Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cigar Smoking

Default Cigar Smoking

We are just back from CSS and I'm having trouble with the new smoking policy. I'm a cigar smoker and try to be very conscientious about not sharing my habit with non-smokers. I realize that not all are pleased at the smell of even a fine cigar. We have been visiting Jamaica since the mid 90's and it has always been very smoke friendly - at least outside - and Couples always followed that trend.

However, on this trip, I was asked to move at what seemed like random times. Some nights I could smoke on the Balloon Bar Patio - some not. Same with the Beach Bar. The rules seem to depend on which bartender or entertainment staff that were working. I did not see any signage outside, nor was there anything in our welcome package to guide me.

I'm happy to follow the rules - as long as they are clear and consistently enforced. But what I saw was not even close to either.

I hope that all Couples' resorts recognizes the rights of all guests to enjoy their holidays. While I know that we smokers are far from the majority these days, most of us want to be considerate of others while enjoying the pleasures of a fine cigar and cocktail after a great dinner. Please allow us the opportunity, while not offending our fellow non-smokers. Let us have a place to do so.

Cigar smoke kills my conact lens worse than cig smoke so please keep a distance from others.

Quote Originally Posted by zaraforty View Post
    Cigar smoke kills my conact lens worse than cig smoke so please keep a distance from others.
    I would say no problem, but if I'm in a smoke friendly area, is it not your contacts that are irritating me? My post is about ambiguity in the policy. Now, all that being said, if you were to present your concern to me in a non-confrontational manner, I would likely make every reasonable effort to accommodate you - even if I was well within my rights.
    Last edited by a1963corvette; January 15th, 2014 at 08:34 AM.

I couldn't agree more. The worst thing about Couples is the lack of posted rules. The "No Tipping" policy isn't posted anywhere. It should be posted in all restaurants and bars. As should the smoking policy. "Smoking allowed only in designated areas" or "No smoking" - either way. The rules need to be posted!
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

A63corvette,
    I hope this is changes. My husband enjoys a couple cigars while on vacation. He doesn't get many opportunities at home. It's one of things he really looks forward too. I don't want this to be a problem for us. I hope there are signs and it is clear wear he can smoke.
    One Love,
    Mya

Quote Originally Posted by Myapapya View Post
    A63corvette,
    I hope this is changes. My husband enjoys a couple cigars while on vacation. He doesn't get many opportunities at home. It's one of things he really looks forward too. I don't want this to be a problem for us. I hope there are signs and it is clear wear he can smoke.
    Thanks for the kind support. I find many non-smokers do not object to a cigar outside and I always appreciate their understanding. Couples really botched this with me this visit. After a couple of days and incidents, I would just light up (outside of course), kindly ask permission from those close to me, and wait to see what would happen. Regardless of the staff's response, I could never get solid guidelines. I really hate to be rude, but at a certain point my right to enjoy my holiday does come into play.

Please let me know if you find better guidelines than I on your trip. Because, otherwise, my wife and I found the resort just about perfect.

We are going to be at CN next week and both myself and my husband love our Cuban Cigars on vacation since we can't get them here in the states...well not cheaply.

As someone who is a former cigarette smoker...I am totally okay with a designated area. I think the lack of guidance, guidelines and rules from Couples can sometimes cause heated debates and problems where there doesn't need to be any. It's like the issue with playing music at the pool bar too loudly. I understand the staff doesn't want to tell another guest what they can and can't do, but that guest and their preferences are affecting someone else. Same with smoke. So have some rules...not going to stop me from choosing CN in fact I would enjoy my vacation even more so. Tell guests that they can play their music at a reasonable level and if someone complains they may be asked to turn it off or down. Provide a designated area for guests to enjoy the Cigars that they can purchase in your gift shop and allow non smokers to avoid the area. As far as tipping...that particular rule has been stressed many times on this board and is stated throughout the website.

One reason I think most people choose the Couples brand is because that we all pretty much pay the same price and are all treated the same (no concierge service and getting special privileges because you pay more than someone else) that being said...because we all pay the same...we all feel strongly about someone that may not follow the "rules" or don't show "respect" to their fellow vacation goers. To look at me, most people think I am going to be the loud rude one...I like my music but respect that others have different tastes so I play it where only I can enjoy it. I love my Cigars and should have the opportunity to smoke them just as someone else has the right not to smell or be around the smoke. It's compromise...very simple.
    Holly Irvin

it's funny that this law is being followed when several others are let slide on property

Quote Originally Posted by zaraforty View Post
    your contacts are bothering my cigar. feel free to keep your distance from me. thanks

We haven't been to Jamaica since the new smoking guidelines came into effect. It would be nice if they either posted the rules (a simple no smoking sign would suffice) or had a card explaining the changes in the welcome packet. Seems to me this would meet everyone's needs.

Quote Originally Posted by a1963corvette View Post
    I would say no problem, but if I'm in a smoke friendly area, is not your contacts that are irritating me? My post is about ambiguity in the policy. Now, all that being said, if you were to present your concern to me in a non-confrontational manner, I would likely make every reasonable effort to accommodate you - even if I was well within my rights.
    Spoken like a gentleman.

We were at CSA in December and there were signs at the Beach Bars and swim up bar on the counters, "No Smoking". We had also read that this past July, Jamaica became no smoking in public places or covered areas. I know Couples did say it was ok to smoke on your balcony. But no smoking at the bars, restaurants, lobby, etc.

When I am vacation, I like to indulge in a cigarette or three with a drink or cup of coffee after dinner- otherwise don't smoke- unless social event like a wedding (go outside), things like that.

What we did was grab a table with an ashtray away from others on the beach- if people chose to come sit by us, well, that was their choice...they could see we were smoking. I try to be considerate and be away from folks and likewise folks shouldn't come sit near us and then complain about the smoke. Other then that we smoked on our balcony. I am just always aware of those around me who may not like the smell of smoke - so do my best not to lite up near them.

A1963corvette, I most certainly will post an update about this. I remember reading, anything open air, balcony, swim up bar ect. Hey I'm all about following the rules, but, they need to be clear. Yes he will enjoy his cigars, no matter what. I enjoy the smell of a good cigar! 29 days!!
    One Love,
    Mya

I would like echo a few of the earlier comments made... I too am not a regular smoker but do for sure like to enjoy a few good cigars while away in tropical paradise. I would also not want offend anyone with the occasional cigar. If someone can clarify the rules on this it would be great. Or how about a specific question... Is smoking allowed on the beach at SSB? How about around the pool area at SSB?

I normally have no problem with people smoking anything in the open air except when I am eating and am down wind of a smoker, however what really annoyed me last year at SSB were people standing smoking in the pool itself and although they caught most of the ash and dumped it in an ashtray on their floatie (which obviously took up room in the pool), some of the ash ended up floating in the water.

I agree there should be designated smoking areas on the patio and the outdoor areas, balconies are fair game not sure how they could regulate the beach. I am talking about people who light up while walking down a sidewalk or next to my table at Palms, back in the days there was still a smoking section. I think it's nice that you would ask those near you. Contact lens are a just a nuisance but what if someone nearby had asthma. I acutally experienced this situation in an office I worked in where the big boss would lite up wherever and one of the secretaries had asthma. And BTW I do smoke a few regular cigs just not cigars.

I agree with bobandjudy. Although I will say that signs posted around the resort are an eyesore, and would slightly take away from the tropical paradise ambiance of the resort. A nice slip in the welcome packet, or something posted on the minibar or dresser or something in the room, detailing which locations are smoke friendly zones, along with other policies, like no-tipping, and chair saving etiquette would be much appreciated. I am not a smoker during the rest of the year, but when I am on vacation, I do like to enjoy a couple nice cigars. I also wear contacts, but will try my best not to irritate my contacts (or anyone elses) with my cigar smoke.

93 days 20 hours 9 minutes and counting!

Quote Originally Posted by cigarmanpa View Post
    your contacts are bothering my cigar. Feel free to keep your distance from me. Thanks
    lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We need more rules...more signs...we all need to be policed by Couples! The rule police on this board crack me up. We need a rule for this and a rule for that and Couples needs to do this and Couples needs to do that. My god people...get a grip.

Quote Originally Posted by cpanddp View Post
    We need more rules...more signs...we all need to be policed by Couples! The rule police on this board crack me up. We need a rule for this and a rule for that and Couples needs to do this and Couples needs to do that. My god people...get a grip.
    Do we not have enough rules at home? Chill out relax! Quit whyning. Your on vacation for land sakes. Live and let live. If you don't like it move. It's a big resort!

We were at CSS this past July I had the pleasure of enjoying my cigars at the swim up bar, patio of the balloon bar and some other open air locations. One particular day at the swim up bar someone complained to the bartender about my cigar, his polite answer was "I am very sorry but as long as we provide ash trays here he is entitled to his cigar as cigarette smokers are to their cigarettes, I suggest you switch your location mam." So if ash trays are supplied I see no reason that you should not be able to indulge, if the bartender does not have ash trays and says smoking there is not allowed than I would have just moved on to where I could light up!

Quote Originally Posted by The DJ View Post
    Spoken like a gentleman.
    Thank you. You are most kind.

Quote Originally Posted by cpanddp View Post
    lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    As I said, if I'm in a smoking area, is not your contacts...

I was allowed to smoke at SSB - on the beach, by the pool, and even in the pool (though I did not do so). However, Tanesha at the SSB bar did tell me I could not smoke at the bar, if anyone else was sitting there. She explained this was a new rule. As an aside, ashtrays were tough to come by on SSB - again I was told they were trying to reduce smoking at the bar. Sadly, I think this situation creates a bigger mess.

I don't have a problem with folks who smoke around the pool/beach area and in the smoking section of an open-air restaurant. If I don't like it I won't sit near them........it's easy. It's their holiday.
    Our problem arose at CTI when the couple in the room below us enjoyed cigars first thing in the morning, and early evening before dinner. They would lean on their balcony rail and puff away, but the smoke rose up to our balcony so we were unable to enjoy our early morning coffee and see the sunrise, or enjoy a pre dinner drink. Also, unfortunately, it wafted through our open balcony doors when we were laying in bed, chilling out, enjoying the sound of the waves. Our stay overlapped by three days, then they left. I'm not sure I would have wanted to spend two weeks like that!
    I didn't say anything because I wouldn't want to spoil anyone's holiday, but at the same time our enjoyment of the early morning and evening was cut short. I don't know what the answer is, you can't please everyone all of the time. Smoking will always be an issue for someone, smoker or non-smoker.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast