? For pete's sake...ALL the couples chairs are located in beautiful Jamaica on a fabulous beach! What more could someone want?

I was at CN 12/28-1/3; the only seat saving that I found remotely objectionable was for hammocks on the beach. Since there are only 2 or 3 on the property, they should be strictly first-come first-served imo.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast