Default International cell phones

Hi, we will be @ CSS in less than a month. Our cell phone service has no international calling. I was thinking of buying a world phone through Mobal. Has anyone tried this company and how did it work in Jamaica?
    Thanks.

Are you savvy with tech? Unlocking a smartphone is pretty simple, and then you can just use a prepaid Digicel card...

We bought a phone from Mobal about 5-6 years ago to use when we go to Jamaica. It worked great! However, we only used it on that one trip! It is just as easy to call home right through the resort (we stay at CN) and only costs $1.00 a minute. We found that calling from the resort was easier and cheaper for us. One thing to remember - when calling through the resort - if it rings more than 3 times (I think) or you get the recording that says there is no answer you will get charged for a call ($2) if I remember correctly. Once we realized this we made sure to hang up after the third ring!!

Kris Jamie -No I do not know how to unlock my cell.
    Cands- Would probably want to be able to send and receive text messages and incoming emergency calls. We travel once or twice a year so a world phone may be worth it for us. Thanks.

If you have a smart phone, download the Skype app. You can then call home for pennies, using Skype over wi-fi. I loaded a $10 credit, which has lasted me about 4 trips to CN and I probably made at least one call every day. I still have over $5 of the credit remaining. Just let the people that you will be calling know that it will appear on their end as an unrecognizable number. Remember to turn your cellular data off in Jamaica and just use the phone on wi-fi.

Quote Originally Posted by mdtcoll View Post
    Hi, we will be @ CSS in less than a month. Our cell phone service has no international calling. I was thinking of buying a world phone through Mobal. Has anyone tried this company and how did it work in Jamaica?
    Thanks.
    So if you travel internationally a bit a Quad band GMS phone may be worthwhile
    If you only go outside the US once a year, its probably not worth it

There are a bunch of options and nuances for texting
    If you use iPhones, you can use iMessage on the WiFi, even if your phone doesn't work internationally
    You can use messaging from Skype but it doesn't go into the person's message box so they may not notice it immediately
    You can use Digicel. We did that a few years ago (cost about 30$ US) to get a SIM card with about sixty minutes and it had texting also
    You could also get a Simple Plan from TMobile that has free international data. This allows texting and calls are not too expensive
    Another option is OneSimCard which is a card that you prepay and can be used in over a hundred different countries

Like the previous poster said, calling from the resort is pretty reasonable if you don't use it much
    Probably for most people is more cost effective than the outlay for an unlocked GSM phone

hope this helps
    John

Another option is magic jack - they now have an app that will work in your smartphone

For $19/year you get unlimited calls with a local phone number - this means people can call you as if they are making a local call - but it rings in Jamaica!

You can download VIBR which texts through Wifi - but only through other VIBR users. My parents used this while in Europe. I stayed in communication through email - I turned cellular data off and just used the Wifi on my phone to email.

Amy

If you have an old cell phone that is no longer being used most cell providers will give you the passcode to unlock it and then when you get to Jamaica purchase the digicel international sim card. It cost about $15 for 1,000 minutes plus text messages. I have done it the last several years and it works great.

There are different apps to download and use with Wi-Fi:

VIBER for free phone calls & texts
    KIK for free texts
    (those who you wish to reach, must download also).

We travel quite frequently and have used both all around the world!

Swept Away Nov/Dec 08'
    Swept Away Jun 10'
    Swept Away Oct 11'
    Swept Away Jun 15'
    (Long time coming after vacationing in 8 other countries...it's time to return home)!