Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cigar Smoking

I smoked cigarettes for 17 years (and have quit for 18 & counting). I won't give anyone the business. But I have noticed that I just don't like tobacco smoke. It's funny - driving down the highway at 60 m.p.h., if the guy in front of me is smoking a cigar, I smell it. It's not a problem, but it is funny how a cigar can be detected on the open highway. My next door neighbor smokes grape cigars. My wife kind of likes the smell (not so much for me).

Smoke rising: We specifically request 3rd story rooms at CN so there is less of a chance I offend anyone with my smoke.

Corvette, thanks for being reasonable and considerate of others! It's simple, if I notice somebody smoking we don't sit by them, BUT if I'm already sitting someplace and people come up by us and start to smoke I feel as though I have the right to ask them to move. This happened to us at CSA beach on our last trip, we had been on the beach for a few hours when this couple came up, chain smoking cigs and sat down right next to us. There were not many people on the beach, the woman that was smoking put her chair less than 3 feet from me! I politely asked her to not sit by us if they were going to smoke, that there was plenty of beach they could move to but that I have asthma. She proceeded to cuss me out, told me to move and made a comment about at least it wasn't a nasty cigar. I was speechless for once in my life but just laughed. She was so rude that she even put a table next to my chair and used that for her ashtray! Now seeing what was going on Security came over and asked her to move. She argued with them, her husband was sitting there laughing and they refused to move.

After about 3 minutes I said something again, she proceeded to swear at me once more and I simply grabbed her pack of cigarettes and put them in her drink. I apologized and told her I tried to be nice but she chose the fight. At this point her husband began to laugh and told her it was time to move. We saw them later that night in Feathers and she was having an argument again with the staff because she wanted to smoke during dinner. She was a class act, arguing, smoking at cursing like a drunken sailor. Sorry if I offended any drunken sailors!

Based on my screen name you can guess where I fall on this issue. As long as I can smoke my cigars on the beach, by the pool, and on my balcony I'm pretty much covered. I've been to Couples Sans Souci twice before and no one ever said a negative word about my cigars. In fact, most want to know what they were and where they could get some.
    Cigar Dude
    Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

My cigar blog: http://tinytimblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Waynel View Post
    Do we not have enough rules at home? Chill out relax! Quit whyning. Your on vacation for land sakes. Live and let live. If you don't like it move. It's a big resort!
    Oh, how I wish it could be so! However, back in the real world, far to many of the anti-tobacco crowd have determined that they own all the air. Sadder yet is that they have chosen arrogance and confrontation over your much better "live and let live" philosophy.

Now I'm concerned! One of the many things I enjoyed & look forward to at CSA was being able to freely smoke. Am I understanding correctly that you can smoke on your balcony, but not in your own room? And you can smoke in public unless someone around you complains?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Now I'm concerned! One of the many things I enjoyed & look forward to at CSA was being able to freely smoke. Am I understanding correctly that you can smoke on your balcony, but not in your own room? And you can smoke in public unless someone around you complains?
    Tony-Jamaican government changed the smoking policy in July- not Couples or any other resort. Basically at Couples you can smoke on your balcony but not in your room anymore. No smoking in restaurants, bars, beach bars, swim up bar, etc.

For smoking on the beach folks are just saying respect is two way street, if you want to smoke, get an area away from others that are not smoking. But if you are there first and non-smokers come up and sit next to you and then complain, then not your problem. We sat towards back in shade and clearly had ashtray on table and we were away from folks....no one complained or said a word to us...some did look like they were going to sit near us but noticed the ashtray and decided not to. We just tried to always be aware of our surroundings and adjusted accordingly.

This is exactly what I want to avoid. I don't want to offend non-smokers and your "who's there first" analogy is valid. On the other hand, I can tell you from my side - I've been attacked in similar fashion - while smoking outside, by the anti-tobacco zealots who have appointed themselves as owners of all the air. I'm sorry that you had to suffer this and I hope that most smokers would be understanding and take the higher polite road. I never resisted a respectful request, but just like you, I don't like being attacked or cursed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2