Thread: Windsurfing

Hybrid View

Default Windsurfing

I'm happy to have found this board! I posted this question in TA and have had no response so maybe I'll have better luck here.
    We have booked a couples resort for a week in March. One of the reasons that we chose Couples was for the activities it included. More specifically windsurfing, as it states on the website.
    Has anyone actually seen windsurfers at these 4 resorts? It seems that in all the photos show kayaks, hobie cats but never actual windsurfers. Hoping someone could weigh in!

Thanks

I have seen the windsurf boards (?) at the resort, but never saw anyone using them while we were there our first trip. I think people are scared to try them

Quote Originally Posted by sweetnessinthesand View Post
    I have seen the windsurf boards (?) at the resort, but never saw anyone using them while we were there our first trip. I think people are scared to try them
    Lol! That would be me! It's not my thing but my fiance is an avid windsurfer and kitesurfer so will be anxious to get on the water if he can!
    Thanks for your reply!

I've certainly seen people windsurfing at CSA many times.

I know css & cti have windsurfing and I've seen the occasional person do it

At css you can have days where there's absolutely no wind but otherwise they have a good area to surf

Cti can get a bit rough & very windy but otherwise is a good place to surf as well

I personally like the hobie cats better and you see those out all the time

Have fun!

I saw them at CTI when I was there a couple of years ago. I only saw them used a couple of times. I watched one person struggle to get going for over an hour. It was quite obvious that he had never tried one before. They finally took a boat out to fetch him. Maybe why you don't see many people actually using them.

We were at CSA this December and saw a few people out windsurfing. The issue is most of the time the breeze isn't strong enough to get you anywhere.

We tried then at CN. They're HARD!

Have seen and used windsurfers at both CN and CSS.

CN has/had about 6 to 8 sails of various size to select from and same with boards.

Common, good, advice is to go as early as you can in the AM to both increase the probability of flatter water and decrease the probability/number of jet skis.

Look out for the jet skis, particularly at CN or CSA.

Quote Originally Posted by rudi View Post
    Have seen and used windsurfers at both CN and CSS.

CN has/had about 6 to 8 sails of various size to select from and same with boards.

Common, good, advice is to go as early as you can in the AM to both increase the probability of flatter water and decrease the probability/number of jet skis.

Look out for the jet skis, particularly at CN or CSA.
    After four visits to CSA, conventional wisdom is to waterski in the morning, windsurf and hobiecat in the afternoon. Late morning wouldn't be a bad time to learn. Watersports guys are excellent, really helpful, especially with women. Never found the Jet skis to be a problem. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Norge1st View Post
    After four visits to CSA, conventional wisdom is to waterski in the morning, windsurf and hobiecat in the afternoon. Late morning wouldn't be a bad time to learn. Watersports guys are excellent, really helpful, especially with women. Never found the Jet skis to be a problem. Have fun.
    Thank you all for your comments and advice! Helps so much.

What about wake boarding? Saw it mentioned somewhere..

Quote Originally Posted by Norge1st View Post
    ... Never found the Jet skis to be a problem. Have fun.
    As a sad/tragic reminder occurred last week, I'll stand by my plea.
    Please, "Look out for the jet skis, particularly at CN or CSA."
    Yes, jet skis are now temporarily banned in Negril, but it is not a permanent ban (wish it was).

(see this post and related news)
    http://couples.com/mb/showthread.php...ski-operators?

We were in CN in September. One of the reasons we went was the windsurfing. I had never done it before. I was determined to at least get one good ride in. The water sports team were great. They were so patient and kind in teaching me. It appeared not many people windsurf there. I loved it! It's really hard but worth it. I would suggest wearing water shoes and even possibly biking gloves. The rope is hard to grab since it's wet.

Hope you really enjoy it. I did!

Kim