Hybrid View

Default Prices seem to be going UP!

Have been hearing and reading a lot in Canada the last week or so about how travel prices are going to start increasing because of our lower Canadian Dollar against the American Dollar. We purchased our trip on Dec 2, 2013 for our return trip to CSA in May 2014 and we normally try to wait to see if we could get a better deal by just being patient. Well I decided yesterday to check to see if there was any changes in prices, I went to the website and punched in all the same information and dates and the price was up $464, and today I did the same and it was up again $517 more then what we paid back in early December.
    Has anyone else gone back to see if there has been any major price shifts to Paradise?

I am so glad we went against our normal routine and booked, because if these prices do continue to climb, we may only get to take these awesome vacations every 2nd year!!

CFThunder, every time you search that you will see an increase, especially if you do it back to back days. They use algorithms to tell them how popular a place is and that drives the cost up. Search it today and wait a week and you might be surprised as to how much difference it is.

Airfare is getting out of control. Less seat capacity over the last few years. We booked CSA for May back in early November and the airfare is about $900 higher now(for two), plus I think Couples raised rates since then as well. Our TA said wait until after the new year, I'm glad we didn't listen and booked. Same trip is $1,200 more right now.

With the prices going up, and in USA dollars, our dropping dollar certainly doesnít help.
    Thatís the down side to booking on the Couples site or through Couples by phone. Itís great that you only need a $400 deposit, but it leaves us vulnerable to the dropping dollar. By the time we pay the balance 45 days before, our cost could be much, much higher.

We book through our travel agent and do a package through a wholesaler. When we priced our trip for January 2014 to CSA, which was back in March/April 2013, the price had gone up significantly. Wasn't sure we'd be going back, but I saw a special on Couples for a free night. You had to book the trip before the end of April. the wholesaler had not come out with their prices yet, but our travel agent contacted them and they held the price until prices were available. She put our trip together, locked it in, and we are paying about what we paid last year plus a $300 resort credit. Added to our Romance Rewards, it's nice to have. I feel it was a great deal. People are still paying to travel.......regardless of the prices. Don't think the travel industry is hurting.

We are having to skip CN this year for the prices are more than $500 per person since last May - and the increase is not in the flight cost, it's actually the same. Our economy hasn't improved that much to offset these charges. I will miss Jamaica but have found another island trip that I can stay 8 nights $600 less then 7 nights at CN. I hope that Jamaica doesn't price themselves out of the Caribbean travel scene. Hopefully 2015 travel cost will be better.

Quote Originally Posted by jassycat View Post
    We are having to skip CN this year for the prices are more than $500 per person since last May - and the increase is not in the flight cost, it's actually the same. Our economy hasn't improved that much to offset these charges. I will miss Jamaica but have found another island trip that I can stay 8 nights $600 less then 7 nights at CN. I hope that Jamaica doesn't price themselves out of the Caribbean travel scene. Hopefully 2015 travel cost will be better.
    Which island

The DR - Punta Cana. I will miss CN so much, but I am happy we can still go somewhere. Hopefully next year we will be back on track for Jamaica.

We book early! And I really don't feel like we're paying much more than we did in 2006. Throw in the credits, and it's a total win!!!

I was in the high-end hotel and resort business for many years. Rates go up. It's a fact. Airline rates go up. The price of chicken goes up. The best you can do is watch for special promotions. Resort pricing is no different than pricing in any other industry. Supply and demand, inflation...all factors which determine rates.

Yes everything gets more expensive, but for the room rates to go up 50% from one year to the next seems a little crazy to me. We went to CN the second week of June 2013 and I went to book the same time this year and the room rate went up over $900. That basically prices me out at least this year. Hopefully maybe next year.