Default Credit Card At Ceckin

I have read in a number of threads here that you have to provide a credit card at checkin for any additional charges you have during your stay - massages, premium liquor etc.

Can anybody tell me if they accept American Express?

Thanks

Bill

You must give a credit card at check-in. This is because any additional charges while at the resort are charged to your credit card. Kind of handy so that you do not need to carry any cash on your person while on the resort. Things like off resort excursions, purchases at the gift shop, etc.

This is not to say that you won't need any cash. Tipping is not allowed while on the resort. A Couples employee can get into big trouble for accepting tips, possibly even fired. However, off of the resort is different and tipping is expected. You tip your the person at the airport who carries your bags, you tip your bus driver(s), you tip your tour guide(s), etc. So bring along enough small bills, usually 5's and 10's for tips off f the resort. Some of the vendors selling souvenirs also accept cash only, but most will also accept major credit cards.

Also, something we do. I contact my bank that issued my credit card and let them know we will be out of the country. I give them specific dates and places. One of the times we went to Jamaica or house sitter received calls from our credit card company every time we used our credit card. Another couple traveling with us had one of their credit cards frozen. Luckily, they had another card to use. If you contact the credit card company ahead of time you won't have this problem.

I would not leave an answer like this to chance on a forum. Contact the resort directly and ask them. See the link below.

http://couples.com/contact/general-inquiry.php

Only 35 more days until we return to CTI. Getting a little closer every day.

Quote Originally Posted by blfm View Post
    I have read in a number of threads here that you have to provide a credit card at checkin for any additional charges you have during your stay - massages, premium liquor etc.

Can anybody tell me if they accept American Express?

Thanks

Bill
    Yes.

What about Master Card?

Quote Originally Posted by danno1022 View Post
    What about Master Card?
    Yes to both- if you don't have a CC, they will take a cash deposit. We were just there in December and folks next to us- didn't have a CC...and they just gave them cash....you can deposit at least 100.00 or more. But just realize that you can only purchase items up to that limit, then will have to give them more cash, etc. At least that is what I heard the guy at desk telling these folks....

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Jack View Post
    You must give a credit card at check-in. This is because any additional charges while at the resort are charged to your credit card. Kind of handy so that you do not need to carry any cash on your person while on the resort. Things like off resort excursions, purchases at the gift shop, etc.

This is not to say that you won't need any cash. Tipping is not allowed while on the resort. A Couples employee can get into big trouble for accepting tips, possibly even fired. However, off of the resort is different and tipping is expected. You tip your the person at the airport who carries your bags, you tip your bus driver(s), you tip your tour guide(s), etc. So bring along enough small bills, usually 5's and 10's for tips off f the resort. Some of the vendors selling souvenirs also accept cash only, but most will also accept major credit cards.

Also, something we do. I contact my bank that issued my credit card and let them know we will be out of the country. I give them specific dates and places. One of the times we went to Jamaica or house sitter received calls from our credit card company every time we used our credit card. Another couple traveling with us had one of their credit cards frozen. Luckily, they had another card to use. If you contact the credit card company ahead of time you won't have this problem.

I would not leave an answer like this to chance on a forum. Contact the resort directly and ask them. See the link below.

Mad Jack, I'm not sure why you went on such a schpeil....the question was "do they accept Amex."

We're going on
    March 12 to
    CTI

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Jack View Post

Reasonable

Suggestion. If you really want to know which credit cards are accepted by the resort for sure, you should really contact the resort directly. It isn't all that difficult. Just use the link below. This way, you will know for sure and will not have any unpleasant surprises during check in.